Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I wasn't sure if this were true, so I peaked exrx to compare and it looks fairly accurate, however his DL could be outstripping his other lifts and present a false picture. That's how I would describe my DL - it is elevated compared to the others.

2. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Basically what everyone else said (linear progression). Keep adding 5lbs to the bar every squat workout until you stall. Also, hyperextensions aren't really a substitute for GHR (pullthroughs are though).

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Was showing my friend how to do an overhead squat. Put the bar on my back and jerked it up. Barbell went straight into the back of my skull and then I dropped it and it landed on my neck. Can't extend my neck back or keep it straight, feels badman. Guessing with a epsom salt bath, some stretching and a days rest it should be better. Felt something in my head go all tense and painful today when I was bench pressing, kind of like a really bad head ache, but in the side of my head, think it was just from exerting myself. Gonna be hard to keep my chest up on squats without pushing my neck up. Still PRed my overhead press got 135lb, kind of shit, not very strong, but I suppose it's ok.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah back hyper is a lower back flexion exercise. GHR works your lower back ismoetrically and is a knee flexion exercise. Pull throughs aren't even that good a substitute because all though they are are a hamstring and lower back exercise they're a hip hinge movement not a knee flexion movement. Only thing which is really similar to a GHR is doing like a leg curl then a hamstring hip hinge movement like a good mornings, RDL or pull through. I just think you should do good mornings or RDLs personally.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Haven't done a single squat, deadlift, or bent-over anything in over a week. Going to attempt some body weight squats tonight. If it doesn't go well, I'm going schedule a doctor appointment in the morning.

Still making gains on my bench and ohp though.

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Well I add on weight very slowly, so cannot really be said as progressive? I tend to move by months instead of weeks.

My form is good, not great, but good I believe. When performing DL, I use all my leg and upper body.
    I will add 20lbs next week to squat, I can do it. Just want to be sure I can complete 2x5 or 3x5

And I think you read wrong fuji, my bench is 135lbs...I am sure you bench way more than that. My bench is actually the weakest of the 3

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If you're benching and squatting 1 plate and dl 2 plates, your squat is your weakest. Did you do SS or SL or any linear program before SPBR? Why would you squat 135 and then suddenly throw on another 20? :puzzled:

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Nah I read it right. I think 135/135/225 is a pretty high bench.compared to your other lifts.When I deadlifted 100kg for the first time my bench was like 40kg. Thats like nearly 2/3 of your deadlift. My bench is just over half my dead and 2/3 my squat about. Usually do work sets in the 70kg-80kg range, except once a weak where I do my pussy equivalent of the NFL combine and bench 135lb till failure.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

SPBR is my first and only routine I have done.

what is wrong with adding 20lbs? 135lb and add on 10lb plates on each side.

Are you saying I should go lower? Or load more?

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

that's roughly a 15% increase in load, the dudes are probably just saying that it might feel heavy. OR then again it might not, in which case it was the right move. Linear progressions usually work with smaller increases IIRC.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I was able to squat 155lb ... I may go for 2x5, which is what SPBR has listed, rather than the 3x5 I have been doing.

I find it more difficult when my stance is winder than narrow...? I can explode up quicker/easier when I feel my legs at a narrower stance than say "sumo"/wide stance

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

a narrower stance works much better for a high bar squat, a wider stance is good for low bar (or geared PL squat).

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Lack of hip flexibility, nothing wrong with squatting narrow, no reason for you to change to a wide stance squat. Don't know why SPBR has squats listed for 2x5, seems a bit low to only do 10 squats a week. I'd do like 5x5 at least.

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I started off with big jumps then quickly brought the progressions down to 5 pounds. I can see adding 10/15 pounds on the deadlift for a while but I could not sustain that sort of increase on any other lift. I just don't see how adding 20 pounds can be a good idea when you stalled at 135.

I need to buy some small plates to do 2.5lb increases.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I do high bar squat, barbell on my upper back.

My hip can go down both narrow or wider stance, but narrow seems easier for me in exploding up.

I didn't necessarily stall on 135lb, more like doubtful in moving up weights.

I feel like when people say stalling, it means they cannot do the next weight up. I can squat 155lb...just rather slow I think.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011