Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I highly recommend it. It's easily the best money I've ever spent on training-related things. I dropped 90% of my supplements and hired him. Costs me less and I just keep getting stronger, bigger, and leaner.

Tell him Charly sent ya ;)

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

do it. i am also with him and can't say enough good things about the guy.

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

2 things. Both fairly minor:

1. What kind of belt would you guys recommend for clipping weight onto for dips/pulls/chins? Link plz?

2. My dips have stagnated. Was thinking of dumbell tricep pushes, but never had good results with them in the past. Thoughts?

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

A dip belt, they're different then the ones you use for squats and deads and presses. I don't think you need to be as particular in buying one as you do in a lifting belt. I don't think its possible to attach weight to a normal lifting belt.

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

6. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

You should try cranking up the almonds from 1 ounce to a full cup of roasted nuts every day.

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

sandwich with hummus, assorted meat, spinach
    hard boiled eggs
    grapes
    almonds
    tamarind fruit
    yam (purple sweet kind) and sweet potatoes

i think i can do this. everything tasted so good.

bought thing thing of sardines for $3 that has 26g of protein. i do not think i can eat the canned tuna as most are in a soy liquid. only canned chicken.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  8. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Canned chicken is a sin against man.

9. APK

APK Senior member

Check in to almond flour, Charly. You can churn out some really great clean, but calorically dense meals with the stuff.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

^And bake quite the flourless chocolate cake.

11. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

There's canned tuna that's preserved in olive oil. It's the only kind I get, tastes much better than the water based.

I get mine from Trader Joe's

12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Taste -1000 for each round.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

A question for the O lifters: when you were starting out, did you ever have wrist discomfort in the snatch?

I seem to have slight issues with my left wrist, as I sometimes get this mild pain during my OHSs and snatches. Last time when I was doing a set of 2 power snatches and 2 full snatches, I also got some tingling in my thumb, index and middle finger. As an old guitarist, I was freaked as that would indicate classic CTS.. to my fortune however, the symptoms did not last for long and I'm pretty sure it's not that as I don't have any of the other symptoms.

I asked my coach about this and he said it may be caused by the fact that it just takes time for joints to get used to handling the load (wrist extension and radial flexion in the snatch and OHS). Also there's the fact that I'm quite old (by sports standards), and at 24 my joints will take longer to adapt. His suggestion was to use wrist wraps for at least the heavier lifts - just to keep the joint warm and add a bit of support.

I haven't had any wrist injuries that would cause this - I had a ganglion cyst there while I was in hs but I took care of that with the aid of NSAIDs and a small mallet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  14. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

It's pretty common for beginners. I think the issue is tendons and ligaments that need to be conditioned just like muscles, and with most people today doing a lot of iso work and limited ROM, they're not putting stress on their ligaments and tendons to increase their strength and flexibility. I think you'd agree that OL is an entirely different world in what you're asking your joints to do. As you gain more experience your wrists will become more able to bear the force necessary, and you'll find the hand position that give you the most stability and least discomfort. I get minor discomfort at OHS in the 100kg+ range, but not enough to dissuade me from doing the exercise. I mean, you're really getting your joints to do stuff they've never done before, you can't expect them to go along without a little bit of resistance.

You can see the lack of joint strength and flexibility it in many people trying to OHS, when they go down the bar goes out in front-- instead of staying over the feet by allowing the shoulders to flex back-- and then they fall forward. Same with cleans, as many people just don't have the shoulder and elbow flexibility to get their arms in a proper position to get the bar racked properly, so they end up loading the bar on their forearms and falling forward, instead of racking it on their front shoulders.

PS, 24 isn't that old.

15. APK

APK Senior member

Really? I've made almond flour chocolate cake a couple of times and while it didn't compare to a real chocolate cake, it tasted good and satiated a hankering for something sweet. Last time I topped it with these fat-free cream cheese frosting I made with a bit of peanut butter mixed in. It was fantastic.