Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

When I read through SPBR, it looked like an intermediate program you do after SS/SL. Most of the intermediate programs seem to place less emphasis on bench/dl/ohp/squat (meaning fewer sets a week) and more assistance movements.

If you're trying to get your squat and bench up, imo, you should be doing something like SS/SL instead... or at least follow the same linear progression of +5lbs every workout if you stick to SPBR. Your numbers are similar to mine and I'm making gains every single workout (well before I fucked up my hip).

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Can't really squat wide and high bar. You pretty much sit down between your legs when your squatting high bar, squatting wide is about sitting back and bending at the hips. No wounder it feels easier, trying to sit down between your legs when they're wide is awkward as fuck.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

My upper back is killing me... did snatch pulls off a riser (yeah I watched that Klokov vid). 10x3x80kg hurts so good.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i'm so confused now honestly lol!

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Upped my KB weight to 44 lbs for all the exercises. Totally smoked yet again.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

toasty man, im not trying to be an asshole, but did you even read the SPBR thread on ironaddicts? it explicitly states how you should progress, and suitable exercise substitutions ie. pullthroughs instead of GHRS, not hyperextensions. if you can lift a weight at the prescribed set/reps, ie. you hit 135x5x3 for squat, then you toss on 5lbs the next time you squat. you shouldn't be doing 135 for weeks and weeks and weeks and then decide to suddenly throw on 20lbs. im not trying to be an ass but virtually every issue you're experiencing with the program is addressed in the spbr thread.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

no i did not read honestly, i am taking advice from you guys.

i would add weight regardless of having read the entirety of IA thread, but half the time the next weight up is too heavy or I just forget. i trust you dudes more than what i can read online. i actually have taken all the criticism and suggestions and it has not failed me yet.
    it has more to do with the timing than actually understanding the general idea behind a routine.

i just do not know when my body is ready.

thanks for being blunt though, perhaps i need check myself and rethink what i'm doing.

And here is the general timeline if it all matters:
    I'll just assumed I began my routine the same day I began work, Oct. 17

Rather than boring you dudes with the detail, here is what happened in about 3 months.
    Beginning DL, Squat, Bench = 25lb, 25lb, 25lb (35lb?) ---> Current: 225, 135, 135.
    But it was not like I added 5lb+ each week...it was more like Oct. start --> Nov Jumped up --> Dec. jumped up even more. Right when I fixed my technique for DL/Squat, those weights went up dramatically.

And my diet is kind of up and down...I can't do anything about that (0). If you want to think about good and bad days, it is pretty much neutral.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

8. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

This is why you need to be recording your workouts in a logbook. I don't understand how guys can show up at the gym without one.

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

http://www.strstd.com/ FTW

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Keep all that shit in my head. I'm way too lazy to write down my weekly sets, reps, and weights. Only benefit I could see would be starting a spreadsheet and plotting out growth for analysis/hardcore broscience purposes.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

according to strstd i have intermediate bench and squat, nearly advanced deadlift and novice overhead press :embar:

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That thing is way off. Lol, I wish my bench was "373"

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

seriously, my shoulder has been busted for a few weeks and i am benching girly weight but am still intermediate:slayer:

15. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

I usually go to the gym in the morning, but my schedule got messed up yesterday and I went in at night. Usually, the mornings have a couple morons but nothing too crazy; last night, however, was fucking ridiculous. I saw:

-A group of unathletic looking 16 year olds put the bar at the top of the squat rack, then proceeded to do chins on the bar. While one did chins the other two would do situps in the power rack.

-Some hipster guy that was training his surprisingly hot girlfriend. He had her doing those bosu ball squat curls or whatever you call them and a bunch of other ridiculous exercises.

-Some huge guy came in, bench pressed 225 or so for a few reps screaming at the top of his lungs, then left.

-Some bro curling way more than he should have doing half curl/half pelvic thrust.

I guess the last three really aren't that unusual, but chins in the squat rack wtf? The best part is that there is a chinup/pullup bar literally 10 feet away that was completely unoccupied.