Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

What are some cheap eats for someone wanting healthy food? Grains and carbs are so damn cheap, sadly protein isn't. Greek yogurt is pricey, as are most meats besides chicken breasts. Beans seem alright. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way around pricey fresh produce. Any tips?

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Damn Chuck. Your food bills must be off the charts! How much do you spend a week? With all that cheat day food its got to be well into the triple digits.

3. APK

APK Senior member

- Eggs
    - Chicken Breast (you can get a four-pound bag most places here for $10)
    - Lean / extra lean ground beef ($5/pound)

Produce, you just kind of have to suck it up and pay a little more if you want variety. Broccoli is really cheap, as is cauliflower, spinach, onion, etc. Kiwis are really cheap (5 for $2 here) and excellent on their own or with something like Greek yogurt.

All in, it probably costs a little more to cook your own food, especially if you're eating with the idea of building muscle. I just look at it as an investment to reach your goals. And it's not like eating fast food is that much cheaper. Figure probably $10-$15 for food a day. It doesn't cost that much more to make your own food, even if you're eating to add mass.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I just assumed that he was kidding. Flourless chocolate cake is delicious, especially if there is a raspberry sauce involved.

Fat free cottage cheese is your friend. Beans are dirt cheap, especially if you buy them dry.

That is going to be some dirty ass chicken. Personal preference, but when it comes to meat, especially chicken, I am willing to spend more for organic. I'm not one who is all like, organic this and organic that, but chicken can be a really dirty animal.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

cheat day involved a double down. never had one before; to be perfectly honest its not even that tasty but at least i can say i've eaten one. after today i never want to look at ice cream again. over 4 hours ive taken in about 3.5 litres blended with a box of cookies, jar of nutella, some waffles, syrups... ugh. definitely had to force that down.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

junk food : check
    booze: check
    hangover: check

I don't think I really made it past 5k though... I'm sorry to disappoint :embar:

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Thanks for the encouragement. It's just that I don't want to screw things up by dismissing legit problems with the RAWRRAWRFUCKINGNOSEBLEEDSQUAT!1 -attitude. As long as I can steer clear of constant icing and prescription pain killers/muscle relaxants everything's probably OK.

8. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Cottage cheese is often recommended, but I can hardly stand the stuff. Additionally, it is full of salt. The salt can be rinsed off, but then it is inedible. Maybe there is a difference between cottage cheese and whey protein, but I can drink infinite amounts of chocolate whey milk while cottage cheese is harder than squatting.

Greek yogurt is an adventure. There are two locations I have found to date where the price becomes reasonable. Trader Joe's did sell 1lb for 2.98 which was the best deal in town. They now sell 2lb for 4.98 which is crazy. Aldi's owns TJ and has followed suit with a 0.89cent 6oz cup which is a cent / oz cheaper than TJ.

Some of the cheapest foods around are eggs and milk and oats. Keep up daily consumption of these products and your bill will drop.

There's a day of the week you can find the best meat deals, I think it's Sunday. Be flexible, buy what's on sale. I would not suggest killing yourself to find super extra duper lean products unless you're like a contest prep person. Increasing fat consumption has had ZERO negative impact on my leanness the past 3 months and more likely has had a positive one. Pork tenderloin, the long tube thing, is often overlooked and on sale, in my opinion.

I hear what du said about dirty chicken, but chicken labeled "organic" has loopholes and scams, so you have to educate yourself as a consumer. When you find the real thing, it may be prohibitively expensive.

9. APK

APK Senior member

Also don't be afraid of cheaper cuts of meat. A slow cooker will turn such meat into deliciousness.

10. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Finally took a video of my last set on squats, hopefully some of the experts can give me some feedback. The last rep was pretty bad as i had to push up with my back, but this doesnt usually happen and was the last of my 15 reps. Weight is 77.5kg. Missed one rep on the bench at 55kg (5,4,5) felt SO heavy, no way i can add 5lb next workout...i also need to a spotter as i had to roll the bar down my torso on the missed rep. Deadlift 105kg, was easier than it used to be, but i think i will stall soon. Probably need to eat more than my current 4000 cal to keep pushing the weight up each week.

[VIDEO]
    [/VIDEO]

11. virus646

virus646 Senior member

take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm no expert but yeah, keep your chest high and elbow low because as you say, the last rep was more of a good morning.

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

pretty good man, bar path seems straight-ish, so thats good. 2nd and 4th rep looked nice. you are juuuust at parallel, some people will say go lower. in my own personal experience i found going lower was better for me, helped me with my form, but if that is the limit of your flexibility then thats cool.

biggest thing that jumps out at me is the forward lean. look at the 0:28 second mark, you haven't started squatting but your chest has already started to sink. because of this, on the eccentric (lowering) phase you are getting folded over a little. then, since you're folding, on the concentric (lifting) phase, your butt is rising before your chest which forces you to "good-morning" the weight up. like you said this is really noticeable on the last rep; you can see it happen a little bit throughout the set.

keeping your elbows pushed down will help you keep your chest up. i know rip says push your elbows up and back to make that ridge for the bar, but this is just going to make you lean forward more. you'll need to experiment with hand placement with the low bar stance to find out what works best. for myself, i must do thumbs-over with my pinkies about 1" in from the rings. if i do thumbs-under the bar rolls back off my hands immediately and if i bring my hands out too far i can't maintain tightness. try this: point your elbows down and bring your hands in as close to your shoulders as you can where you're sitting. your arms should look like V's and your back should be flexed and tight. you want to replicate that feeling with the bar steady on your back.

control the weight more; you're muscling the weight up without allowing your posterior chain to really get involved. without your hips, hams, and glutes engaged you end up rolling around a lot and dont look too steady. remedy this by breaking at the hips and sticking your ass out. coming out of the bottom you should be thinking about your hips popping foward or wedging them under the bar and if you dont have your ass back you end up pressing off your toes and this doesnt let your hips do much.

sometimes it looks like your knees break first and you come down on the balls of your feet; with a little forward lean this makes for a wobbly looking squat (see first rep) with a lot of forward roll/momentum coming out of the bottom. what shoes are you squatting in? running shoes or trainers will really add to this problem - make sure you're squatting in chucks or something with a flat sole. i had the same issue; doing paused squats really helped me keep my ass back, my posterior chain engaged and the weight on my heels. paused squatting will also help with flexibility and depth.

overall it looks decent, just keep your chest up and the weight back on your heels.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Regarding cottage cheese, the secret is hot sauce. I know, that just makes it saltier, but whatevs.

On the organic chicken, I agree that there are a lot of ways to get around the organic label. I typically buy the stuff at TJs (haven't done much research to see how it stands up to the critics) which has the added benefit of also being free-range. It is expensive, but to me it is worth the extra money.

Round steak, brisket, and pork shoulder, FTW! Pork shoulder, from a flavor to cost ratio, might be the best piece of meat you can buy.

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

Eaten so much pork shoulder today. $1.10 a lb, cook it in the oven then throw it in a pot and cook it with tonnes of tomatoes, olive oil, peppers, onions and put it in a tortilla with spicy mayonnaise. Fuck loads of delicious calories and protein. Round steak is pretty good too, I always eat it cold with salt, pepper and olive oil.

Also I ate oats today for the first time, how do people eat that shit? It's disgusting. Mixed it with whey and berries and it was still horrible.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  15. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member