1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

How long do you guys pause in delayed squats? I did about 2 seconds per rep and jesus that was hard enough by the end. Excited for more next week. Think the extra explosive lift will help my DL starts.

Also, I know this has been discussed many times, but supplementary ab exercises? What do you guys do? I'm thinking of adding oblique crunches since none of the lifts I do currently work them much.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2-mississippi count usually on paused squats.

I only do extra ab work if my core isn't already torched/fatigued by deads and squats. About once every two weeks I'll do a couple sets of hanging leg raises.

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Well-Known Member

I was gonna say...they were squatting.

4. bob digital

bob digital Well-Known Member

Since this thread has taken to ripping Crossfit the past few days, I thought this story was appropriate

Click the link for a great picture of this idiot

[quote name=News Story]

SAN JOSE (CBS 5) - A masked man's recent visit to a San Jose post office led to a response by the bomb squad. But the student at the center of Tuesday's bomb scare has an explanation for his attire.

The first reports were unnerving: a man wearing a mask stuffed a package into a mailbox at the busiest post office in San Jose Tuesday afternoon.

The bomb squad, firefighters, and the postal inspector closed down nearby streets. After four hours, a robot blew up the package, which turned out not to be dangerous.

Which begs the question: what about the man in the mask?

His name is Long Hoang, a 29-year-old nursing student and fitness buff. Hoang was on a so-called "crossfit" workout, a relatively new exercise regimen.

According to Hoang, the mask he wore was designed to restrict breathing to simulate training at high altitude. A vest he also wore to the post office was packed with ten pounds of weights.
    [/quote]

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

:facepalm: I knew some girls training for a provincial team by doing crap like that. Needless to say, they got their ass handed to them by the girls who trained like real people.

edit re: ab work: hanging tick tocks. Like leg raises but harder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you for that. Best thing I've read all day.

7. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

So I started squatting for the first in about 4 - 5 years last week, and I've improved from 135 to 225 lbs (4x8).

I used to be able to do about 315 (5x12) 5 years ago when I weighted about 170 lbs. would it be even possible to get back to that at my current weight? I'm 150 with about 15% body fat.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

End of the video is DL. :facepalm:

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

We used to run around in NBC gear and shitty respirators in the military, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.. it sucks big time.

Nothing really, my current lifting is more than enough to work my abs extremely well.

315 for 12 @ 170 puts you somewhere around 440 for your max single (I'm just guesstimating this, so don't hold it against me).. That's almost a 2.5 bw squat and pretty fucking awesome. Getting there 20lbs lighter is not going to be easy, that much is certain - I wouldn't say it's impossible though. The only way to know that for sure is to try.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

When I was running smolov I asked this tiny little indian man to spot me. By tiny I mean like potentially under 5 foot. As I was getting pumped up he slapped me quite hard in the face. It was most unexpected and more confusing then motivating. He squatted 140kg for 5 easy perfect form reps at a body weight of something like 50kg though so I was miring.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

It's more like I can't get to parallel/below parallel unless my feet are turned out enough. Just can't get low enough, my back curves and my weight falls towards my toes.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Have you ignored hip mobility exercises for years, Eason? Maybe you never needed them before. Maybe you're older now.

13. 630

630 Well-Known Member

I've been training at a crossfit gym for 6 months now, and i think we have a pretty strong culture of not being cocksuckers. I don't actually do the crossfit wods (theres a powerlifting sector that I jumped into from day one), but I think you're accurate here. To me crossfit is like martial arts. You have shitty mcdojos and you have great dojos who are well rounded in tradition, technical aptitude/expertise, etc. Probably just depends on the crossfit gym you go to or find. Culture starts with the guys who own/coach it, and if they're fucking idiots then the people who train there adapt that mentality too. Consequently, I don't think it's fair for someone to typecast crossfitters as morons just as not everybody who does "karate" is a joke.

I think we've got some awesome guys who are great coaches but also humble. Technically sound/wise in their training and also strong as shit. And coach crossfit in addition to powerlifting.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Have you ever deadlifted/squatted/done an olympic lift off a curved surface or dry humped the air whilst holding onto a pull up bar? If no then your probably not a douche bag.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yeah didn't really do much with them, since I used to do a lot of martial arts and my legs were always pretty flexible, I just figured I didn't need to do anything extra.