Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. theom-

theom- Senior member

I hit a bw snatch within like 2.5 months of olympic lifting. Got a meet next week, so pumped.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Good luck! Powerlifting/weightlifting competitions are just pure awesome.

3. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Interesting. Easy to believe.

I was wondering. I would enjoy something similar. I did something similar once with the "lifter" of the gym and he only said I had "good form" and that I should try the Smith.

I need a foam rolling for dummies and it has to be a 5 to 10 minute routine MAX. This goes for stretching, too - you start researching "stretching" and you find 6,000,000 stretches where you probably need 5. I can't even fuck with Youtube and foam rolling - 3,100 results.

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

What are you trying to stretch?

6. 630

630 Well-Known Member

yes. i developed an awful aching in my hip flexors over time and couldn't squat more than 135 without pain. one day it just hit me that i should roll those out and see if it helps. instant healing no pain when squatting. i just roll for maybe 5 minutes tops every day to get loose, do a little jump rope mixed in and helps tremendously.

7. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

This is me. I need to get some foam rollers asap then.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

i have one but i never have the patience to get down to it. maybe i shall..

9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I went in expecting this but wound up with some useful info instead.

I also need this... specifically adductors, abductors, and IT band.

jarude: She'd float at least a couple boats who browse the Athletic Women thread.

10. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Joe DeFranco's Agile 8
    ...here is an extremely simple & practical routine that athletes (or “average Joe’s”) can perform everyday. I like this routine because it only takes 7-10 minutes and it can be done at home or at the gym. (All you need is a foam roller and a tennis ball…if you don’t have these two inexpensive tools; I highly recommend you go get them!)

#1 – Foam Roll IT Band – Start just below your hip and roll up & down to your mid-(outer) thigh 10-15X, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform 10-15 “rolls” starting at your mid-(outer) thigh and rolling all the way down to the outside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight areas.
    [​IMG]

#2 – Foam Roll Adductors – Start just below the crease of your hip and roll up & down to your mid (inner) thigh 10-15X, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform 10-15 “rolls” starting at your mid-(inner) thigh and rolling down to the inside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight spots.

[​IMG]

#3 – Glute/Piriformis Myofacial release w/ static stretch

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

#4 – *Rollovers into “V” sits – Perform 10 reps
    #5 - *Fire hydrant circles – 10 forward circles/10 backward circles each leg
    #6 - *Mountain climbers – 20 reps
    #7 - *Groiners – Perform 10 reps. Hold last rep for 10 seconds…push knees out with your upper arms while dropping your butt down.

*The video below demonstrates exercises 4-7. Make sure you really focus on achieving a big range of motion with all these exercises. Don’t just go through the motions!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

#8 – Static hip flexor stretch – Perform 3 sets of 10 seconds each leg. Perform all 3 sets on one leg before moving onto the other leg.
    [​IMG]

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Agile 8 is good, I do some of them minus foam rolling and it has help tremendously get deeper in the squat.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

tbh though, sometimes barbell work (that is, movements with just a barbell) can increase mobility as well as foam rolling/SMR/static stretching. As in OHS/front squatting a barbell repeatedly if you have mobility issues that prevent youfrom hitting a deep squat etc.

Although for a complete novice lifter I'd be hesitant to recommend this, but for a dude squatting 2-300lbs to parallel, I think some wiggling around with a barbell on their back isn't going to destroy them.

13. theom-

theom- Senior member

This, plus good mornings for your hammies.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

For a while I could only bend down low enough to touch my knees. One session of really heavy RDLs and I could get my palms to the floor.

Hung over speed deadlifts today, gonna throw up errywhere.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Fucking ruined my lower back doing 3x370 today DL's. first 2 were just fine but the last one was all back and I think I pulled something.

Also, why am I 5 lbs heavier but lifting less all around then I was 1 year ago?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011