Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I do generally believe that the ability to run a 5k is important, but "reasonable time" has a shitton of wiggle room. Maybe it is me, but I find cardio easy to develop and quick to be lost. I feel like the people you are laughing at probably have an extremely strong base to train a sprinted 5k on if they wanted to. The question would be, without a sport to entertain you, why would you want to? With my limited time and recovery ability, I have elected to work on adding 20lbs to my bench as opposed to stripping 20 seconds off my 5k.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

This is all true, but often people go 5 years without any period where they bother picking up fitness.

Anyone can get decent at running in 6 months of light training. So why wouldn't you? I mean, you go to all the trouble to get strong - and for me at least this isn't really about aesthetics - and if i'm gonna go to all that trouble why would i not care about fitness as well?

They're quite similar goals in my mind and i find it weird when people ignore one or the other.

3. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I hate running. Always did and will not start soon. Actually hate cardio in general but understand that conditioning is an important part of my progress (jim wendler style, running hills). Couldn't care less for my 5km even tough it may not be that bad. Am I a bad person?

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I am considering going back to cardio, 8min runs top on the treadmill. I use to do it everyday after a work out.

I am getting "bigger" and one part is my tummy. I wouldn't describe it as a gut like my former self.
    For instance, I had some pants taken in about 1.3 months ago. Today, I felt a little bit stuffed having to tuck and wear trousers.

What you guys think? I most recently just broke the 150lb mark. I don't feel fat/bigger as mentioned in previous post, so my gain in weight/size is very subtle. What to do?

Also, my thighs/quad are starting to be tight in all my pants :fu:

Simple answer:
    Get waist of pants taken out :lol:

this is my biggest fear honestly (0), not fitting in any of my clothes... real stories from fuji and mrchariybrown or so I've read

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. virus646

virus646 Senior member

No offense getto but from the WAYWT pics, you look skinny as shit. Wouldn't mind taking a few pounds if I were you but that's just me.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What are similar goals? Being strong and looking aesthetically pleasing? Please explain and I'm confused as to your reasoning. Unless it's just "it doesn't align with my goal, so I find it strange." Which is your personal bias, and I can totally get behind. I feel that any man should be able to squat 315 and deadlift 405. But that's just my own opinion.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Another interesting point is that, contrary to popular belief, running can really help you put on weight, so long as you eat enough to counter the calories.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

What do you mean? Take a few pounds?
    I will forever be skinny (fat) :sad:

Perhaps it is my height and "physical weight" that makes my appearance skinny. I really do not think I am. Compared to mentioned dudes in my previous post and it seems the larger gym community here, than yes.

Edit: BTW, just read mrchariybrown post and I am going to state it here, I am not asking about aesthetics. My first question was addressing cardio and secondly, I am very happy with my strength gains and progress so far.

9. mrchariybrown

gettoasty, if you feel fitting into skinny clothing is more important, then stop squatting and deadlifting and doing, imo, what lifting is all about. Stick to benching and curling like all the bros.

If that isn't the case, then I suggest you stop complaining about your thighs and ass getting bigger because with getting bigger and stronger, that's inevitable.

10. virus646

virus646 Senior member

^ listen to this man, you won't fit in any skinny jeans anymore if you keep squatting/dling and shirts will be a pain in the ass to get a good fit. Otherwise, start embracing good ole 501's. Just set your priorities right!

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Wanting to be strong is a similar goal to wanting to be fit IMO: semi-health-related goals (but not really) that are equal parts about the challenge, about the endorphins, about the ego. Personal things which give great pleasure. Meeting goals. Totally personal; you only rely on yourself.

This is a terrible analogy, but it's not often you see a skateboarder who doesn't also enjoy snowboarding.

Alot of weightlifters would really enjoy running. Unfortunately, the whole "you only need to diet to look good" and "running will negatively impact your lifts" memes - while both totally true - seem to have been overstated and have brewed a culture where people are too easily overlooking something that would be a nice addition to their fitness regimes.

12. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

well thanks for that comment. should be easy enough as i don't wear skinny anything -- only slim.

edit:
    Just thought of it, and what I am addressing is how to get that v-body i.e. drop. I feel like my waist is getting bigger as I get stronger (eating more I assume). Should I be concerned about maintaining the midsection right now to get that v shape, or later? the SPBR only has 3x10 ab work outs twice a week. and i currently only do leg lifts with ease... should probably find something more challenging.

13. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I would say running is too vague. Training your conditioning IS something important not to forget (things like HIIT or sled dragging or prowler pushing) but you don't really need to run for dozens of minutes on the treadmill per se.

14. mrchariybrown

Once again, stop doing big compound lifts if you want to look all slim and cute in your clothing. Squats and deadlifts are going to beef up your core with muscle and it sounds like that's not something you want.

15. mrchariybrown

I agree that for the average person, it's good to have some conditioning in with the mix.

But for those focused on one specific goal to get stronger or bigger, cardio hurts.