Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

BTW, you did SS or some other routine? I'm asking since I've been doing SS, but I'd like to do something more for the upper body.

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think I did SS when I first started working out, but I wasn't doing the progression scheme right because I was training 6 days a week because I thought that would work better where as in reality it stalled all my gains. I think its got plenty of upper body personally, more upper body then lower body, but if you want to do something more upper body intensive do IA SPBR, I stopped doing it because I thought it was far too upper body intensive. It still has you squatting and deadlifting, but it will have you benching, pressing and incline pressing up to 2 times per week for 3 sets of each. I didn't like it, too much volume.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

you guys are approaching it in an either/or mindset. it is possible to squat/deadlift and do high rep assistance work to build size; its not like if you are squatting and deadlifting you must completely ignore everything else. everyone wants to unleash their inner bro, no problem with that. personally, i dont feel there's merit in ditching squats/deads just because.

the problem is: stinger, what makes you think you are going to magically swole up and make progress if you are majoring in the minor stuff? if you can't progress squatting 3x5 i am wagering you dont have the dietary discipline or training know-how to suddenly start assaulting volume and make progress with it. im not saying dont do it, im just saying you should look farther into why you're stalling rather than flailing your hands in frustration, deciding that squats in sets of 5 don't align with your personal preference and do a bb split because these jacked bros at the gym dont squat and theyre jacked. flawed decision making at its finest.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

+1 ^ This.

If you're wanting to burn more calories, don't stop working the largest muscle groups in your body via deads and squats. Bring down the power a bit, and go for volume. Get your blood flowing a bit more during your workout and maybe throw in some more cardio. There's no reason you need to throw off your lifting or your gains to target aesthetics rather than power.

5. virus646

virus646 Senior member

+1 to what have been said.

You guys should try 5/3/1 or SPBR (ironaddicts.com routine). They are way more fun than SS. Or you can also try a split routine, have little success with it (can't say for sure but most of the time it doesn't work that well if you don't know what you're doing/still a newbie) and complain all over again that having no progress is not fun. Just my 2 cents, in all case, keep training :slayer:

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Was down to 177.0 this morning, which I'm hyped about because that's the lowest I've been in a few months. In like May I was I think 171-ish and bulked up on SS but also put on a ton of fat because I wasn't really watching my diet. I lost 10 lbs in a month in August/September which brought me down to 178.0 and have been recomping since then. Best part about this recomp is that I'm gaining mass but also my scale weight's going down by like 0.5-1.0 lbs per week which validates my progress in both bulking and cutting, mwahahahaha.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I think if I ate all that in one sitting I'd puke. Why do you people have such trouble hitting protein goals without resorting to shit like this? It honestly baffles me.

8. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

Perhaps I phrased what I said wrong. I still do squats and deadlifts, albeit with higher reps/lower weight/less rest than in most powerlifting routines. I like to view lifting as a way to clear my mind and escape the monotony that occupies the rest of my day - while doing SS I just got pissed off and didn't really look forward to going to the gym. I don't really follow any strict training routine right now, I just work my different muscle groups hard, eat clean and get plenty of rest - I'm getting bigger and stronger so I must be doing something right :slayer:

Speaking of bros, I've seen a lot of them at the squat rack lately. Squatting, not curling/pressing/jacking off, actually squatting. What the hell is going on?

9. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

I eat an actual tracked minimum of 4000 calories per day, with 200g protein minimum. I log everything i eat and i never miss my target calories. Which is shown by the fact that i've packed on 14lb now in 7 weeks. I look bigger, i can lift slightly more weight, but im not making any progress in ages now and some of my lifts are going backwards. I've started taking 2 days rest between workouts but my strength is not increasing yet my weight is.

I dont expect anything to happen magically. As you can see from the above, i dont have problems with diet, and have gained weight very fast. In probably 9 months total training, probably 5 months serious training (including a 2 month gap fracturing both elbows and losing over a stone) i've gone from 135lb to 179lb adding 5" to my chest, 6" to legs, almost 3" to arms. Bodyfat looks to be around 15%, im still carrying less fat than the average guy so im not that worried about it yet. Im still gaining weight just as fast, but none of my lifts are going up, and my squat should be close to 100kg by now, not 70. I just feel that doign for example 8 reps on the bench with 5kg less weight allows me to use much better form and really work my chest and triceps. I dont want to do curls all day, i want to work my whole body, and i feel that i can work harder by using a variety of exercises. I could be wrong, but my biceps look noticeably better and are still creeping up in size whereas my chest, which should be growing a lot faster than arms, hasnt budged in a month or more. The only difference is, i do about 4 sets to isolate the biceps once or sometimes twice a week. My theory is i might get better results by focusing on each muscle group in a similar way.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

It was delicious. Wasn't like it was a chore to eat, think I've just gotten used to eating a lot. Milk was a bit of a hassle to drink, but the sandwich was lovely.

I still really think the reason your bench is staying the same is because your form isn't too good. Take a video of it, im betting your not activating your back or using leg drive. Your bench seems to be the main thing bothering you.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Just a thought, but you've gained 44 lbs. I don't know how much more mileage or newbie gains you expect to eek out of SS, especially if you are still "gaining weight just as fast". You can't push that rate of gain forever. Additionally, I don't know what makes you think that you should be predestined to run your squat straight to 100kg in 5 months of serious training with a large training gap in the middle of it. Maybe my perception is just fkcd up and I will admit that I thought I would have reached my strength goals a long time ago, but I see no reason to think you should have run straight up to 2 plates in 5 lb increments.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Haven't you only been squatting for a few months anyway since your old gym didn't have a rack? db is right, 100kg isn't exactly a huge squat, but its not that easy to obtain, took me a while to get to it.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

it's been almost 2 months now and on topic about gains, switching up programs:

I find the simple power based routine to be right for me currently.

aesthetically, i have slimmed down a little, toned certain muscle groups, but majority of the results have been in my strength/power.

i know some beginners start off with a goal of aesthetics in mind (as did i), but personally i am quite happy with my strength gains despite little change in my body type.

as someone mentioned, sure i can add cardio to tone some more, but as light weight i am currently, i am essentially maintaining /gradually building up strength.

i think aesthetic will come later down the road, either becoming really swole or just slim.

and when i feel like i am beginning to stall, i just push up my weight. i probably look quite silly at the gym being "skinny" but doing lifts like 50lb dumbbell incline bench press. biggest problem when i hit higher weights is stabilizing the weight on me. my arms sometimes shake a lot.

for the dude who has gained weight but not "Strength" in terms of lifts...do you honestly push yourself? adding more weight in your lifts is quite intimidating and i second guess myself, but once you try it for the first time, you may surprise yourself :nodding: Don't forget a spotter too.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Never mind misread what you wrote

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Great gym day. Squatted 185lb 3x5 at 130lb bw painfree. It's been about a year since I've squatted this heavy and I was experiencing significant pain at the time. Going to keep the weight steady for now, don't want to push my luck and risk injury with my hips. (Previous PR of 215) Going to keep going with the other lifts, still have a ways to go before I reach my old PRs.

Followed up my session at In n Out. Ohhh yeah I feel great.