Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Meh, shoulder's been hurting so I'm taking a week off. Already down to my lowest weight, but worried that some of that is due to muscle consumption from not lifting. :(

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're joking :)

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

I don't usually get real bad DOMS from Squats (granted this is for my level) but after not lifting for two weeks over the holidays and letting my diet go to shit, I loved getting back to it yesterday. Even struggled a little getting out of bed. Love it.

Although my calves received more hell from jump roping for 20 minutes while waiting to use the squat rack.

5. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

That's a typical failure point for front squat. As weight increases, the mechanics of the front squat must differ from a back squat due to the need to adjust your joint movement to ensure the weight is kept over your feet since the weight is at a different loading point between the two. Although I'm sure this is redundant advice, I'll put it out there anyway just in case: keep elbows and chest up, and draw your ass to your ankles--I almost try to envision a magnet pulling my ass down to my ankles. Those two keys help me keep my back straight and upright so that the weight is loading vertically on my torso/spine. With the front squat, just a little bit of forward tilt can lead to failure at heavy weights as the moment arm is typically larger for front squat than back squat, due both to the position with respect to the hip joint.

Maybe try some hands-free front squat-- with light weight (empty bar or with some 5/10/15kg plates), rack bar on front and stick arms straight out so the bar is simply resting on the front rack position without your hands holding it there. Practice front squatting like this, as it will demonstrate when your torso tilts to far forward since the bar will begin to roll down your arms. Doing that helped me a lot.

You may also be hitting the end of easy gains if you've been doing them for 6-12 months now?

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

For everyone wanting a good cheap protein source eat pork shoulder. I pay $1.10 a lb, I think thats government subsidized so it might be more then that normally. Cook it in the oven for a few hours then cook it in a pan with olive oil, onions, tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, basically whatever you want. All the fat, olive oil and tomatoes keeps it from drying out and its delicious. Really good in a tortilla too with some cheese or spicy mayonnaise, stops you from feeling sick from eating so much. Can usually get 1.5-2lb of it in, in a setting.

Theres this chinese kid at my gym, probably a bit older then me, rail thin. Does every possible isolation exercise in a massive super set with ridiculously low weights, as in like 4kg 2 armed tricep extension, I know he's weak, but like he could easily do 8kg. Takes like every possible supplement, all those prework out stims and shit. Really want to help him, but I don't want to spend 2 hours teaching him form. Every couple weeks I try bench 135lb for as many reps as I can just for funzies and it probably helps a bit, got like 22 or 23 or something today. Asked him to spot me for it, went to failure and on the last rep I couldn't get the bar up. He couldn't get the bar up off my chest and then walked off when he couldn't. Had to yell for someone to help me and some big man walked over and pulled it up. No longer feel the need to help him.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Meh, I'm a fat fuck. I have to eliminate all the milk products for health reasons. Possible lactose intolerance, possible more severe problem. The thing is, now its just opened up this gaping hole in my diet. Need to fill it with other shit now.

I noticed that pork was pretty cheap in Costco. I'll have to get on that. Maybe throw a shoulder in the slow cooker or crock pot.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

The worst doms are post-DL. When your legs ache you can get on with it, upper body is usually alright too.

But when your lower back is stiff and hurting the next morning after deads, it just sucks to move.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

never really get DOMS from deads, high reps, 1RM, high volume high weight, just never really feel them. Lower back shouldn't be actually hurting like acute pain, might be sore, but if your getting sharp pain your probably not doing it right.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

No it's not sharp at all. Just an ache.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

+1 On the pork shoulder. I think a few months ago we were all extolling Its benefits. Play around with different recipes for carnitas. Also if you put it in the slow cooker, get a recipe for a BBQ rub and smother your shoulder in it. After the shoulder is done cooking, reserve the liquid and you will have the best BBQ sauce you will have ever had. Works great for pulled pork sandwiches (although the buns contain those nasty carbs).

As for those thighs, pan sear and then braise them and you could make some pulled chix.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Sorry, based on what you wrote I thought you meant actual pain, not just DOMS.

Another good protein meal is chicken parmesan. Makes eating chicken breast so much easier, I always cut the bread crumbs off it, but just cooking it with it on keeps it moist. Also if you cut open a chicken breast, but some cheese and ham on it and put some bread crumbs on it, its much more palatable, not all dry.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Yeah, if you let the bar slip forward even an inch it becomes really, really difficult to get out of the hole due to the added torque. It's more easily seen in a clean, if you receive it with a rounded upper back, an easy 2RM will turn into a nasty max effort.

It's probably this and just an overall lack of strength.. I think I'm pretty soon hitting the point where limit strength, not technique will be the thing holding me back.

14. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Have i really maintained 175lb for over 2 weeks eating only 2000 calories per day. I thought my maintenance level would be like 3000.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

Still don't understand why your trying to cut.

http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm

thought I'd post this here

class 3 deadlift
    class 4 squat
    not even on the chart for my bench.

Feels badman, if I lost like 2lb I'd have a much better total. Bottom of my weight class.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012