Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Agreed.

2. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Dudes who look ripped probably just want to look ripped. That's the end-goal.

I hate running. Ran track for years and put up with all the pure running for the fun stuff, hurdles + jumps.

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i will never stop dl/squats, i am hooked.

especially DL being the biggest gain having stuck with SPBR

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

you're all forgetting the most important part: running sucks nuts and is boring and unpleasant. the only good part about running is the tail in lululemons that you will inevitably encounter in a college town.

:slayer:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Agree - running just to run is insane. I appreciate its benefits, inasmuch as distances helps my soccer endurance, but the idea of just running to run is so vague to me.

6. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

hendrix: I think the simple answer is some people like to lift weights and hate cardio. If they look fit, good for them.

On a related note, my brother (the marathon runner) and I (lucky if I get 40-60min of 150bpm cardio a week) recently had some blood work done. Poor bastard has "elevated" cholesterol and blood pressure while approaching pre-diabetes blood sugar whereas my numbers came out super clean. Admittedly my diet is much cleaner than his, but he eats far better than most people I know.

Seriously though, cardio fucking blows. I'll start training when a zombie apocalypse becomes a real threat.

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Seriously people, there is a world of crap that is not running that counts as "cardio", and I bet something in there is pretty damn fun for you. I mean, if you're a serious athlete in a strength sport, sure, but the average jack should be doing something.

Hell, if it wasn't for cardio I wouldn't lift weights now.

8. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Depends on what you think is reasonable, I guess?
    With zero running training (do prowler pushes count?), I did a very informal (around my neighborhood, measured distance in Google Maps) 5k in under 30 minutes last week whilst wearing VFFs.
    Not fast at all, but at par or better than my co-workers that picked up running earlier this year and are congratulating each other on their 30-minute 5k times on Facebook.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Again, the cardio thing isn't really an either/or -choice, unless you're really a competitive athlete on either end of this line:

[​IMG]

Some ppl like to lift, some like to do endurance stuff - that isn't to say that if one is going for overall athleticism and health one shouldn't include a bit of both. I find lifting strictly for appearance pretty lame anyways, so guess I'm not really in your target audience.

For me the choice was pretty simple, a couple of years back when I was running 20 klicks eod I felt like lukewarm shit all the time not to mention it was pretty mindnumbingly boring. Now I'm doing almost no cardio at all and feel pretty great (as I mentioned earlier, I don't count barbell technique work or walking as cardio).

My goals are pretty much all in the left end of that scale and I could give two fucks about whether or not I have vascular abs, so I'm going with what feels good to me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Don't know if I could even run 5km, probably get a stitch around 200m and then vomit pretty soon after. No conditioning + 2 years of smoking has pretty much killed my ability to do any cardio.

Also toasty, you said you wanted to get bigger so people gave you a program to get bigger, if you don't want to get bigger don't do the program. I can't wear any of my old clothes, had to sell off shit loads of dior, mcqueen, rlpl, tom ford, vivienne westwood and all these beautiful clothes and replace them with uniqlo shit. I still look better because im not skinny anymore.

150lb isn't big, it's still skinny, stop worrying about a bit of belly fat, once your 180lb you can worry about it.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I smoked for 6 years, don't want to know how much of my lungs that killed.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Gonna test my 1rm on the squat today with my new belt. Hoping around 140kg, probably get around 130kg, 3 plates would be nice.

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Any of you guys run into wrist issues? I was doing those "jump & clap" pushups about two weeks ago, and the next day I experienced pain in my left wrist if I bend my hand a certain way (twist to left).

Of course, I've tried to stick it out and I'm not unable to weight lift but while the pain has subsided it's still tender if I move my wrist that way. I'm too busy to see a doc, but it seems inevitable. Ugh.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

That workout was shit, new belt didn't do anything, felt like I was squatting raw, but with the extra couple pounds of the belt, couldn't get it tight enough for it to actually do anything and it dug into my ribcage I was concentrating on the pain of the belt more then the lift. Im guessing this will subside when it softens up? Got more out of my shit golds gym belt. Basically cried doing a set of good mornings with 80kg, belt was cutting into me so much.

I've had pain in my right wrist since last week, I just wrap it and the pain goes away, but now its constantly bruised from the tightness of the wrap.

15. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

hendrix:

I agree with what you said. For most of the people that go to the gym, competitive weight lifting is not a concern. Yet, most of them will only lift. It's those people that benefit the most from doing some sort of endurance cardio, as they're just in the gym trying to keep in shape [and as a result look "better" for some definition of better].

For serious lifters that are hoping to compete, doing endurance work is antithetical to their goals.

FWIW I consider myself in the former category. I'm not building to compete. I want to gain 20-30lbs over what I started at and then maintain. I've been trying to figure out what cardio to add. Treadmills wreck my knees, but it's getting cold out so outdoor doesn't work. Gym doesn't have an indoor track AFAIK. Stationary bike is boring.