Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

They put an unnecessarily large amount of strain on your elbow joints and tendons. It has to do with how the skull crusher treats your elbow as the lever pivot and the distribution of the loading throughout the elbow joint.

Some people aren't bothered by it but I don't see the point of doing them when you can do other exercises that are equally as effective without the added stress. I do close grip bench press for triceps.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

There's a guy at my gym with pretty outstanding olympic powerlifting form so after squats I decided to see if he could get me a few pointers on snatches since he was doing them and they looked like fun.

Since I've never done them before, only did them with ~100 pounds.. mannnn, they were awkward. But fun as hell.

I did like ten singles with them. The first half I pretty much deadlifted it and did a front-raise/snatch lol. But towards the end, I was kind of getting the hang of it.

I'll get at him next time for some more pointers. Probably will just stick with the same weight because I don't feel like going heavy with those and fucking up my right shoulder until it's fully healed.

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

The skull crusher without bending his arms is called a pull over. Its for the lats and chest, no triceps. I don't do any tricep iso work anymore, I did skull crushers and french presses and I didn't really feel like they were doing anything. I found close grip bench press to be them most effective tricep lift.

4. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Probably have to reset my squat now at 82.5kg, form today was terrible and ended up leaning forward and pushing up with my back quite a bit. Bench is going backwards, managed 5,4,5 last week at 55kg and this week managed 5,5,2. Really dont seem to be getting any stronger in the upperbody lifts. Deadlifted 110 for 5 reps, which is 5kg more than i ever got to previously so that was one good thing.

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

Carb loading day of UD2. Will hit about 1100 grams of carbs by tonight. Unfortunately I've had to drop a deuce about every 45 minutes and feel like my bowels may collapse before I reach my goal.

6. theom-

theom- Senior member

lol wut

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

lol I meant technique, not form :)

8. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

I went to the supermarket to gear up for my cheat day tomorrow. Among other things, I bought:

One full-size apple pie
    One dozen chocolate chip cookies
    One dozen donuts
    Four 8-packs of mini-candy bars
    A pack of bratwurst
    1 pound of potato salad

The old lady cashier looks at me and says "Oooooh, looks like you're having a big party! Can I come?"

I was simultaneously proud and ashamed of myself.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Forgive me, but I fail to see the need behind gorging oneself like this, even for a "cheat day".

But then, my cheat days maybe consist of PopTarts and half a pizza. I just can't imagine shoving all that food down the gullet so quickly.

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I am jealous of cheat day guys. I am such a glutton. But my day-to-day diet isn't stellar so I think a cheat day would have no point for me.

11. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

12. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I think you meant olympic weightlifting, not powerlifting.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

14. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

The Olympic weightlifts involve a higher power output
    Powerlifting involves more weight being lifted. :fu:

Anyways. Being sore is awesome. Since I've been doing more intervals and strict endurance training, I'm focusing more on low rep, high set work - 10 triples of OHP, 15 triples of weighted chins, doubles of squats, and eating 2 lbs of meat a day makes me feel :slayer:

Edit: I'm not eating 2lbs of beets a day :eh:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Damn, I feel ashamed right about now.. was on the sauce yesterday and thought I'd weigh in this morning. since starting OL I've lost 7.7 lbs and I'm still hitting the same numbers on my lifts as before (DL might've gone down a bit due to no direct training but I think I'm still north of 400). If this continues I'm about to drop a weight class :laugh:

I only recently realized what an idiot I was before... subsisting on superlow calories is not only going to make one feel completely like shit, it's also not going to strip the fat away as quickly as a moderate deficit will. I used to be a carbophobe as well, and that was a complete hogwash too... putting a decent amount of carbs back in has made a considerable difference in my energy and overall wellness. So all you newbie lifters can learn from my mistakes; when charly is telling you to put down those calories and have dem carbz, you better listen.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011