Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I've been doing 5/3/1 for the past 5 months or so I'm wondering if I just need to take 2-3 weeks off. I haven't done a complete deload in 3-4 months and while my bench/press is doing okay both my squat and deadlifts have decreased considerably. When I do deadlifts I just feel like my core and lower back get wonked right away (I remember 6 months ago I could hold a nice flat back doing no-reset reps with 315 for 5) and I just have no energy/strength in me. Sitting back and pulling up my shins feels twice as heavy as it used to be. For squats, it's like I get weaker every week. I did 3x5 @ 195 yesterday and I was barely able to finish, it just felt so fucking heavy. Heavier than the 250 that I used to do. Good low-bar form, but my hip-flexors were the only thing that I felt were being activated. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with my lower body, it's like nothing is activating like it should.

edit: some quick searching led me to try these:
    Finish your squats, deadlifts, good mornings, pull-thrus, and glute ham raises correctly. When you pop the hips through at lockout, make sure that you’re firing your glutes to complete the movement. Imagine pinching something between your butt cheeks.
    2. Bring your stance in a bit for a few weeks. This is a great time to do a lot of conventional pulling.

Make sure you incorporate glute activation work in your programming. Simply integrating some dynamic flexibility and activation work can yield tremendous results. It’s one reason we created Magnificent Mobility. Dynamic flexibility exercises won’t irritate the joint capsule like prolonged static stretching. By integrating movements that combine glute activation with hip flexor lengthening, you kill two birds with one stone.
    Get some myofascial release done. Foam roll prior to all your dynamic flexibility warm-ups and visit a therapist certified in ART and/or massage.
    As the hip feels better, gradually add hip flexor stretches back into your program.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

pants too tight? legs can't breathe

3. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I wear drop crotch sweats when I train

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

God damn Random Health/IA inside joaks.

Got back in the gym today. Fucking feel like hammered horse shit and my strength is in the crapper. Thanks mother nature!

5. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Sounds like you need a little rest and tons of food, Eason.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

eason - ever since i started doing good mornings and banded good mornings i have been smashing my squats and deadlifts. band gm's especially; these suck pretty bad but if i had to choose the most effective assistance movement i am doing right now, i would have to say band GM's. lights up your posterior chain and really emphasizes the hip thrust you need for squats n deads.

if i were you i would take some time off, do some mobility work, assault the dinner table and turn into a form nazi. whats your diet look like? ime missing a few days of 1.5 bw protein means sucky training.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

could i perform the goodmorning on the assistance machine that is angled and you put both your feet at an angle and just use barbell weight?

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

i think you're talking about a hyperextension, same idea but not as good imho. the good morning replicates the lockout motion of the squat/deadlift incredibly well and considering how similar the setup is between all 3 lifts its an insanely effective assistance movement.

9. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

thank you, have been doing that in substitue of these: Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10 since my gym does not have that machine to perform ham raises. Yeah been doing these, I wonder if this is a reason why I am not "improving" my squat: hypertensions vs. glute/ham raises . . . Saw the same dude performing morningstar the other day, was wondering wth he was doing -- same dude at my gym who squats 3+ plates/crossfit I think he was doing at least 225lb morningstar

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

wow you are me like 2 months ago

I've seen someone do them on a lat pulldown machine

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yeah my diet is just abysmal I just don't have a choice with my schedule/work location. :(

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wow, I'd never expect to hear some bullshit like that coming from you.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

This totally depends on the type of training you're doing. Slow, grinding work like DLs and heavy squats will wear you out in no time if you're in the gym everyday, whereas OLs with their lack of eccentric are much easier to recover from and do almost ed. And of course there's the loading too, I mean if you're putting double bw on your back or cleaning 1.5 bw etc. that will wreak havoc with your legs, no doubt.

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

No room to cook at home, I work somewhere with fuck-all choice to eat. Tiny bit of meat with oily rice. Mmm mm!

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

if you have access to a low pulley cable machine you can do pullthroughs. gms work better for me though