Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Been attempting this myself. It's not too shabby.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

what do you mean by contracting traps?

my video was not intended for edu. purposes but i;m glad it helped u dudes :lol:

3. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Dunno if any of you OL dudes are interested, but the nationals are tomorrow at my gym. The SHW I train with set a 150+180 entry in preparation for January - I'll see if I can get some vids up or stuff.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I take this back, squats have now been recommended for improving the bench press.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just replied to this. Its probably because squats cause an increasing in human growth hormone, which makes all yours muscles/penis grow to huge sizes and are just generally a magic exercise.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Solid bench workout today, im weak off the chest so I did a lot of paused bench since im weak off the chest and then some close grip bench. Powerlifting form has gotten a lot better since I but on back mass, really feeling my lats engage and im not benching so high up on my chest anymore. Didn't test my max on normal bench, but my close grip 5rm went up 15kg and I haven't benched in about a month.

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

The HGH / test boosting effect of squats has largely been disproven the last I read.

9. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I was doing my 7th rep at 225 bench when some fucking do-gooder ran over at my sticking point and pulled the bar up. I was like "NO NO NO NONONONONO" but it was too late and he ruined my PR set. :(

Really thinking of dumping 5/3/1 and going back to something with more work sets of squats. Looking at SPBR. Back when I was doing Madcow 3x5 I hit 245 x 5 bench, and going to 5/3/1 right after hit 205 for 13 reps. Now I doubt I can get 10 in at 205.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Hindsight is 20/20, but you could have just had a spotter in place just for that set.

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Wore this shirt to work that I bought back in June and wasn't able to fit into, so hyped. Down 14 lbs probably another 15-20 to go before this cut is done.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Was joking about it, pretty sure its been disproven too.

13. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

You know, Wendler basically says that "When in doubt, do 5x10 or 5x15." Because of that, I honestly assume that if you know your stuff, you can do any other rep / weight scheme that you want after your 5/3/1 PR or calculated PR programming. I've read him suggest several alternatives to adding sets. Additional 1rm sets? You bet. Or going back down your ladder and going for a PR on each. For example, if you just did a 3x170, 3x200, 3x225 (to failure) - you can turn right around and go 200 to failure, then 170 to failure.

Doing 5x10 only felt like burning calories that I didn't have time in the day to eat and if I tried to perform 5x10 at the max weight I could I would be burnt out for days. Personally, I really enjoyed a mini-bbb at 3x8.

14. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I understand that, but after I hit my PR in my last set I don't have much else in me, especially in squats. I couldn't even do 2 sets at 50% 1RM after my workset. :( Will see how things go after tmrw's workout.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Holy fuck just dropped like 2 lbs in one day, don't think it was water weight either. Talk about a whoosh effect! :D