Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

How long do you guys pause in delayed squats? I did about 2 seconds per rep and jesus that was hard enough by the end. Excited for more next week. Think the extra explosive lift will help my DL starts.

Also, I know this has been discussed many times, but supplementary ab exercises? What do you guys do? I'm thinking of adding oblique crunches since none of the lifts I do currently work them much.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

2-mississippi count usually on paused squats.

I only do extra ab work if my core isn't already torched/fatigued by deads and squats. About once every two weeks I'll do a couple sets of hanging leg raises.

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Well-Known Member

I was gonna say...they were squatting.

4. bob digital

bob digital Well-Known Member

Since this thread has taken to ripping Crossfit the past few days, I thought this story was appropriate

Click the link for a great picture of this idiot

[quote name=News Story]

SAN JOSE (CBS 5) - A masked man's recent visit to a San Jose post office led to a response by the bomb squad. But the student at the center of Tuesday's bomb scare has an explanation for his attire.

The first reports were unnerving: a man wearing a mask stuffed a package into a mailbox at the busiest post office in San Jose Tuesday afternoon.

The bomb squad, firefighters, and the postal inspector closed down nearby streets. After four hours, a robot blew up the package, which turned out not to be dangerous.

Which begs the question: what about the man in the mask?

His name is Long Hoang, a 29-year-old nursing student and fitness buff. Hoang was on a so-called "crossfit" workout, a relatively new exercise regimen.

According to Hoang, the mask he wore was designed to restrict breathing to simulate training at high altitude. A vest he also wore to the post office was packed with ten pounds of weights.
    [/quote]

5. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

:facepalm: I knew some girls training for a provincial team by doing crap like that. Needless to say, they got their ass handed to them by the girls who trained like real people.

edit re: ab work: hanging tick tocks. Like leg raises but harder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you for that. Best thing I've read all day.

7. steveoffice

steveoffice Senior member

So I started squatting for the first in about 4 - 5 years last week, and I've improved from 135 to 225 lbs (4x8).

I used to be able to do about 315 (5x12) 5 years ago when I weighted about 170 lbs. would it be even possible to get back to that at my current weight? I'm 150 with about 15% body fat.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

End of the video is DL. :facepalm:

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

We used to run around in NBC gear and shitty respirators in the military, I wouldn't wish that upon anyone.. it sucks big time.

Nothing really, my current lifting is more than enough to work my abs extremely well.

315 for 12 @ 170 puts you somewhere around 440 for your max single (I'm just guesstimating this, so don't hold it against me).. That's almost a 2.5 bw squat and pretty fucking awesome. Getting there 20lbs lighter is not going to be easy, that much is certain - I wouldn't say it's impossible though. The only way to know that for sure is to try.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

When I was running smolov I asked this tiny little indian man to spot me. By tiny I mean like potentially under 5 foot. As I was getting pumped up he slapped me quite hard in the face. It was most unexpected and more confusing then motivating. He squatted 140kg for 5 easy perfect form reps at a body weight of something like 50kg though so I was miring.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

It's more like I can't get to parallel/below parallel unless my feet are turned out enough. Just can't get low enough, my back curves and my weight falls towards my toes.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Have you ignored hip mobility exercises for years, Eason? Maybe you never needed them before. Maybe you're older now.

13. 630

630 Well-Known Member

I've been training at a crossfit gym for 6 months now, and i think we have a pretty strong culture of not being cocksuckers. I don't actually do the crossfit wods (theres a powerlifting sector that I jumped into from day one), but I think you're accurate here. To me crossfit is like martial arts. You have shitty mcdojos and you have great dojos who are well rounded in tradition, technical aptitude/expertise, etc. Probably just depends on the crossfit gym you go to or find. Culture starts with the guys who own/coach it, and if they're fucking idiots then the people who train there adapt that mentality too. Consequently, I don't think it's fair for someone to typecast crossfitters as morons just as not everybody who does "karate" is a joke.

I think we've got some awesome guys who are great coaches but also humble. Technically sound/wise in their training and also strong as shit. And coach crossfit in addition to powerlifting.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Have you ever deadlifted/squatted/done an olympic lift off a curved surface or dry humped the air whilst holding onto a pull up bar? If no then your probably not a douche bag.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Yeah didn't really do much with them, since I used to do a lot of martial arts and my legs were always pretty flexible, I just figured I didn't need to do anything extra.