Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

lmao

2. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

I smoked 18yrs (I quit a year ago and I am also 30), but I'd run 3-5 miles a day and do hill sprints. I've actually noticed a drop-off in lung capacity AFTER I quit smoking, I might just be paranoid, but I've definitely have a lower VO2 Max.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I've been off the tar for about 5 yrs now, so I'm not that worried about damage incurred. If I smoked now, and with the nonexistent amount of cardio I do, I'd probably need to catch my breath while climbing the six flights of stairs to my apartment :laugh:

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Did Guillotines for the first time today. Only a matter of time until I seriously hurt myself doing these but until then, they are awesome.

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

The math on that is awesome.

Do you guys shave your calluses?

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Hilarious.

Honestly, I can say that this is one of the main reasons I lift (minus the screw offers from other women). To have the functional strength to do what needs be done in any situation.

7. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Yes, I started smoking when I was 11/12, thanks to having divorced parents and an older brother who left Marlboro Reds laying around his room. By 13/14, I was buying Camel Lights on a regular basis and it wasn't until August of last year, I just stopped smoking. So, it might be more like 17yrs of smoking, as for shaving calluses, why would you? That doesn't seem like a NOV thing to do...

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

i smoked for 2 years, on-and off; i had quit but was in the military and started up real quick again. smoked the green stuff for like 5 years but knocked that off too.

all the bad shit in my life got me into the gym in the first place. anyone else have an addiction-prone personality? when i got really hooked on the lifting, missing a day made me cranky like i would be without smokes/weed. i could draw definite parallels between my substance habits and gym habits in terms of the dependency i had and how my moods would alter because of it.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Definitely. Can totally relate to this. Having to break my "addiction" to gym time has, ironically, made me more productive though and produced better results.

Went through a distance running phase in high school that paralleled a stint w/ bulimia and anorexia. Had to run all my miles every night of the week, and that scale had to be less than the day before or I broke down to the world. :embar: Rather pathetic to look back on now, I know, but what can you do?

10. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Totally. It is one of the few places I can just forget about everything and have mindless fun.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Nah too much of a pussy to stab at my hand with a knife. They're getting pretty gross now though and they're really rough. I think using chalk makes them worse since it dries out your hands. Ripped girl friends tights by putting my hand on her leg.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Also my program ADD is coming back, considering doing smolov for squats to try get my squat up to 140kg and because a month of squatting 4 times a week will probably break my belt in pretty well. Will probably get my squat up to par with my deadlift and then I can go back to 5/3/1 again. Do i just squat with no accessory work at all? Guessing upper body is gonna get weaker, but no fucks given. Just gonna do the base meso cycle, a whole 13 weeks of not deadlifting or benching would be too much for me.

13. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

I pick at the calluses while in the shower. Hot water really softens em up.

14. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Smoked cigarettes for 10 years and was hopelessly addicted. Could not go 6 hrs without one. Luckily, Chantix + Wellbutrin is AMAZING for quitting. Not sure if I ever put this on SF, maybe did, but lived as an alcoholic from ~25-28. Have also experienced lengthy stints of gaming addiction.

I have withdrawals if I do not go to the gym, however I do not feel any need to exercise daily. I have done it for brief stints, but inevitably overtrain, recognize it, and back off. So that is a bit of a quandary, there. The gym does not prevent me from doing things I need to do, it simply exists as an important part of my week, so it's probably safe. Fact is, I am spending less time exercising and seeing better results from less, so that is motivating to keep it in check.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Callus maintenance is easy, just soak your hands in hot water for a while and sande them down. That way they'll never rip or tear (which is painful and annoying). This is why I have cyanoacrylate in my gym bag.. if I tear one, just glue it back up.