Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

edited

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

People were talking about riptoe and SS is riptoes program. I was just pointing out that I think SS is a shit program because of the lack of upper back work, even though it is a beginners program its not like a beginner cannot do a row or a few chin ups a couple times a week. Not necessarily on this forum, but lots have people state that squats take care of your upper back and therefore there is no need for upper body pulling, which I don't think is at all true.

3. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Whoo, man I've been killing it lately. Ate off diet all last week, ate super bad for 4 days of that week, came back and I'm at the same weight as before Thanksigiving! Was at 175.0 this morning, which is about 13 lbs down in body weight total since I seriously started this cut. Hopefully getting down to ~174 by Friday.

And all this while consistently making lifting gains and packing on muscle poundage. Shit feels soooo good.

If I can make gains this fast while being a lazyass, I'm going to make crazy gains in the next few weeks as I buckle down and tighten up my diet and stick to my lifting/cardio plan precisely until Christmas. I'm hoping to get down to around 165-170 by the end of the month and maybe even finishing up this cut by the end of January. That's huge for me, as I've been trying to cut down for like a little over a year now, it's just that in the past 3 months or so I've gotten serious about it. Can't fucking wait to be ripped and start being able to bulk! :slayer:

Who said they can't? SS has goals that it accomplishes beautifully, i.e. laying down a foundation of strength and core work that is effective for building upon later. Saying it's a shit program for not including upper body work is completely missing the point.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

agreed, i view SS as a forced indoctrination to squatting, not as a great all-around program. what people should be doing when they first look at a barbell

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Hahah I know this feeling. My roommate is getting bored with SS after an (inconsistent) 6 weeks on it. He wants more dynamism in his workout. (He also wants to burn some calories and lose some fat and thinks some circuit shit is gonna do that :facepalm:)

I told him to drop the SS progression to only increasing weight 1/week and then doing some barbell complexes.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I wouldn't not say someone with no upper back development and pulling power has a solid foundation for strength. You not gonna get a high deadlift, bench or press without a solid upper back. If you added rows and chins it would be a significantly better program. Theres no reason not to do them and its not like a beginner is incapable of doing them.

I can front squat vaguely pain free with the fractured rib, got up to a 90kg single then did 3x20 leg extensions and leg curls, pump is making my legs look massive. Sadly can't do a chin up or hanging leg raise without sharp pain.

7. Khayembii Communique

Which is why these are included in SS. ;)

EDIT: Anyways, I don't really think upper back strength is important for building general/core strength for a beginner. Yes, this is something that can be added in later, and I agree that you won't get "high" lifts without it, but we're talking about a beginner lifting program here. So, again, you're missing the point.

Where in SS does it say you can't?

8. Khayembii Communique

9. Khayembii Communique

El Argentino PM'd me asking about my cutting prog and I sent him this. Figured I'd post it here for anyone else interested:

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Haha I just had the nastiest workout ever today.

Was shooting for deadlifts of 5 sets of 10 with 320 with 1 minute between sets.

But only got 10 + 10 + 10 + 8. But I was supposed to wear a belt and strap up, so that should more than make up for it.

It was worse than any 20 rep squat I've ever done.

Lungs on fire, couldn't breathe, form breaking apart a little, while holding back vomit.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

I just think they should be made compulsory in the program, everyone always says follow the program and just do it as its written, which is pretty dissuasive in adding additional work. I'd say upper back work is the more most important upper body work and you should be doing at least as much pulling as you are doing pushing, more so then the press or bench definitely. Even though mehdi is a massive bell end I still think his 5x5 is a better program because it has rows.

12. virus646

virus646 Senior member

chariy: you're such a pussy, should have gone for those last one ;)

Khayembii: Those are very good tips for cutting. If I would ever want to cut, I would probably follow a similar pattern. People DO overanalyze over the simple things. But you can't exactly say you know everything about cutting, you just know what works for you :embar:

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

The book has chins/pullups (as well as other assistance exercises) and tells when to add them.

14. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Anyone else get massive forearm pain from curls? I never got it until probably 2 months ago now its constant. It lasts for like a week after curls as well, by which time i do more. It feels like its IN the ulna bone about halfway down the forearm. Most intense when i put the weight down after a set. Seems to happen whatever the weight, whatever type of bar, on cable machine, everything, and always in the left arm only. Currently making bicep work very difficult.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You need to RICE that shit before it gets worse. As to what's causing it, I'm at a loss. Maybe hammer curls would be the less uncomfortable choice for direct arm work next time?