Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Actually, those were examples of the "continental clean" and jerk, which used to be in the Olympics a long time ago and is still a legitimate movement in some weightlifting associations http://www.usawa.com/continental-clean-and-jerk/

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's the worse thing I've seen all month.

3. virus646

virus646 Senior member

^ +1 :cry:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

4. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

I've done that barbell complex ("The Bear") and it is hands down one of the most grueling exercises I've ever done... comparable to Prowler sprints in exhaustion but it also kills your upper body. Hang clean --> front squat --> push press --> back squat --> push jerk. Do it with 155 lbs or more and let me know if you can complete 7 reps of it. Then do it for 5 sets.

I know y'all like to rag on CrossFit. There are certainly some people involved with it that deserve ridicule.. But by and large I think it is an excellent system for introducing a wide audience to weightlifting and to make fitness accessible and interesting. Who would've ever thought you'd see young women next to old men, all of them squatting, shoulder pressing, or snatching? I think having the ability to get people interested in that sort of stuff is beneficial. It's better than having people grind through 45 minutes of elliptical/stairmaster cardio bullshit 5 days a week. Their form may not be perfect, but I rarely see ANYONE in ANY gym that has "perfect" form.

5. sonick

sonick Senior member

I am not ragging on the chick in the video, or the weight she is lifting at all. I was just answering the question of how much each of those black plates weigh.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

+1. No way in hell is that top girl using 3x45s/side, since there are no bumper plates in the world that will act like that will 400odd lbs on them.

Its still hilariously stupid.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

That what I thought to begin with, but does the continental clean involve using a mixed grip to pick the bar up and then switching to a normal grip? Can't really call any of those movements jerks.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Axelman 17: Haven't been following your posts too closely... just curious but what program/routine are you doing?

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Been doing 5/3/1. I expect that my gains may moderate post the "noob gains" phase but I am still pleased with the results. Since weight goes up pretty gradually on 5/3/1, a lot of the increase in my 1RMs has come by being able to do more reps (vs. increased weight). I have been going to the gym every other day and doing four assistance lifts with each of the main ones at a lower weight and 4 x 12:

Bench Day:
    Guillotines
    Close grip bench press
    Dumb bell fly
    Dumb bell row

Squat Day:
    Overhead squat
    Good mornings
    Bar bell split squats
    GHRs

Overhead Press Day:
    Push Presses
    Bar bell raises
    Seated dumb bell shoulder press
    Dumb bell row

Deadlift Day:
    Good mornings
    Rack pulls
    GHRs
    Dumb bell split squats

I know these assistance lifts are highly random but they are based on what feels good to me as well as feedback from this thread (for instance, I love good mornings).

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

My first thought on only seeing the screen shot was "That has to be the strongest girl on the planet." I then watched the video.

Make yourself feel better about how little you can lift by placing styrofoam plates on the bar.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

CF can be OK, it's just that as you stated, there are some extraordinarily ignorant trainers getting in on the action.

I'd agree with this also.

In weightlifting there's no room for shitty technique. If you have glaring technique errors in either of your competitive lifts, one day you will get majorly fucked, no two ways about that.

Basically idgaf about xfit, but imo doing OL movements in singles and doubles against the clock is absolute bullshit. Maybe I'm biased, but in my mind every rep I do with bad technique is a rep I will have to 'undo' later, if you catch my drift here.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

And with how they're contorting their backs, every lift has the potential to herniate a disk. That was painful just watching.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

The skinny guy in green is CF's director of training.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Looks about right haha

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I cringe watching these videos. I am conscious of the cringing and I cannot stop.