Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Interesting Information :teach:
    Men typically require a force of about 77% of their bodyweight to perform a push-up, while women require about 71%. The difference comes from the fact that, despite that women have tittays hanging from their chest, the center of gravity for men is closer to the shoulders due to dense musculature in the upper body, while for women is in the lower part of the torso towards the waist/hips.

2. virus646

virus646 Senior member

275x3 high bar squat today, PR feels good :slayer:

Also found out how it is MUCH more easier to hit a good depth with a pair of simple nikes rather than classic chucks when doing shoulder width high bar squat. HUGE difference. Maybe when I'll switch to low bar I'll try using chucks again.

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

10-20g? Most dosage stuff I've read says 5 grams?

4. theom-

theom- Senior member

umm, dude if you're only deadlifting 150, you definitely shouldn't be on 5/3/1.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

yeah 5/3/1 is intermediate at least, should be able to squat 1.5 BW

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah, 5g will help if you respond to it. But most guys that hit the gym hard aren't fully saturated until 10-20g.

But heck, you might be a non-responder if you get a bunch of creatine from your food sources already :)

7. mrchariybrown

+1 +1

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah go 5x5 or something, progression on 531 is too slow and your not getting enough volume to get your technique down.

Eugh got to do 7x5x80% in a bit on squats, really not feeling this.

9. mrchariybrown

Do you need an e-slap across the face to get you going, you fucking pussy? Go get it bitch!

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Are you suggesting that dropping the bar instead of lowering it allowed you to double the number of reps you are able to perform? Or you are somewhat new at this and have rapidly doubled your reps?

Did you start with a beginner's program and stalled out a couple times, which is why you are on 5/3/1 now? I understand the suggestions that you 5x5, but no one thought to ask if you already came from one.

I eventually came to conclusions regarding where I wanted my max rep sets to be. When I started, I took a 90% 1rm but then the spreadsheet I used took an additional 90% 1rm which left me with a 20 rep squat. The issue came up after I increased the weight a couple times and I found myself insisting on a 20 rep set out of ego.

I think most would agree that high rep sets that push to complete fatigue contain some dangers that bear watching out for. One issue would be that the form degradation is more difficult to detect across a high rep set as it only changes slightly rep to rep. Performing a 5 rep set at your 6rm is not as mentally fatiguing, or you don't experience as much mental drift, the type of physical exhaustion is different, and the weight is such that you are less likely able to "get just one more" at really shitty form. Wendler does want you to perform reps definitively with good bar speed and with good form.

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

+1..........bitch

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Got it done easy, only took about 45 minutes. Been out the last 2 nights for my birthday so I was feeling pretty sick. Vomited in my mouth on the last 2 reps on the last set, but i still finished it. Gonna crush 10x3x85% tomorrow. Im guessing it gets hard next week when i increase by 10kg.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Pretty decent snatch work today, 8 singles at 55 kg (and maybe some change too on the bar... can't remember), if I continue progressing at this rate bw snatch is 4wks out.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

14. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

For the best couple years, I had been doing machines/cardio at the gym and eating like a bird. I am 6'1 and was at about 135 lbs. A couple months ago, after feeling like I was constantly low energy/strength, I decided to increase my intake and move more towards a gym routine that would increase my strength. After reading about 5/3/1 here, I decided to go that direction. Perhaps in hindsight I am not really the target audience (too novice) but I have enjoyed the program. Besides bench press, I had never done any of the 5/3/1 lifts and the combination of improving my form plus gaining nearly 30lbs has probably allowed me to make quick gains. I would like to stay on 5/3/1, I enjoy the base lifts as well as the assistance work but in the case of DLs, I think the combination of learning technique and putting on weight has resulted in situations like yesterday where I did too low a weight and therefore too many reps.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

5/3/1 is really nice but it is sloowwwww progress, especially when you are a novice and can still abuse linear progression. its very easy to have excellent form with light weights; the thing with form is keeping it in check under a heavy load. but if you really realy like 5/3/1, whatever floats your boat.

has anyone else been playing too much skyrim? i let out a "FUUS" before i squatted today (0).