Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Been doing 1/2 GOMAD on days I lift. Now normally, protein farts are bad as is, but combine with drinking a lot of milk... o god.

After working out, I went grocery shopping and while I was browsing through the baking section, I let loose a toxic monster. Couple seconds later, cutie happens to stop to browse right next to me. I've never been given such a glare of disgust. :embar:

2. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

I finally got around to trying 5x10 at 320 with 60 seconds rest between aka "The Charly Challenge". Managed to get out 10-10-10-10-7, no straps or belt. Laid down two rules for myself at the start to keep myself honest and to push hard: 1) Once I grab the bar to begin a set, I cannot let go or the set is done, 2) No more than a 5 count between reps.

First 2 sets were smooth, kept core very tight and was pretty much touch and go off the floor. 3rd set slowed toward the end but completed without drama. 4th set pushed against the 5 second limit for the last few reps. 5th set pushed against the 5 second limit again at rep 5 and on, and then trying to get 8 up I pretty much just pulled myself into the floor instead of getting the weight up. That's when I knew I was done. I felt my forearms burning up in set 4, form definitely suffered in sets 4&5 but I was told it was not incredibly terrible, and my mouth tasted a little bit of blood afterwards. I definitely want to complete the damn thing... won't be able to try again until a few weeks into January however.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

one of the lesser-appreciated downsides of eating lots of protein. i excuse myself whenever i can but sometimes you just cant help it...

vids or it didnt happen

heheh kidding, that is awesome :slayer:

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Had my friend spot me on a squat today, as I was setting up to go under the bar I let one off. I did not get a spot.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

kind of messed up my schedule and ended up doing DL's on sunday.

kind of fazed today since monday is my squat night.

already told my bro i'm going to take the week off. am i being a bitch? feel kind of bad, but i haven't taken an "off-week" since i started 3 months ago now.

main question is can i still recover this week i.e. continue with my sets? or just reset and begin again next week? reading how fuji worked through after getting his wisdom teeth taken out doesn't help me much :fu:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

i would take monday off and hit it tuesday. i bet if you just trained right through, nothing bad would happen.

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Just picked up SS 3rd ed on a whim. Calling it a 95% re-write from 2nd ed is a little optimistic, but the book is a little longer and has more and clearer illustrations than the previous edition.

8. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I'm waiting for the Kindle version.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i trained right, nothing bad happened :)

just not sure when i should move up in my squat. i can squat 135lb 3x5 now. Should I add a 10lb or 25lb? I want to hit that 225lb =\

10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

WTF? What program are you following right now? If you're struggling to progress, I really don't think you can suddenly load up 25 or even 10 pounds.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

SPBR

225lb DL, i think i can move up to 245lb soon
    stalling, 135 bench and squat, but the squat i have been doing pretty good 3x5. I should've added 20lb today but forgot?

my bench is horrible although dumbbell bench exercises have increased moderately

basically:
    last night was DL so: DL, leg press, lat pull down, curl, calf raises
    tonight was squat so: squat, glute/ham raises (which i do not do at all and substitute with hyperextensions), bent row, curl and calf raises (which i substituted with pull ups for the rest of the night, done with legs hanging down and pauses in between reps, 4-5 rep)

pull ups really help my overall strength

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

12. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Hrm... have you been doing linear progression weight wise with squats? Also, I'm assuming you're eating at least the bare minimum. Reason I ask is that your squat number just seems too low (compared to DL/Bench). Ideally you should be progressing by 5lb each workout. Only thing that I add more than 5 lbs to per workout is my DL. I add 15 on a linear progression. Granted this is because I'm only doing deadlifts once a week and haven't stalled yet.

FWIW: I've started training at around the same time as you toasty and I'm pretty similar to you in weight (just broke 150)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Are you sandbagging your squats? If you can DL 225 I'm sure you can squat 175+.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Haven't had them out yet, they're getting taken out in February. The mouth shooting blood thing out was unrelated to the wisdom teeth.

15. fuji

fuji Senior member

I'd say your bench is pretty strong compared to your other lifts, wish my bench was as good as my squat.