Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Haven't had DOMS this bad since I started squatting. Did squats, bottom up squats, good mornings working up to a single and speed deadlifts yesterday. Hamstrings are burning.

Also realised I can do hanging leg raises to the ceiling. Always assumed I was too weak for them, but they're pretty easy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This morning, my wife is watching some sort of women's crossfit championship on ESPN2. She's getting really enthused, commenting on how fit these women seem.

I am just appalled. Some of these women's cleans and jerks should legitimately kill them from piss-poor form.

3. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Dont seem to have lost any strength on the bench despite losing weight, can still push the same 55kg x 3 x 5 that i could at the end of SS. I noticed a lot of other guys are unracking the bar from the lower hooks rather than the top ones, might have to try that myself. I racked up 60kg to attempt a single, but couldnt unrack it and there was nobody really to spot me. Probably would have been able to unrack if it was on the lower hooks, but i always thought you should unrack and return the bar with locked elbows to avoid dropping it on your face.

4. theom-

theom- Senior member

what?

After reading this, my advice is that you stop worrying about your body fat and gaining weight and all that bullshit. Just get your lifts up and everything else will follow. You're priorities need to be rearranged if you are worrying about body fat when your bench is only 55kg.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Agreed. Cannot bench a plate, don't worry about bf% and get stronger. Not gonna have a good torso if you can't bench 60kg.

6. APK

APK Senior member

I will co-sign what these guys have said. I worried about body fat constantly and used that as an excuse to not lift heavy. I got my leanest while I was doing heavy deadlifts, squats and presses. Poor nutrition is the only reason I accumulated body fat later in the year.

And from what I remember, you're a pretty lanky guy who has trouble putting on weight. So embrace that and stop over-analyzing.

7. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Im not that concerned about BF, i just dont want it getting out of control. My waist was fast approaching 34". Probably start bulking and back on SS this week, got plenty of oats and 1kg of peanut butter from myprotein.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

You sound like me last summer. Leanest I probably ever was but was only benching about 120lbs (and constantly scrutinizing what I was eating). Finally decided to stop over-analyzing, hopped on a strength program and started eating 2800-3000cal/day (not even that cleanly either... seriously, feelsgoodman.jpg).

20lbs heavier, yes a tiny bit fatter, but I just benched 135lbs for 5x5 a few days ago... easily. My two cents: as long as you're training regularly and not eating like COMPLETE shit, there's no way your bf is going to get out of control.

9. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

There is an enormous false dichotomy here: there are way more options in improving your fitness than simply "eat more, lift more, get fat" vs. "eat less, lift less, get lean". Ignore that Rippetoe GOMAD bull and just eat a a few hundred calories over maintenance with mostly clean foods, rather than stuffing your mouth around the clock, to bulk up and increase your lifts without gaining a lot of body fat. If you're concerned with being lean then add cardio, it really won't affect your lifting that much.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Cardio won't make you leaner if your still in a caloric excess.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

This is not necessarily true. Hamilton has written several pieces disproving this.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

i think it takes awhile for people to buckle down and focus on the important stuff. took me years of terrible dieting and brutal routines and worrying about my bodyfat with a 100lb bench before i focused on important stuff. now that i look back im pretty sure i was 100% nub even up to september. after 5 years of "lifting" it literally came together three months ago and ive never made better progress than i have recently.

it is honestly so shit simple that im kicking myself in the ass for not appreciating that fact sooner.

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Oats and a tub of peanut butter are probably not going to be your best sources for protein. Never mind their nutritional value of poop.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Please enlighten us as your nutritional knowledge is clearly superior to that of Jim Wendler, Dave Tate and Louie Simmons and many others who all recommend the consumption of oats. I assume you have a total more then 2000lb because you are disagreeing with some very strong and fit people who recommend the consumption of oats for putting on muscle mass.

Oh fuck forgot oats are evil, must eat cave man style and do cross fit.

15. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Any links with their reasoning behind using oats for muscle growth? Do you do it? I thought you ate a lot of fish and lamb?