1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. virus646

virus646 Senior member

So do I. Rounding your upper back is not a problem, rounding your lower back probably is.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not unless I keep tight the whole time. It's when I loosen up, my back gives out - in which case, I just drop the bar.

Since letting my body do what it wants to, my mid back has become the thickest part of my back :) :)

I hate all that BMR crap.. it's good to get started. But once you are, toss it all out the window. You body's "BMR" (LOL) changes all the time and, frankly, those calculators put that number WAY too low for guys that lift intensely. And forget that calories burned session BS too.

Bottom line, eat a set number of calories with specified macros for a few weeks. See what happens and adjust. And so on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. mrchariybrown

Nothing impressive but see how my mid-back is the thickest part? (crappy picture I took about a minute ago)

[​IMG]

4. APK

APK Senior member

Without going into a ton of detail, I want to put an emphasis on the "shit ton of food" part. I've lifted for years, but for various reasons, never went through an extended period of getting even a gram of protein per pound of BW. I've been consuming about 1.25g/per pound for several weeks and am amazed at the physical difference it's already made. I haven't been able to do deadlifts or squats for a while because of my (improving) lower back issue, but I'm still seeing very positive body comp changes just from doing what I can in the weight room and absolutely pounding the protein every day.

5. mrchariybrown

And it ain't just that people. Need them carbs and fats too. Moderate amount of fats. "Shit ton" of carbs.

6. APK

APK Senior member

Thanks to stuff like fish, fish oil, olive oil, eggs, etc., I've had no issue getting enough of the good fats. I still prefer to get my carbs most of the time from vegetables and some fruit, except after I lift. That's more of a personal preference, though, since I can only eat a bit of most starchy carbs before I get a real uncomfortable bloat. Still love sweet potatoes, though.

7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

The BMR modifier isn't to adjust for calories burned during exercise, its to adjust for calories going into fixing your muscles after you stress them lifting.

8. mrchariybrown

Yeah, but even then, it's really inaccurate.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Let's assume -- hypothetically -- a girl asked for help in designing a lifting program (will not be eating for gains). What to recommend? Again, hypothetically...

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Tonight the forum would appreciate this ab workout I witnessed today.

Aka - throw this ball down on my midsection ten times per set, bro!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Had a nice week full of record breaking. Squat, bench and dead lift, all is going up :slayer: After being stuck for weeks, finally came to the realization that I progress quite faster on lower reps (1-3) than medium(5-8). I've been following a max effort method aka westside method for 7 weeks and still not close of hitting a wall. Feels good man.

12. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Pics before I can design a hypothetical routine for ya... :satisfied:

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

14. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Let's talk milk. How much do y'all drink? I love the stuff and usually guzzle a half gallon a day. skim or 1%. I think the GOMAD diet advocates whole milk but is there any benefit to that besides added fat for bulking? And it's more satiating I guess.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Lots of sugar in milk.