Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

:slayer:

2. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

What the... waa?

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

cant tell if he's trying to drop a deuce or not kill himself

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Ended up extending my week off to two weeks with thanksgiving and all. The two weeks off has done wonders for my shoulders but I'm definitely hurting on the progress I've made (especially since I was lazy about eating properly the two weeks). I've had to regress back two weeks on SS, but man I felt great going back to the gym. I was able to finish my workout *much* faster than I usually do. The break was totally worth it.

On another note, have any of you experienced more stress on the wrists when doing low bar squats? I'm sure it has to do with my form, but I'm wondering if any of you have had similar symptoms and if so, what did you do to correct it?

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Had to pull 155lbs off some dude that failed a squat and had the pins set too low. Told him to take his running shoes off and he was good for a couple more sets at the same weight.

There should be signs in the gym warning against squatting in running shoes.

6. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

When I first started lifting, I felt this way when squatting normally. Combination of the need to puke/defecate/piss myself.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

I wrapped my wrists, helped loads.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yup.

Wraps and grip wider!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Doubt running shoes matter with weight that low. I think it only really matters when the weight gets really high and squishes the shoe too much.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

i hear you, i just took a week off on account of a gimpy shoulder and i had a great workout. my diet went to shit, eating all kinds of garbage, didnt hit my protein for at least 5 days... posted +10 on my deadlift first workout back. after the first set of pulls i was all :slayer: and pumped up for the rest of the workout. taking time off works wonders for healing minor tweaks and getting that motivation back; after a hard week of school, it felt awesome to just sloth out, play skyrim and eat copious amounts of junk.

i dunno man, people who are newer to squatting (ie. squatting 155lbs) might have suck-ass form which would be exacerbated by running shoes. i find the main benefit to lifting in flat soles is the emphasis on sitting back and staying on the heels. having a running shoe makes you wobbly and less able to drive through your heels through the floor which is probably the #1 mental cue i use when squatting or pulling for that matter.

that being said i know there are a few guys at IA who have posted ridiculous squats in runners. just depends i suppose

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I could see the soles squishing and his heels/ankles moving around.

Dude was around 160, so thats over 300lbs static weight on the shoes.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Just crushed some triples of push press while rocking out to TSwift. (5)

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Had a few pre-pubescents come in while I was squatting today and take up the rack next to me. The oldest of the bunch attempted to show the smaller ones (I'm assuming they're gearing up for some school sport) how to do squats...

...horribly incorrectly. The kid was showing them to thrust their buts backwards, and his stance was maybe 2.5x shoulder width. Like, horrible stuff, gearing these kids up to have hernias and all sorts of problems down there before they can probably even properly use their junk.

I politely asked if I could show them some pointers (I was over there doing about 275) keeping parallel, keeping the bar moving straight up and down, etc. The young ones seemed interested one, the oldest one was like, "yeah, well they've never done these before, so I'm just showing them how." I wanted to be more forceful, like straight up tell him he's going to wreck himself before 20, but I politely nodded and finished my sets.

What does one do in that situation? Forcefully tell the kid he's an idiot, or just allow themselves to set themselves up for injury? I guess this can apply to (clueless) adults as well.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

You should have pointed out that he was teaching the younger kids a wrong technique in performing the squat.

I'm kind of disappointed that you just walked away, "meh"

15. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm not denying that you saw them squatting "horribly incorrectly" but thrusting their butts backwards is not the a good example of that.. it actually corrects most people's form and allows them to load their posterior chain properly.

And using a stance that wide is fine if you're a wide squatter. It's like sumo-deadlifting.. it's not wrong, it's just a different stance.