Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

that is kipping pullups? so that is what the dude at my gym was doing.

same dude i said who can squat about <= 405
    seems like his routine is all crossfit/oly lifts ... must talk to him

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

ahhaha i am lolling over here. excellent.

nonono you have something that works dont mess around with it, doing what "the jacked guy" does may not always be a good idea.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

funny thing is the dude is not jacked.
    he is about 5'8/9 and thinner than me from pure looks. he must have been training for years to be at his strength level and endurance.

i think crossfit training will give me the aesthetics and power in my lifts I am working on thus far.

do people who train crossfit do cardio or their workouts already incorporate that aspect?

Disclosure****
    I am not changing up my routine, just trying to educate myself.

4. virus646

virus646 Senior member

+1, you have no idea what he did before doing crosslol.

Jarude: nice pulling you got there :embar: all right, all right, I'll do it tomorrow :nodding:

Edit: Crossfit is good if you want to be ''in shape''. It uses good movements (oly) but does way too much volume to have optimal strength gains. IMO, it can be a good thing for peeps that do not care about being strong as fuck but want to do something more interesting than simple running and for those that already have a solid base to work with.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Try sticking with a program (IA, SS, SPBR, etc pick one) for a couple of months first.

6. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Yeah, been using SPBR for a good 2 months now. I noticed it takes a good month to jump up in weight in my lifts.
    Is that fast? I guess it is fast for me as I was hesitant to lift bigger last night when doing dumbbell bench press.

I remember reading that someone automatically moved up more weight if they can complete their set at the lower weight i.e.

3x5 @ 45,45,50 day 1. Following week, 3x5 @ 45,50,55

I tend to do the former for a couple of weeks before actually making the weight increase. Either I am forgetting (not writing things down) or am still not psychologically comfortable.

I may consider crossfit in 2012.

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

can anyone recommend some knee sleeves? $80 for some rehbands is crazy when I'll probably end up growing out of them. Might just get the elitefts ones.

Also, I lost 8 lbs due to the stomach flu, I'm so fucking pissed. Probably will start creatine now as I can go up 14 lbs and still be in the same weight class. Here comes a long no clothes fitting period.

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The level of retardation in Crossfit basically comes down to one either using their brain or not. Doing inane shit like OL against time with techique that at best could be described as lacking is absolutely up dumb-ass creek and then some. There are prolly a lot of xfit trainers that realize this and modify the stuff that is done to reflect this. Unfortunately, though, a lot of them don't - case in point, my local joint would have ppl coming in and doing kipping pull-ups and snatches with nearly maximal loads right away.

And the 'athletes' coming in were not fit dudes, mostly 40-something cubicle monkeys with very little physical fitness. Contrast this with my coach who has ppl snatching PVC as long as it takes to have a correct bar path and something resembling correct technique BEFORE even moving to the barbell.

Also what irks me to no end in xfit is passing off bad technique as 'hardcore' - I tell you fellow lifters, asking for a torn rotator cuff from butterfly pullups or a spinal disc herniation from shitty DLs is not hardcore, it is simply fucking stupid.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Gonna get rehbands for xmas lol

10. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Does he require you sign a non-disclosure agreement? I want details to prove to me that his "training" is more than eat more / lift more.

11. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I am not familiar with SPBR specifically but with most linear progressions you want to increase the weight as soon as you get all your reps with good form. You should, ideally, be increasing the weights on each workout. For a program like SS or GSLP this amounts to +40-60lbs per month on squats, half that on upper body lifts for a couple of months before you start to reset.

I don't know if you can stretch out the noob phase by slowing down your progression like you're doing.
    IIRC there was a dude on the SS.com forums only adding weight every other workout but he was in his late 50s.

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Weirdest part: In reverse, slowed down, this gif creates an awesome chin up variant.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

nothing magic, he just gets you focused on the right things; that being said im not going to post my routine out of respect for the guy. he has a lifetime of experience doing shit that works really well; his personal success as a lifter and the success of his clients speaks for itself. i dont understand where you're going with the condescension; if you want proof, hire him.

i keep waiting for one of them to fly off and faceplant the bar.

thanks broheim, the more people there the better. you can sling weights around just fine and dandy sir, best be letting everyone know.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Inzers are like $45 I think.

I think im fine without a trainer, really don't have the money to pay for one right now, making great progress as it is and as long as I switch back to 531 after smolov I think I'll be fine. Not feeling squatting again today, even though yesterday was pretty easy I still have DOMS.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

I'm definitely not buying inzer knee sleeves to wear for olympic weightlifting. I cannot imagine wearing them to a meet.