Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Did low bar squats tonight after reading your initial post and was trying to figure out what you were doing... take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but you'll probably have to play with grip spacing, elbow/wrist angle, and possibly even messing around with your 2nd thumb joint to get it comfortable (if it's behind the bar).

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

lu xiaojun at the world championships.

170kg snatch 205kg Clean and jerk @ 77kg

Could have placed 4th in the snatch, 3rd in the C&J and gotten 4th on the total in the 85kg class.

best part: he's 5' 7".

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

what a difference working out within an hour makes, or so it seems.

so typically i work in with my brother, taking turns between sets. so that is about 3-5min in between.

today, wanting to stay within an hour since it is pretty late, i managed to finish my workout between 11 - 12pm. feel more fatigued in a good way, muscle soreness, and overall more energized. my set wait time was fairly low as well.

question: today i jumped up to 50/55lb dumbbell incline/bench press. my incline i was able to do 3x5 45,50 & 55lb no problem. but when i did dumbbell bench press 4x8 50,50,50 & 55lb, i couldn't for the longest time grow some balls and pickup the 55lbs. worse is i almost rolled/hurt my ankle putting the weight back after my last set 1x8 and failed last rep. :lol:

how to overcome fear? i was scared the weight was going to land on my face.

4. virus646

virus646 Senior member

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

acquire testicles. Your doing dumbbell bench, not proper bench, if you think the weight is gonna fell on your face drop it to your sides, not on your face.

First say of smolov today, doesn't look too hard 4x9x70%, looks pretty easy actually.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Thanks for the input, I will play around with it, at the very lease its good to know that others have similar issues.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

it took me forever to get my squat form figured out and the two things that helped me nail it were hips breaking and the grip issue. as soon as i found out a way to stabilize the bar comfortably my squatting got awesome.

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

This and This.

9. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Can you elaborate on the hips breaking issue and how you addressed it?

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

You want the hips to "break" first in the squat, as opposed to your knees. hips will be first to break, and last to lock-out. breaking at the hips help you sit back as far as you can, keeping the bar above the foot/heel. gets the hams and glutes going and minimizes forward lean. squatting is primarily about the hip drive/"pop" so if you aren't unlocking/locking out properly your squat won't be doing what its supposed to.

descent
    Stand up straight
    Stick your butt out slightly by flexing your lower back, penguin walk around like this for a bit to get the feeling of your butt sticking out/back
    Start to lower by pushing your hips back, not down, think about sitting back in a chair. your hams should be getting pissed off at you right now
    Once you feel your upper body start to drop, lower your hips by bending your knees, hit depth keeping your chest high (this is where elbows down really helps)
    ascent
    chest high, focus on pushing your hips forward under the bar
    voila!

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't see why people are so adverse to the forward bend, as long as your not going like parallel to the floor bending forward a bit isn't gonna hurt. I find it helps you use hip drive instead of just quad strength.

First day of smolov was piss. Got out of the gym in like 20 minutes. Got my legs really pumped, but it wasn't hard. I suppose the fact that ill be squatting tomorrow and thursday and friday is whats gonna make it hard. Kind of worried I entered my max a bit low. I'm using a relatively easy 1rm tested when I just got my belt and I couldn't even get it tight and now its pretty broken in and helping a lot. ill give it a go for 3 weeks, when its finished I'll just increase the weight for the intense phase. Hoping to get an 140kg squat out of this.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

forward lean always happens, you just have to minimize it to avoid getting folded over, thats all.

13. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've been eating better and working more steadily than I have been in the past few months and I feel like I look worse.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just measured biceps at 15" woooooooo, still look pretty small. At my height 17" is generally what people consider to be big, but its getting there. Hoping the upper body doesn't shrink after a smolov.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Totally been there, man. If you want, PM me your routine/eating and we'll see if we can work out some beneficial changes.