Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

ive become so hooked on assistance work. i used to be a rarrgghhh big compound lift/high intensity low volume sycophant but since ive been doing more volume in assistance i look a hell of a lot better and am a hell of a lot happier with my training. for me right now anyways, massacring my big lifts weak points with volume is getting me swoled up and stronger. get two birds stoned at once

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Signs you might be an olympic lifter:

1. You view every set above 3 reps as a high-rep set
    2. While looking at traffic lights at an intersection, the number 50kg just pops in your head
    3. The expressions 'perfect snatch' and 'great rack' don't mean women's body parts to you

Had to do the pyrros dimas thing on my PR snatch today... got called out for it.. a lot of laughs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

TrH et al: how do you get the weight down after C&J? My gym doesn't have a platform or anything so I just bring the weight down. Not slowly, but not wildly out of control either. Feel like there has to be a better weight. And the bumper plates are all too heavy for my jerk so that's not an option yet.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

tight snatches and public jerking

i dont know shit about o lifts but that looks badass, and these guys look like theyre doing everything right.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I drop it, gravity takes care of the rest.

You can return the bar to the platform in a controlled manner as well, at least if you're using such light loads. Just keep everything tight and let the bar drop back to the rack while slowing it's descent so that it doesn't crash down. From there you can lower it down, or if it's a heavier jerk, quickly flip the elbows under and 'jump' to meet the bar, so that it kinda bumps on your thigh (but doesn't collide, that's bruise time if it does).

Youre' OLing too? Aren't you the same dude that said knees don't go over toes on deep squats?

That's impressive as all hell, considering that the dude is lifting in flipflops... well, it shouldn't be surprising, the bulgarians are always picture perfect on everything.

6. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

The lightest bumper plates at my gym are 22kg or something. No way I'm jerking that. Thanks for the rest.

1. I just like the lift. *shrug* DL is my favorite thing at the gym, with bench being my least favorite.
    2. I was talking about knees going past toes when going parallel, not deep squats. Specifically, I saw a guy squatting on the balls of his feet with his knees then going really far forward which spurred that conversation.

I usually avoid deep back squats not as a flexibility thing but as a joint tension thing. Front squats and overhead the bar is in a different place so the force on my knee isn't as much, and it's holding up okay going ass to grass.

7. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Does anyone else find that changing the mental approach to a lift or movement can make all the difference? For instance, when I was first trying to learn a pull-up I was not making much progress until someone told me to "not think about pulling yourself to the bar, but to think about pulling the bar to your chest." After that I made a ton of progress. Then with bench press: "Don't push the bar up, think about pushing your body into the bench." A similar idea works for me with squats, thinking about moving my body against the weight, instead of moving the weight.

Dude, get that attitude outta here. Make it your goal to jerk 4 of those plates. If you never fail, you never know what you're capable of... so load up those 22kg plates and see what you can do. I bet that with just a bit of practice in technique, you can be jerking those plates and more. The only people who will smirk at you for failing are those who are afraid of failing themselves.

8. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Yes.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

pushing my body into the bench really helped for benching, same thing with driving my heels into the ground for deads. as soon as i force my heels into the ground its like my posterior chain lights up and the bar just starts rising

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Oh don't worry -- I'm making it my goal to get those down :nodding:. I know I have a long way to go. I want to get my form down as good as I can. Cleaning the 22kg plates isn't the problem, but my upper body is really weak. I know it's a full body press up but my forearms just aren't used to that type of movement yet. Slow and steady's been working for me so far.

I actually employ similar mental preparation when doing my lifts. I agree, it helps a ton. If nothing else it calms me down and gets out any jitters that lead to bad form.

11. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Was just curious man, not trying to be an asshole.

And yeah, sometimes changing a mental cue is all it takes to clean up ones technique/make the lift. Also, I'm quite pleased as my coach finally said that a couple of my snatches looked pretty decent. Knowing his background and the fact that he doesn't really dish out the encouragement means I'm probably doing something right.

12. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Just noticed that face pulls have become very popular in the past couple of months. I see at least one person doing them each time I show up at the gym.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Haha same here. I do them all the time with my #4 band and now I see a bunch of guys do them on the cables.

I just did them yesterday and my upper back is feeling it today :)

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Fitocracy Invite code for the Styleforum group:

Group Code: I6E7T

Group link: http://ftcy.co/tSvkon

Invites Left: 100

15. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Sorry if that came out a little harshly worded, definitely wasn't my intention.

Grats on the snatch, that plus your weight gains in it is pretty badass. :slayer: