Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

No disrespect, but no one can answer that for you. You're going to have to make an educated guess based on your training experience and give it a shot. Personally, I am on a less-is-more kick.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

that vid was great jarude

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

i liked the triumvirate. 2 assistance exercises, pick the ones you like in set/rep ranges that are tailored to your goals. minimizes fuckarounditis and gives you a chance to do stuff you like, gets you in-and-out fast . admittedly, i never did BBB or the other ones, but if your main goal is strength it should be pretty simple to pick ones that will help your main lift. i cant speak to BBB, 50% main lift x10x5 doesnt appeal to me, probably just a being a puss though.

:fistbump: honey badger owns, everyones lives would be better if we rolled like that.

4. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

Great, I've been making great gains and in the middle of my 5x10 @ 50%, I felt a twinge in my right hip and now it hurts, my upper quad is stiff and there is a pain in my ass literally. I hope it's nothing serious and doesn't keep me out the game long, I guess my upper body will get all the attention now...

5. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Reverse grip bench presses are pretty baller.

I look like an idiot doing pull throughs at the gym but I don't care! :slayer:

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I got rocked playing soccer last saturday and my knee is still feeling tweaked. Damn.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

you mean when your wrist is facing toward your head instead of outward? what is up with this? seen 2 people at the gym do it. trying to be cool??

8. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Reading C&P is much more likely.

9. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

IMO just doing 5/3/1 will make you stronger already.
    The volume from BBB will add mass.

So far I'm enjoying my combo of BBB for upper body, bodyweight+prowler for lower body. I had trouble recovering from BBB squats and deads.

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Disagree with this, too many people try and squat into their deadlift; they try and stay upright and bend their legs too much. IMO you're stronger when your back is more horizontal to the ground.

Your lats will be working hard to keep the weight back at your shins as your quads straighten your legs, and your lower back lifts.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Could be that I pull sumo, which is basically a leg press with a bit of hip drive to lock it out. Suppose conventional would be a lot more hips. I feel it in my lats, but if someone asked me where I feel deadlfits I wouldn't really include them because its pretty minor, kind of like how it feels in the traps, but I suppose for some people with weak lats they might feel it more. Lower back shouldn't really be lifting I didn't think unless your going straight leg.

I really liked the BBB template. I found it got a bit tiresome to do after a while. With the 5 sets thats 11 sets of the exercise with the warm ups. Also found after a while I didn't really feel it at all, deadlifting 50%x10 was really easy. I started doing it for time, which was pretty fun, but it was a bit of a hassle to time each set so I started doing 5x2 with like 75% of my 1rm for speed work.

Edit: This belt is absolutely ridiculous, whats the chances of me being able to squat in in on thursday? I can't tell if its too small or just I can't bend it around my body because I can only get to the first hole.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

never done sumo but i imagine it would be alot more leg involvement.

Deadlift is basically an isometric back exercise+ hip drive movement. Too many people try to stay upright.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Works triceps more heavily, I suppose if you have shoulder problems and want to work your triceps it would work better then close grip bench press.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I feel like I've come a full circle in some regards... just a year ago (or something like that) I was asking Penn ITT for help on my admittedly shitty power cleans. Well, today a dude I know came up to me while I was doing some clean drills and asked me to teach him how to power clean. While I don't feel like I'm really at all knowledgeable on the topic of O lifts, I was able to give this guy a pretty solid demo of how it's done.

It's kinda problematic, giving advice on the lifts.. I mean, I know the positions for my proportions (I'm sort of optimized to OL, being 5'8" with short arms and all) but for guys who are much taller than me, their clean and snatch starting positions and hand positions are going to be something totally different.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  15. demeis

demeis Senior member

What have you done to break it in? Best thing is to wear it but they are hard when you first get them. I would fold it in half and step on it. Then keep doing this at different parts. Also things like baby oil's help soften the leather but can be messy. I just bought a new belt to but the 10mm after someone stole mine at my gym. I would also suggest if you can rolling it up and then putting a 45lbs weight on it to hold it. I have found these things help a lot.