Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'm eating a Cinnabon right now. Y'all suckers. Gym tomorrow morning at 730am.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wish I had a cinnabon or two right now.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

@Gettoasty

Love it.

5. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I have no mirror in the home gym, but I've been at a commercial joint this week and have been forced to look into a mirror. The good news is my squat depth is great. The bad news is that I have had a vision (originally provided by stronglifts, followed by starting strength) of how arms should look during the squat (high bar and low bar) and my current low bar sweet spot has the wrists flexed very far and my arms chicken winging out almost parallel to the ground.

Thing is, I haven't done low bar a whole lot in the past 2 years (mostly front and high bar) so upon this return to it two of my primary goals were to avoid shoulder pain due to grip and to find a spot that felt particularly stable. I developed my current arm position by what felt right, not what looked right. I figure I'm stuck with it until I return to fronts and things may change once again if I get back to 160.

I feel that squat form displays great person to person variance based on minor physique differences and that all lifts display significant variance based on large physique differences. When I go into a gym, 9 times out of 10 I am the shortest male at 5'9 and 9.5 times out of 10 I am the lightest. The form of all my lifts, especially the squat, has had to be evaluated and trained with workarounds built in to accommodate my frame size. Providing a stable shelf for the bar during the squat (front, low, and high) has been a consistent challenge the past 2-3 years.

The Stronglifts guy has some good advice. He says, no matter what you do, gain weight to 160-165 for the benefit of all your lifts.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Might start doing some more upper body work so I can use a wider grip. I don't think I do any at all right now. Just squats, dead, bench, press, GMS and weighted chins. Any recommendations? I guess face pulls or something like that would be good.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

8. mrchariybrown

Face pulls are my favorite upper back workout!

I usually do 2-3 sets of 20 for those near the end a workout.

I do them with a #4 band but you can use cables if you don't have bands to work with. Just make sure your elbows don't dip below your wrists because then you start to "curl" the weight in too much.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just bought Titan THP wraps, 24" long. Costed about $40, there i like 1 website in the UK which sells powerlifting gear and they charge $180 for an inzer belt 10mm belt. I guess its worth the health of my wrist, but fuck that was expensive. THP is the stiffest wrap they have and i've read some reviews and they sound good, better then the cheaper $30 one im guessing. It was either this or I could go into town and buy some crappy elastic thing for $15 thats basically just a sturdy sweatband.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

one finger pullups, shit son. scandinavia is awesome

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I got the cheapest wrist wraps I could find for snatches.. they seem to work fine. And my wrist discomfort is totally gone now, it was probably just my joints getting used to the movements.

Oh and the IWF WC starts on saturday... my predictions are that Lu and Klokov are going to rape everyone in their respective classes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

how much difference in your physique have you noticed, trh? i know you said OL is a calorie torch due to no eccentric + huge bar distance done repeatedly so you're leaning out, but what muscle gain have you noticed? OL looks badass as all shit and i would love to get into it once i reach my strength/physique goals which admittedly is going to take a long ass time.

13. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Oh wow!

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Should not have trained today, wrist is killing me. Wraps should be here on monday hopefully. Trained overhead press, still managed to PR, but my wrist is aching so much. Only do seated dumbbell press for 531 then 5x2 on push press and then a couple sets of chins. Did chins +20kg for 1 rep.

15. mrchariybrown

Wrist wraps are going to change your life.