Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

no hate but a 2 plate squat isnt going to appear because youve been grinding on ss for a few months. that being said, like virus said there are other routines that you would benefit from after youve done ss for awhile, can't reccomend spbr enough. some people will say otherwise but coming from SS to the spbr it was the perfect; there's some kind of upper work on every gym day to keep your inner bro happy.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

5'10//152.4lb,

first time breaking 150lb and i don't feel "fatter/heavier" if that makes any sense.

it maybe because i ate 3 bags of gummy bears essentially in this past week. OR, i have been eating a bowl of plain oatmeal w/ brown sugar for breakfast (the oatmeal in diet is new. pretty quick to make in the morning before work < 5min and tastes great for winter).
    whatever the case, i gained some weight unknowningly as my diet has not changed really. i eat lunch everyday (consisting of mostly mixed brown rice with veggies/protein base).

also DL 225lb today. Did 3x5 set first of 135lb, 185, 205 then 3 reps of 225. I COULD NOT GRIP THE BAR @ 225lb. It was slipping so that is why I stopped at 3 reps...damn. It was pretty heavy but my form is good enough to do the rep "correctly" and I feel no "discomfort"

question though, when performing DL/Squat, which muscle groups are you suppose to feel worked more? I understand it is "full body" but e.g. when I DL i feel it around my midsection, chest, upper back, arms and less so in my legs. When I squat, I feel it a lot in my thigh, a little in my hamstring, and some in my mid area. Can these be telling signs of whether I am doing the exercise correctly?

FWIW, one of the few dudes who does oly lifts "watched" me and didn't say anything today. I am assuming my form is better than average. His friend was DL = 405 - 495lb (4-5 plates). eeep

I found them intimidating, especially on a Friday night when the gym is empty... as he asked to borrow my barbell for some snatches (or was it jerks?) He said he couldn't hear me :haha:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Chalk and alternate grip if you aren't already.

Post a video.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

No you should be feeling the deadlift mostly in your legs since it should be the legs, which are pushing the weight up. Post a video of your form if your not feeling it in your legs your probably pulling the bar up with your back. Squat should be legs, lower back and abs.

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Easier to just link a "What do DLs hit" thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139414793

I find the post which suggests that you "feel" a DL in your weakest link to be accurate. I can't imagine my DL form has changed all that much but I have felt legs, traps, upper, lower, and mid back over time. Traps were first. That was an exciting time.

6. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

First time deloading on 5/3/1, definitely a hit to the ego. I should wear a sign, "deloading, dont judge me," as I overhead press an empty bar........

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Im never gonna be able to get this inzer belt on. I swear they sent me the 13mm, this thing is a beast, even moving the pin in the buckle is hard, I can't even roll it up. Easily twice the thickness of my golds one.

Edit: Yeah its the 13mm, just measured with some calipers, well they gave me a $20 more belt, but its probably a bit over kill.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I wear a belt on my trousers, my lifting sweats have a drawstring...

j/k

10. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Embrace the 13mm. After the first year of solid use, it'll be fairly pliable.

11. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I don't know if it's the alternate grip, the week off from lifting, or what... but solid PR in deadlift today.

I'm not sure what to add to my lifting routine... I feel like I'm not doing enough.

M:
    Deadlift
    Pulls
    Dips

W:
    Squat
    Pulls
    Dips
    C&J

F:
    Bench
    Leg press
    Calf raises
    Dips
    Pulls

I might add a bro curl session on my Mondays, since I feel like I'm not getting enough bicep action in. :nodding:

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I've been cleaning as warm up for deads, it makes for some freaking sore traps. OTOH the bar positively FLIES up.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A little intimidated by 455 + 90# in chains for 2 sets of 3 tomorrow..

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

what the fuck is this shit you are going to stomp in there and run a pain-train on that bitch-ass lightweight bar and then you are going to smash it all over again before it has a chance to beg for mercy :slayer::slayer::slayer:

15. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Going back to the gym today after 3 weeks off...2 weeks vacation + 1 week lazy.

Thinking of trying out 5/3/1. This website http://www.strstd.com/ has been posted in the past and it gives 5 variations of a 5/3/1 program. Any recommendations as to which one is best? My only goal is just getting stronger...I'm thinking Big But Boring?