Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

I'll do you one better.

Go here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWyzQPqnP1wcGxsU1FwNlpITmFBcUZGcHBESXVfSkE&hl=en#gid=0

Use that spreadsheet and enter in appropriate values (there's even a tab for the program you listed above.). It'll tell you how much you should lift each day.

There shouldn't be any confusion as to how much you should progress. If you stall, eat more and make sure you're getting adequate sleep.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

2. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Nobody knows. You might be able to figure it out with a careful calorie count and diligent observation, but nobody else knows. I don't understand why people ask this question.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Please elaborate on "someone like me"

Throwing a football around is something I might do a couple times a year and isn't important enough for me to correct my form on it. I'd rather just not throw a football anymore. Or just toss it lightly for 30 feet or so.

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

What I meant was... since I'm new to lifting (for the record, I'm a little over two months into SS) I'm wondering if it's really worth it to eliminate OHP. It isn't something you'd want to eliminate is it, especially as a newbie? My shoulders end up being fine after a week or two off (till I end up aggravating it again :fu: ).

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

I've pretty much stopped OHPing. For a lot of people it fucks up there shoulders. I don't get any pain at all from them, but I'd still rather just bench. Bench+lateral raises+facepulls. Still test it once in a while to see if im progressing.

6. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

If OHP is bothering your shoulders try doing shoulder dislocations before your workout and even on off days

I started doing them a few months ago and have noticed a clear improvement

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

being lactose sucks ass especially when you're out with a group of people

i literally could not eat anything at yard house tonight and watched everyone chow down while I had a fist size portion of swordfish with some julienne vegetables as the bed, which tasted like it was coated with butter. it could be oil, not sure...
    immediately noticed some breakouts right after dinner when i got home. fucking hell.

i ended up eating fries, fish n chips (some fish i peeled off the fried coating), and veggies + sword fish.

bleh. i think i'm slowly disliking "american food". the whole time i thought about just heading to InNOut for 2 protein burgers (no special sauce) just ketchup and mustard.
    steak and potatoes is good to me, but not based in garlic butter or the likes. salt and pepper and some worchester sauce is good to go.
    i think i love more ethnic/asian food and it fits in more in my sensitive diet.

and random thought, but i'm also slowly realizing how this is killing my romantic life or what little there is. how am i going to eat with a girl when we go out? share dessert? shit. fuck.

btw, i managed to essentially pull the same weight at the gym but was very fatigued. 1-2 weeks back at the gym i should get back my explosiveness. also going to keep a more consistent log everyday.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I guess I should consider myself lucky but I've never had any shoulder problems whatsoever during my 'small' lifting 'career'. Doing chins/OHP/shoulder press/benching every week too. May have to do with the strict stretching done at the end of each training day or just haven't got to a point that heavy weights affect my shoulder. I have no idea but I'm happy about it :satisfied:

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I have had some shoulder issues and it has been extremely difficult to track down what exercise is the cause. I think I have finally landed on back squat grip being too close can inflame my shoulder(s) and then once they are inflamed things like benching and pullups irritates them enough that they cannot recover. Additionally, due to work, hobbies, and work outs, my chest has become irresponsibly tight despite deadlifts and pullups to balance my back. I have recently added relatively high volume back work (high volume for me) and that appears to be correcting the shoulder pain as well.

11. mrchariybrown

For some people ohp doesn't really bother them. But for some, like me, it bothers shoulders from the get go.

You can try shoulder stretches, rotator movements, and dislocations to see if it helps, as theecaptain and virus646 laid out. I do them and it keeps my shoulders healthy for the most part but not enough to do ohp'ing.

But if it keeps bothering you, like fuji and I said.. some people just can't do them without and fucking with their shoulders.

It's "being lactose-intolerant." Unless you're just a type of sugar.

Also, your breakouts are not being caused by your lactose-intolerance. That's not a symptom of it. Being lactose-intolerant means your body has a hard time breaking down lactose so you'll get symptoms like: flatulence, diarrhea, bloating, cramps, etc.

That is the worst for me. Close grip and normal grip.

Now I spread my hands out to a medium/wide grip. And I put my thumbs over and, the most important part, pinkies under.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I have returned to thumbs over as well while searching for a cure and it seems to be working. The pinkies under thing is new to me, but I can easily envision how it could have a positive impact.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are you guys who aren't doing OHP doing any type of shoulder work at all?

14. mrchariybrown

Try it. Works amazing well. It makes you so that you're "pressing" the bar less (much like a behind the neck press which fucks up some people's shoulders). Limits it because your pinkies can take only so much pressure until they break haha. Forces you to keep your whole upper back tight as an 18 year old mormon girl.

Benching and chest movements pound the front delts (and side/rear delts to an extent) so nothing else for that really.

Lateral raises for the side delts.

Face pulls and pull-a-parts for rear delts.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member