Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

holy shit I always thought I was supposed to avoid flying backwards. ok, can't wait to try next week.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im really beginning to think I chose a too small max for smolov because 80%+10kg for 4x9 was pretty easy, obviously harder then last week, but I had enough energy to do a couple sets of speed bench and speed deadlifts. I think smolovs helped my deadlift a little bit, getting 140kg doubles insanely fast

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

This is basically how it's done in the OL world too. Ofc there are some slight differences in how one sets up for cleans vs. straight-up deads, but I digress.

The cues that work like magic are 'squeezing' the bar off the floor and having a lot of tension in the starting position.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

finally squat 135lb after about 2months in the gym.

The general:
    DL = 225lb
    Bench = 140lb
    Squat = 135lb

SPBR has squat days as 2x5, but I ended up only being able to do 3x4. The fifth one I didn't try to attempt. Ashamed! But I was gassing...should take a longer rest in between reps perhaps. The weight of 135lb itself on my back felt lighter than I thought. The assistance lifts are doing its job. Will stick with 135lb squat and perfect form first before going up again.

bw = 151.6lbs (estimated guess taking into consideration of clothes and shoe weight)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

5. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Nice, though I'm not so sure you need assistance work if you're only squatting / benching 135. More squatting! Seriously, having done so many squat reps from SS it just feels natural. I squat anytime I need to pick something up instead of bending over.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

@Toasty, congrats on reaching your milestone!

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Did some Rack Deads for the first time ever yesterday. Really enjoyed them. Didn't feel like I was doing a whole lot besides a forearm workout, but everything from my ass to my traps is sore this morning. Did some Pendlays, leg press, and pullups with them as well. Did 3x12.10,10 with 365lbs. My goal is to be able to get 405 3x10 and not have a grip failure.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

First day of smolov where i've felt like death. Vomited in my mouth 5 times, which is to say on every set. Usually its pretty intense, but today was next level. Dreading 7x5 on thursday. Back to back squats 2 times a week is not fun. Thinking of losing the belt because that may be what is making me sick because i've gotten it pretty tight, but I doubt i'd be able to finish the sets without it. Half way done now with the base mesocycle. Quite excited to test my 1rm after and then have 2 weeks of speed work, which should be pretty easy, hoping to hit 3 plates. I think the intense mesocycle afterwards is a bit easier. Form has improved a bit, which it should do after 207 weighted squats in 8 days. Getting my bar position better raised it up a little bit, my lower and upper back tighter and squatting in more of a curve. Still want to stop basically doing a good morning, but apparently people with long femurs always do that so I don't really care.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Did speed pulls for the first time in ages today.. really fun throwing around 320 :)

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

That was how I read this through the first time. Thought to myself, "That cannot be true".

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Need to stop thinking im stronger then I am and buying pointless gear. Dad ordered some wrist wraps from inzer because he's gotten back into working out, but his right wrist got broken in a car accident so its always acting up. Got an email from inzer today saying they're on back order so its gonna be a couple me weeks and if I want I can adjust the order. Bought knee wraps for funzies. My belt and wrist wraps are kind of justifiable because my right wrist is funny and I don't see any point in not wearing a belt, but im not gonna have any use for these knee wraps until im squatting like 405, which won't be until late next year probably. Suppose it saves shipping I guess.

12. demeis

demeis Senior member

Buying stuff is fun! At least you have them when you need them. But I know what you mean, got a little carried away and just bought 100+lbs of chains. The wife is not happy about it but you can't return cut chains!

Also how is Smolov working for you (if you posted before I'm to lazy to go back through this long thread)? I've always been curious about it but have always seemed to shy away from it as it seemed like to many days squatting to be effective.

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im only half way threw the base meso cycle so I cant really say. The first week was very easy, but the last 2 days have been horrible, especially today probably because on the 2nd week you increase all lifts by 10kg. Im only training squats, I haven't really done any other upper body work. In 1 and a half weeks ill be testing my new 1rm and hopefully it will go up a bit. My squat forms gotten better. I don't really get any leg doms from it strangely enough, at the time its horrible, but afterwards im not sore at all. My upper back seems to be my most tired part. My legs do feel stronger and a bit bigger though, its a good program I recommend it if you can also sleep for 8-10 hours a night and eat shit loads to aid with recovery.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Christ, according to the scale this morning at the gym, I've dropped a weight class... still my lifts are going up - wtf. I'm hoping it's just dehydration.

Also, I'm seriously starting to think my rather long bout of low-carbing depressed my thyroid like crazy. I mean now I not only lift way more, but have a lot more energy (and look way better, if that means anything) compared to my taliban days of old. And I eat stuff like bread, pasta, rice and simple carbs too (I dare you to resist zoning out with some cookies and ice cream while playing Skyrim).

Don't want to start a feud, just an observation I've made.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Weights have been going up, I'm at my lowest weight since probably about June - 175.8 - with way more muscle so I know I've lost more than 13 lbs of fat so far. Awesome feeling, gonna stuff myself silly this weekend and hopefully not gain too much then bust my ass for the next two months to finish off this cut. :slayer:

The dip belt is awesome, I fucking love it.