Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Olympic lifting is such an enigma to most people, it's kind of funny to hear comments or catch people staring like you have a dick growing out of your forehead.

The other week I had 120kg on the bar, resting on the floor. As I walk up to it and get ready to grab it, some guy next to me says "You should use a belt when you deadlift."

So then I clean and jerked the 120kg, turned to him and said "Nah, I don't need a belt." :teach: I guess 120kg is more than many people can C&J, but it is far from what I would consider impressive.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

2. APK

APK Senior member

I guess a silver lining to losing my ID card is that I haven't been able to lift in a week and a half. I'm getting a bit stir crazy, but my lower back is feeling tremendously better. I did some more reading on trigger points in the glutes with relation to lower back pain and came across a pair of trigger points that were really tender, but I hadn't worked on previously. A few days of working on those points has resulted in total elimination of that constant dull ache in my lower back. Even on days when I could function, I still woke up in a great deal of pain. That hasn't happened in about a week.

Those trigger points are still fairly tender, so I won't jump back into lifting just yet. Still, it's encouraging that I'm finally feeling some sustained relief for the first time in almost half a year.

3. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I can't imagine what he was thinking. How many people really use a belt for under 3 plates?

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I belt at over 2 plates. I don't see the point in not wearing one even for light sets, makes the lift safer and makes using your abs easier. Can still pretty easily fuck up your lower back with 100kg.

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Hmm it might be the leg strength. I've been going a bit easier on the squats cause of knee issues. Might try to add in some additional leg work.

I'll give this a shot.

6. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I remember hearing that more people get injured with warm up sets/whatever than actual heavy weights. IDK if its true or not :/

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

i get injured more doing stupid stuff, like kinking my neck when i sleep or tweaking my back putting a dumbbell back on a rack or something. i've never noticed a gimp i sustained from an actual lift.

8. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I still have a fucked up nerve in my upper back/neck from bouncing the bar at the top of my squats.

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I don't know about you but I can brace my abs just fine without a belt, I'd feel dumb as fuck having that thing on for lighter snatches or cleans. Not to mention that since I don't have my own belt, the smallest one at my gym is too big for me anyways.

Also this. Most injuries I've had were a direct result of being shitfaced and clumsy...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i have a 37" chest, i feel tiny

12. virus646

virus646 Senior member

13. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Does it really even make the lift safer? Easier isn't necessarily safer, esp if it allows you to move more weight. Heavy things are actually less safe than lighter things.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

It helps me brace my abs better by pushing them against the belt, which keeps my back tighter and more straight so i'd say even with heavier weights its safer. I'd say the risk of the extra 20kg or so I can get out of the belt is nothing compared to the improved form I get from the belt. I suppose the extra weight might add more risk to other parts of the body at risk during the deadlift such as your biceps or upper back, but i'd say the lower back is the main part of your body at risk during the deadlift. I do think I might have bruised a rib or part of my stomach with it today though, but thats nothing really.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

we're all forgetting the real purpose of belts, wraps, and sleeves: so you can look tough while you bro out in the mirrors.