Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

O hmm, that is pretty interesting.

I know that Wendler looks low-rep to some people and I know that over time I have stripped it of extra work. Sounds like you have done something similar if you are failing on set 2 of assistance at 50%. I have, at times, lost work capacity, but it has often been a conscious decision to allow for better 1rm growth. At times, I bring more work capacity back into my program, usually 1 set at a time.

Maybe you are trapped in a kind of dead end where your PR sets have generally outreached your ability to immediately recover from them, leaving you in this state that you can hardly perform assistance. You could plateau or deload your 5/3/1 for a month while you work back up to 3x8 assistance squats or whatever you think best. Or maybe you don't have enough simple carbs in your system to fuel your assistance after your main lifts. Honestly, I really don't know, but there is surely a simple problem here you can ID and correct.

edit: Adding in, the way you are 5/3/1'ing maybe is knocking you out, too. Wendler's suggestion is to keep bar speed strong and maintain good form. If you are doing resting squats to squeeze out a PR plus barely maintaining form and grinding it up, you're taking it further than necessary. Or if you are going for that calculated PR on each and every lift, each and every week, and cheating your deloads, again you are gonna be ground to dust.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

All hammer strength chest day today!

Btw, anyone know of any ingenious load more plates on the following machine? If I keep going at the pace I'm at, I've only got 65 pounds (total) left unless I max out the prongs with 45-lb plates.. :(

[​IMG]

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Put plates on your handles hah hah.

Bring 2x100lb plates to the gym and leave them in the corner hah hah.

4. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Tomorrow is squat day. I will see how that goes, if I can hit 225 x 5 with good technique and be able to do 5x8 at 135 after then I'll stick with it. if I can't then I'll switch to maybe SPBR for a couple cycles.

The past week or so I've been on steroids (corticosteroids 15mg a day) which might have been fucking me up, I'm off them as today so I don't know we'll see if they were having an effect. 15mg isn't that much.

5. mrchariybrown

I tried the first way but it gets in the way of my arms..

The second way would be a very good idea if I had 100-lb plates laying around :(

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Paused front squats to pins are probably the most difficult exercise I've done. Could only do 60kg for 5x5 on them, getting out of the hole is ridiculously hard. On most of my lifts im weak at the bottom so im gonna start doing more paused work.

7. mrchariybrown

Btw guys, another good core-focused squat movement are bottom-up zercher squats Here is my coach demonstrating them with 495lbs ;) [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

8. virus646

virus646 Senior member

those looks like fun, may try them next week.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

It's amazing what a lighter wk can do for ones explosiveness. The snap has returned to my snatch and clean receipts... I guess putting weight on the bar every wk since sep, I really was in the need for some downtime.

My fellow lifters keep saying I should lift at our monthly competition, and I'm thinking I just might do it sometime next yr.

10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

The feedback in this thread has been incredibly valuable and has helped me make some pretty solid gains over the last month and a half. I know these 1RMs are not impressive by SF standards but they are progress. Have also made good weight gains since being 137.5lbs in August:

Early October:

Weight: 155
    Deadlift: 200
    Overhead Press: 89
    Bench Press: 160
    Squat: 122

Now:

Weight: 168
    Deadlift: 291 (I think actually getting the form right on DL helped a ton)
    Overhead Press: 113
    Bench Press: 195
    Squat: 176

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

No, you are mistaken. That is pretty awesome progress right there man! 'bout 100lbs on the big three in 2 months...

If I've learned something from all the great lifters I train with, it is that consistency really is key. If you can keep on slapping those 5lb plates on the bar every wk, think about how much more you'll be hauling off the floor in a year, in two years etc.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Luv cross fit and there ways of making already dangerous lifts even more dangerous. I guess functional strength includes lower back, elbow and shoulder injuries, gonna bring my dog to the gym for motivation next time too. If those black plates are actually 45s and they have teenage girls jerking 405 im miring though.

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

Is that fucking real? Ridiculous.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This says she is doing 75, so if the bar is 45, I am guessing the black plates are 10 and the silver one is 5?

14. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:fu::brick::crazy:

15. whallyden

whallyden Senior member