Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I just did the ones recommended in the book.

I've read of people doing deficit (feet on a plate) snatch grip DLs instead of conventional DLs as accessory.

Wendler has also recommended switching the DL and squat assistance on BBB for novices that would benefit from additional exposure to squats (so they squat 2 days a week instead of one).

2. fuji

fuji Senior member

My BBB routine is

deadlift
    Cambered bar squats

Bench press
    Weighted chins

Squat
    Cambered bar good mornings

Press
    Weighted chins

works good, upper back is kind of sore all weak though.

Since sorting out my bench form, my weights been flying up. Leg drive and keeping a big arch helps so much.

3. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

This is the format that you are referring to:

Squat 5/3/1
    Bench 5 @ 55%, 5 @ 65%, 5 @ 75%
    Assistance 5x10

Deadlift 5/3/1
    Press 5/3/1
    Assistance 5x10

Bench 5/3/1
    Squat 5 @ 55%, 5 @ 65%, 5 @ 75%
    Assistance 5x10

Assistance is kept to a minimum and he lists the following: Chins, Dips, Back Extensions, Neck work, Ab work and curls.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Anyone have advice for cutting through all of the noise and getting to work quickly?

I'm brand new to this (posted this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/272598/first-time-getting-in-shape-age-31-need-your-suggestions), and am feeling overwhelmed by all of the information.

If you were -just- getting started with a goal to gain around 10-15lbs of muscle, what steps would you take to keep it simple and safe at the same time? I'd like to focus on lifts that are tough for a new guy to screw up since I don't want to fork out $100/hr for a personal trainer.

Right now I'm thinking of only doing the following:

I think I'm doing these close to right:
    - squats
    - bench press

These I'm pretty sure I'm doing wrong:
    - barbell rows
    - dead lifts

Ones I'm considering but haven't tried:
    - Overhead press

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

How in the fuck can you be 'overwhelmed' with information if 2 guys have recommended you do SS in your threak?

7. virus646

virus646 Senior member

8. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I'm getting my brother on SS. I think the problem for most people is that they've been hearing misinformation for so long that it takes a little while to process and believe the good stuff. Hurrah for having a decent bench spotter.

On a different note, would you guys take up Oly coaching if it was offered at your gym for an extra $50 a month? Former US strength team Olympic Coach offers his services at my gym. That brings the total monthly to ~$85...

Thinking of starting in January. Getting bored of SS.

9. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Sorry, not just information from my thread, but in general I've been reading dozens of articles online at various forums.

10. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Depends on where your lifts are at and what your goals are. Personally I've moved on from SS (tho I could've stayed on it for a while) to other lifting progs, and wouldn't do something like this until I'm advanced/highly advanced (see here). But then again I'm pretty stingy.

It's hard to realize how simple this stuff is because of the amount of noise out there. Again, all you have to do is hit your kCals/macros and do Starting Strength.

I gave you an easy lifting prog based on SS principles in your thread; just do that switching off between A and B. All you have to do now is construct a diet, stick to it, and do that lifting prog 3x a week.

11. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Get strong, add 10 pounds, be lean.

I did SS for a solid 5 months, took a break, back on it for another 3 now. I haven't stalled on any of the lifts this go-around so I can still get a lot from the program if I stick with it. I'm just really bored and find myself at the gym only twice a week because of it. Oly lifts look like fun but $85 a month for the gym is a lot for my broke ass.

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

This threak has most everything a beginning lifter needs.

Well, you must know how I'll answer to this. Seems pretty steep though compared to what I currently pay...

If you love low bar squats, you're in for a change is all I'll say.

Cliffs of cliffs for beginners:

do SS or SPBR or 531 or stronglifts - any program built on the big compounds will work. Eat a lot, rest. That's pretty much it - lift heavy shit, eat and rest.

13. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

How many sessions of oly coaching do you get for that extra $50 a month? Might be totally worth it. Trainers in my area are all around $100/hr, and often with an 8-session minimum!

On that note, if anyone here is in the DC area and has a fitness first membership, I wouldn't mind meeting up for a few pointers.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

If your scale weight is going down, you are making progress. If you are increasing your lifts, you are making progress. If at least one of these is true, stop worrying.

That's the mantra I live by, and it's true for about 95% of people lifting.

This doesn't compute for me. I don't see how you could find it boring, unless you find lifting boring. The heavier the weight the more fun it gets.

If you want to mix it up you could go on the hellish prog I was on before (and still am, just with different lifts) where you go to failure on every single set. :slayer:

Anyways, this is my bias. I enjoy lifting in general so wouldn't find it boring ever, and am stingy so wouldn't pay $50 a month for some swole dude to yell at me.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I agree on the fact that I wouldn't have a trainer on normal lifts. OL otoh is highly technical and pretty much requires good coaching. Not that that would necessarily mean the guy wouldn't be swole or yelling, but still.