Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

"It hurts when I do X" "Then don't do X"?

Anyways re: pulling volume: even though the first like 4-5 years of my weightlifting was BS (lotsa bench, upperbody stuff, only lunges for legs and even then it was stupid high reps) the best part of it was the huge chin up emphasis. I might weigh 165 lbs, but I have the back of someone who weighs like 185.

Also my flexibility is a huge problem for me right now. I can't get down into the full squat anymore without some rounding back nonsense, and ever since I've noticed it its been limiting my weights. Anyone have some good mobility work suggestions?

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The obvious suspects would probably be the hip flexors, hammies, adductors and abductors and calves. A good deep squat with full spinal extension really requires some good mobility of all those. As for mobility work, there's always foam rolling and static stretching... I'd be somewhat careful about static stuff before lifting as I'm not sure that's really the greatest choice.

I hate to once again point to cathletics, but this is a good read: http://www.cathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=127

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Haha I ammmmmm!

I probably should've worn a belt and gotten all of them but I wanted to really really challenge myself (and I was feeling cocky).

I am still in disbelief at how hard it was. I know my cardio wasn't up to it but I've done widowmakers for squats before and push myself to the limit time in and time out, so I thought I would have the mental fortitude to get through it. Even after the second set, my lungs were on fire but I thought to myself "almost halfway through."

Once I started the fourth set my cardio and rigidity were completely shot. But I thought that I could get through it. After the first two reps, something that has never happened ever started to begin - my will power was slowly breaking down. After 8th, I felt like I was going to pass out with there. I couldn't breathe nor see straight.. all my senses were dull. Started yanking on 9 and I was done.

Was kneeling down for about 5 minutes. Then crawled over to the chair next to a trashcan and sat there hovering over the bin for about 15 minutes. I didn't know 320 could feel so heavy.

I'm feeling fine now thankfully. It's all for that 600 deadlift come springtime hopefully. And then onward to 700, 750, and 800.

Now for shits and giggles:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

(the last 10 seconds are the funniest)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. APK

APK Senior member

Oh son of a bitch, I just noticed that the ginger ale that I bought last night (and drank half of) isn't diet. Shit tastes the same to me, but I unknowingly consumed 100+ grams of sugar.

5. mrchariybrown

It's only a 100g of carbs :p

Think of it as more UMPH for your next session!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. APK

APK Senior member

Ordinarily I would, but I'm finally taking extended time off from lifting to let my lower back issues get worked out. Of course, this was mostly prompted by me losing my old student ID and, subsequently, access to my gym. Been feeling like a total lardass with the Thanksgiving madness coupled with relative inactivity. I honestly don't know how people can stand to eat like shit all of the time and get no physical activity. A few days of it had me climbing the walls.

Good news is that I haven't had even slight aches in my lower back / upper glutes in more than a week. And yesterday, my uncle gave me the money to go get a year-long membership at the gym as a Christmas gift because I've been working for him the last few months. So I'll be back in the gym soon enough, albeit, probably approaching the big lifts with caution until I'm certain my back issues are gone.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Mum got be a mens health from the library because she thought i'd like to read it. This thing is amazing

An exercise recommended to increase upper body explosiveness is the smith machine bench press throw with 50% of your 1rm. I am not comfortable throwing 50% of my 1rm over my face, also im pretty sure you can't throw a bar in a smith machine because when you let go of it, it looks in place.

There is also a eastern European man who kind of looks like a monk because he's not huge and covered with tattoos like all the other men in the photos I assume he's probably got "functional strength", also wearing vibrams which are pretty functional. He's clean and jerking kettle balls on a swiss ball, then theres a photo of him doing probably the most stupidly named exercise "battling ropes" and the last photo is of him juggling on a bosu ball. Also apparently if you don't wear natural clothes you are "cutting off your natural chi flow", modern foot wear is dangerous, the water we drink is toxic and we should hunt for purer water, weight belts are extremely dangerous, commercially raised food is toxic and will manipulate your genome and if your work out focuses too much on pressing exercises you have a troubled relationship with your father. Also don't drink water out of coloured plastic, next time someone asks me for help on deadlifts im gonna tell them they're stalling because they're water bottles green. Oh and drink sea water, helps digestion.

I take back what I wrote up SS, if this is the advice people who are starting out are getting recommend someone doing SS is way ahead.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

hahahaha oh charly poor guy :( that is nasty.

toasty mang ive been contracting my traps for benching and it has been feeling good so far. thanks agian for the link there

9. mrchariybrown

Battling ropes are actually a really good conditioning/upper body exercise.

10. APK

APK Senior member

My gym just added some of these. Look like great fun, though from what I've heard, they're deceptively taxing.

11. mrchariybrown

Extremely taxing! Damn it, I wish my gym added cool stuff from time to time. I guess I should be thankful that we have a deadlift platform and a power rack at least.

12. virus646

virus646 Senior member

haha, that video was pure gold chariy :slayer:

13. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Sometime very soon I will try 5x10 at 315 with one minute rests and see what how far I can make it. Is there a time limit for each set?

14. mrchariybrown

No real time limit but just be honest to yourself. I only started taking a few seconds between clusters of reps when I knew I'd collapse if I didn't.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Cossack squats!