Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

on the other hand, i cant comprehend squatting without having the bar supported on my wrists/back. bringing your grip in, pointing elbows down and letting the bar settle down flexes your whole back up and keeps you tight throughout the lift. what do you mean by not keeping your back upright? thats one of a few things separating a squat from a good morning, no?

the second i bring my grip out a little bit, my hands flip back and the bar rolls down bigtime. time to squat :slayer: leg day assistance work can blow me though :(

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. fuji

fuji Senior member

Does it matter what wraps I get? Im guessing I don't need those stupidly rigid ones people use to bench 700lb.

http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/accessories/wrist-wraps/cat_14.html

gonna order from here because they have next day delivery and we have a very limited amount of dealers for powerlifting equipment in the UK. Gonna get one of the titan ones, probably one of the first 3 since I doubt I need the staff wraps. I bend forward a moderate amount during my squat, but not nearly as much as I do in good mornings. I also don't really bend my knees all that much during a good mornings.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I like the "stupidly rigid" ones. I have one of the more rigid ones you can get, and I still wish they were tougher. If I'm not losing circulation to my hands and if it doesn't hurt when it's on, I've not cranked them tight enough :)

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

[​IMG]

I squat like the middle, my back is not upright, it's angled to accommodate bar position. Sounded like fuji was talking about a low-bar squat with an upright back, which makes no sense to me.

5. mrchariybrown

When you flex your back, you have more of a ridge/shelf to place the bar on top of. If you lose tightness or have a bad setup, the bar could easily roll of.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

do any of you guys fulfill terrible gym stereotypes? now that i lift in seclusion i grunt and stomp around like a bro-zilla smashing tokyo to get pumped up for a big set. my neighbours must think im a mouth-breather. i wouldnt do this in a commercial gym, but every time i edit my lifting vids i cringe when i hear myself.:embar:

7. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Well I'm doing high bar, so for lack of a better picture here's approximately my bar position (not me):

[​IMG]

I don't keep my hands in a dumbass position like that, obviously. I actually keep my thumb on the outside of the bar and use my hands to pull it down onto my shoulders. Usually I need to take a wide grip as it's tough to hold the bar even this high after doing bicep/tricep work. So that's why I can't conceive of a slip, I'd be more at risk of straight up falling backwards.

8. mrchariybrown

I sometimes grunt during squats. But out of pure need for it. That's about it.

Well, and dropping the bar on the last rep of deadlifts when I want to save my back for the next set.

I get what you're saying. I do the same thing you do.. probably even more so because I put my pinkies underneath the bar. But some guys hold the bar like in the picture and it's possible for the bar to fall backwards. Hell, the bar has gotten loose on me even with my current set up.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Dude, you're lifting at home.. do whatever you want to. I can see how that would probably be frowned upon in commercial gyms, but it's your house, you make the rules. To answer your question, it kinda depends on what the definition is. I do spin the bar sometimes while I'm setting up for cleans, but I doubt anyone gives two shits about that.

There's also the fact that when I squat at my campus facility (not the one in the pic) I always face away from the mirrors which usually means that I'm facing other dudes who are watching themselves in the mirror. Don't know if that pisses ppl off but idgaf.

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

The other day I did a Chest/biceps workout. I wanted to tell people "it's to round out my kettlebell routine, i promise!"

11. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Haha, you don't even have to mention that you do OL to know that is a picture of an Oly gym. Squat jacks, platforms, a bunch of bars and plates, and nothing else.... perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Also, congrats on the snatch PR! Enjoy it while it lasts, because soon you'll be getting to the level where it will take weeks to get another 2kg gain.

In my C&J practice the other day I heard some guy say "Wow, that is a damn good clean" after one of my reps. Now, I'm at a regular gym, not Oly specific, so even though I'm not great, there's rarely anyone C&J or snatching close to what I do. Regardless, it made me feel good since I had been struggling with that weight for the past 2 weeks and finally got my 3rd pull to fall into place.

To move heavy weight in a squat, one of the most important things is that the bar should remain above the center of the feet--not fore or aft--and everyone's body structure will dictate how things must move to best accommodate that requirement. It all depends on your torso to leg length ratio, joint mobility, bone structure, etc. I was lucky to realize early on that I shouldn't try to squat like other people; I should start light, find what is comfortable and natural for me, and then work from there.

I squat the same as you. High bar, hands just draped over. I see some people that appear to be propping the bar up more with their hands and arms than their torso, and it just looks uncomfortable and dangerous.

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

that's a great and useful picture, saved. thanks

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

yeah, that makes sense, i dont think its physically possible to keep a 90 degree upright back on a back squat. when he said something about not keeping his back upright i thought he was folding over on purpose, like going past the initial forward lean which extra makes no sense.

honestly, if you get set up right in low bar with elbows down, narrow grip the bar isnt going anywhere.. i wouldnt say one is more dangerous than the other. thumbs-over grip + elbows down + flexibility is key. that and my PC chain is comparatively stronger and pretty flexible so low bar is a big win for me.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

+1 - I realize I'm doing the exercise correctly and not actually buckling over.

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

i was trying to explain it to my flatmate, the picture just makes it so much clearer.