Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

A couple weeks ago I couldn't even do the bar because I would hold the bar too far forward due to lack of shoulder flexiblity, but now its sitting solidly above my centre of gravity so it just feels kind of like a front squat now. I wish my gym had wider bars. I have really long arms so I have to put my hands next to the collars, which is kind of uncomftorable. I really feel it in my traps and core, not really in my legs at all, but I suppose with only 50kg thats to be expected. Gonna keep at them, im worried my behind the neck press is gonna fall behind eventually and ill have to relearn the snatch to get the bar into position. The most I've done on a front jerk is 70kg and I'm guessing my behind the neck jerk will be slightly lower.

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You got to understand that even a maximal overhead squat will just be a fraction of your limit back squat - just like in competition, no lifter really fails due to not having the strength to squat the bar up, but rather due to errors in bar position etc. I find btn jerks a bit easier than normal jerks, but that's just me. OHSs work the abs so hard it's ridiculous (but true).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah I understand what you mean. First time I tried 50kg for a single I couldn't even get out of the hole, but the second time it went up pretty easily so it must just have been form. I don't really know why I'm doing them, they are really fun, but I haven't done oly lifts in ages, which is there main application. I suppose they'll strengthen my core, traps, shoulders, arms and back muscles pretty well, which well help with the big lifts. Is there any risks in doing behind the neck presses, I always hear about how they're horrible for your shoulders, but I've never really had any problems with my shoulders and I do lots of rotator cuff work so they should be ok.

4. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

well, I guess the btn jerk is easier just b/c the bar is basically laterally right where it needs to be, it just needs to move up where as in a jerk, the bar is in front of the hips and back and that creates torque that needs to be overcome. And as you're not really pressing the bar up in a jerk, you're pushing yourself down maybe it's easier on the shoulders than a btn press would be.

honestly though, idk. maybe eason or some other exercise science dude can give his opinion on this, I'm an economist. :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Ugh, no motivation to run outside when it's <40 F. Suck it up or find a treadmill? I usually abhor treadmills but I should probably get used to them.

6. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

I got a pair of cheap suit trousers (£20) and a fake leather jacket to go running in in winter, it doesn't get as cold here as it does in Minnesota but it does the trick.

7. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Just had to fight back a huge puke about 5 times during my hotel workout after a big dinner. Not fun.

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Only on SF. Next you'll tell me you're wearing oxfords as well?

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

serious, whats wrong with longjohns/sweatpants if its that cold.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Spectators obviously (canvas not suede). Oxford would be far too formal for something as leisurely as running.

Am buying a inzer forever belt for my birthday. 13mm or 10mm? lever or buckle? Im thinking 10mm lever. I doubt ill ever squat much more then 315 even after a couple more years of training so im thinking 10mm buckle.

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

fuji if you wear a belt in HK and squat anything less than me I will beat you to death (3)

p.s. you're gonna help me troll some morons while you're here too, I need someone to help me lift 5 lb weights while I scream. The other day these two fucking pok gais were yelling, I couldn't hear my music in my earphones over them even while I'm military pressing across the gym. Then they throw the 70 lbs they were db benching on the floor so everything shakes. I went over to where they were, picked up some 100's and did a set just so they knew they weren't real men.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

May be squatting less, but I might be at 4 plates by then on the deadlift. Long as fuck arms, no torso and sumo deadlifts with a 6" lockout ftw. You can borrow my belt whilst you lift the 5lb dumbbells and I yell "its all you man".

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

What I really want to do is put 2.5 lbs on each side of the bench bar and hold it with one hand while you do up-right rows from spotting position. I'll be yelling like "you got it YEAH YEAH YEAH NICE" from the bottom. I see these guys always doing upright rows as a spotter while the moron on the bottom does like 1/2 ROM with 225.

Obviously I'm some kind of asshole who only works out to make other people feel bad.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

when i was at commercial gyms i would dream up elaborate ways to show up bro-types who would grunt and throw shit all over the place, too. dont worry, youre still a good person

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

So, updating my 2011 goals, they are as follows:

learn to clean with decent technique
    learn to snatch with decent technique

after which I'll be working towards a

bw snatch
    min 1.5 bw clean & jerk

Apropos, doing the OLs is a good fix to the bro issue - if there's some running commentary you can always counter with "ok dude, you show me how it's done then" and it's pretty much guaranteed they won't be able to.