Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

TrH: I see her in the gym all the time training these obvious first timers with routines that look like serious fuckarounditis which also fuels my skepticism. Although, I hear her total for the 3 big lifts is well over 600lbs.

tanxp: She's obviously very fit but you'd never guess she could deadlift 285lbs (looks more TONED than muscular bwahaha).

Anyway, if she helps me with what I want help on (i.e. figuring out my left-side hip pain that's crippling my squat progress and fixing my back rounding while deadlifting) instead of having me do cable flies and bullshit on the smith machine, I'll be happy.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think if I had a gas stove I'd eat better. instead of simply putting my gas stove on and throwing some eggs in a pan i've been waiting 20 minutes for it to get hot whilst eating ritz crackers with peanut butter on them dipped in melted chocolate.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Uh, does your stove work on rocks heated by the sun or something? An electric stove shouldn't be that much worse than a gas stove in terms of getting hot.

4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

My electric range is notorious for overcooking/burning stuff while your head is turned. You cooking all your shit on a hot plate, fuji?

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't know, it's just a shit stove, don't think its a hot plate. Never had problems with over cooking before.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

there is something to be said for kickass appliances and having a convenient kitchen setup. when i was living on my own for school, it was so so easy to stick to macros, since i had no other choice. the whole fridge was mine, etc. now living with my family again its hard as hell to stick to it; i will literally insult my mother if i dont eat the tasty home cooking. i dont really have a problem with it, its solid whole food and is delicious but when you know you aren't able to quantify something, it makes sticking to a plan that much harder. also, new appliances own - if you've never used a stove made in the last two years, give it a shot, they're fucking magic. seriously

i really want to get one of those vitamix blenders, $500 industrial quality monstrous blending machine. a bunch of guys on IA have been blending together a days worth of veggies into tasty shakes, seems like a great and easy way to get your greens. on that note, why do all regular blenders suck complete nuts? i gave up making fancy shakes since my blender would choke on yogourt and berries of all things.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. sonick

sonick Senior member

My new apartment has a gas stove, and going from using electric all my life in my parents' house, it is a marked improvement in both temperature control and initial heating.

8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

^ I've no doubt, but it still shouldn't take 20 minutes to cook eggs.

My parents have a Viking stove. So jealous. I want one of those for my kitchen someday.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Snatch PR, 2x1x62.5kg. I missed 65 once and on the second try I got under it, but since I was stiff-legging my 1st pull the bar just drifted backwards and I had to let it go. Some 8kg to go and I'm at bw.

feelsgoodman.jpg

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

In case anyone was wondering what happened (prob not), was well worth the cost... which was nothing. Have a little more power on my squats, was introduced to the dark hell that is foam rolling, and definitely have more things to think about/try out on the other lifts (whether or not they'll help is yet to be seen).

I have no idea if anyone ever tips PTs, but had a small gift card to the supplement store across the street ready to go in case I got anything out of the 1hr... and was gonna just spend it myself if it turned out to be garbage.

11. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Does foam rolling actually help? I was considering taking it up but I never feel stiff.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

YES

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

was the hot? this is the only issue of importance when talking about gym girls

14. APK

APK Senior member

Absolutely. At the very least, you'll aid recovery by regularly foam rolling.

I'm actually going to buy a lacrosse ball specifically for specifically sore spots. Rolled around on a billiard ball last week; the knots had nowhere to hide.

15. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Nice. It is extremely satisfying to throw your bodyweight over your head and a skill that very few people can do. One day you'll just be all pumped up and it'll go up nice and easy and you'll think to yourself "Eh, that wasn't so hard.... throw on another 2kg." By most accounts, bwt snatch is a big marking point for Oly lifting, that if you can do bwt snatch, you "get it."

Sometimes I feel stiff at the gym, depending on what the women are wearing and which exercises they're doing. However, foam rolling doesn't really help in that situation.