Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Always like that whenever I'm in the process of gaining.

When I was maintaining or dropping weight, I ate comfortably.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

How much do you eat at maintanence? 1.5-2.0x what that calculator link said? http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

LOL according to that calculator I'm eating over 2.35x my caloric BMR to maintain

I don't really believe those calculators work that well but it's a fine place to start.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

:lol: how about "i just want to get toned, bro"

got this off of martin berkhan's twitter:

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

How is fat stored if one is eating at a deficit, exactly?

Well, we're talking about someone responsible enough to actually hit their macros, not a fat slob who has no self-control, so this comment really isn't relevant. There is no difference between getting carbs from ice cream or brown rice when it comes to fat loss.

This is due to personal preference then and issues outside of the realm of the physiology of fat loss. In other words, now we're getting into subjectivity and personal preference, i.e. "whatever works best for you".

Ah, but it is.

The only time you will lose weight is if you eat at a caloric deficit, regardless of insulin response.

2-2.5lbs per week is optimal fat loss so I was losing at an optimal rate, you can't get any better than that.

Your body requires certain amounts of micronutrients to function; just because you get the majority of your carbohydrates from ice cream does not mean that you cannot get these necessary vitamins and minerals elsewhere in your diet, so this is not an argument either.

All else being equal, I'll take the food I enjoy eating more.

From a fat loss perspective, there is none at all. From a general health perspective, there is none, provided that you don't go overboard and are getting the required micros (and don't have diabetes).

Edy's Slow Churned has 10 more calories per serving (1/2 cup serving which isn't that small, either) than fat free cottage cheese. Fit it into your macros for a month and tell me how it goes.

Was going to write more on GI stuff but I'm actually going to the gym now haha

EDIT: Alan Aragon in the link posted above actually somewhat covered the GI issue as well:

You could probably find more on this on his blog, I'll look later.

7. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Decided to stop calorie counting for a bit and just eat healthy foods. Chilli tomorrow :slayer:

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

ugh, dont want to go through this point by point, here goes though:
    -fat can still be stored if you're on a deficit. eat at 90% of your maintenance on a sugar diet and see what happens to your body comp.
    -we aren't talking about someone responsible enough to hit macros, we're talking about someone who eats "homecooked meals" and doesnt know what a macronutrient is
    -high gi carbs cause a sugar crash, if this is your personal preference, go for it
    -there is a difference between weight loss and fat loss
    -quinoa is still healthier than ice cream
    -insulin affects fat loss

your argument still amounts to "its possible" instead of "its preferable." your only real argument against not eating low-gi "healthy" carbs is the micronutrient thing which is pretty off; you could not possibly argue that long-term consumption of majority "healthy" carbs has no difference in health implications as opposed to long-term consumption of majority junk carbs. we can throw studies and links from people with agendas at eachother all night long but seeing as how higher gi carbs give off a greater insulin response which promotes greater fat storage i dont think there's any dispute here. how much fat storage? who knows. is it deserving of 90% of someone's diet focus? no, like you said, they should hit their macros first. the problem is you seem to be inflexible and militantly against the idea of a beginner eating low-gi carbs despite not being able to offer a good reason why he shouldn't eat them. you read like someone who is promoting someone else's agenda because you read it somewhere therefore it must be true. im not saying its not, but what is so wrong with eating a bowl of quinoa???

this is my favourite part:

delicious

9. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

God damn. I'm trying... really am trying to eat fast...

Not working out well mrchairy...

I also do think my problem is I get quite a bit of fat in my diet. I eat two tablespoons of Almond Butter in morning and two in evening as well as full fat greek yogurt. Have a handful of cashews for lunch. tuna with a bit of olive oil. 4% cottage cheese... Fats are great for satiety (but maybe working against me when I'm trying to up my calories?).

10. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Fat is stored when one eats at a deficit if fat storage hormones are high and fat burning hormones are low.

Just like how fat can be burned in a surplus. Read UD2 for the explanation.

11. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Wendler apparently has a "post" of some sort where he states his best gains were on the 3 day version. You really aren't gonna know what works before for you until you put in AT LEAST three months on one version and then AT LEAST three months on another. Because of that, do what makes sense for you today and change it if something fits better later. I did the 4 / week with a significant amount of assistance work for a long time and am currently doing a modified 3 / week.

editting this in:

The cardio question is a big one. I think it is best if you consider what your goals entail and how cardio would or would not help you achieve those goals. Execute and then re evaluate 3-6 months later.

12. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

UD2 = Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald? I'm not familiar with his work, is he qualified / the real deal? Finding real exercise/nutritional science stuff is damn near impossible with the amount of misinformation on the web.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

He says so in the 5/3/1 book.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I never argued otherwise. My comment in my previous post was based on a normal person dieting and exercising, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm not.

"Some ‘simple’ carbs have a much lower GI than other ‘complex’ carbs. For example, sucrose (table sugar) has a medium high GI (about 70) while some GI measurements for potatos are much higher. Full fat ice cream has a low GI (due to the fat content) and fructose (fruit sugar) has an extremely low GI (about 20) because of how it is metabolized by the liver.

However, the use of the GI is still debated in terms of its utility. Factors such as how the food is prepared, the presence of other nutrients (fiber, fat, protein), and the effects of previous meals all impact on GI. For non-diabetics, it’s especially questionable how relevant the GI actually is. Bodybuilders and athletes often use GI as a proxy for insulin response under the assumption that low GI means low insulin which is good...

...So what does this paper tell us? First and foremost, in endurance trained individuals, choosing foods based on glycemic index may be that much less relevant; regular endurance training will decrease the effective GI significantly. "
    Lyle

Emphasis mine.

Yes, of course there is. You will either lose fat or muscle; if you consume enough protein and lift then you will minimize or entirely prevent muscle consumption. Again, I'm talking about a normal person working out (i.e. either me or you) and not the "homecooked meal" guy.

Health is based on diet and exercise, therefore no single food is healthier than any other single food given appropriate portion size and factoring it into your overall diet.

But let's play this game. Which one is healthier, quinoa or cantaloupe?

I never denied this.

I thought I clearly stated my reason why: it's completely unnecessary for him/her to do so, unless they have other considerations in mind (i.e. satiety or micronutrient intake).

As do you.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Like I already said, my current diet would be considered "clean". What I'm saying is that "eating clean" and restricting yourself to low-gi foods is completely unnecessary for 99% of the population.

15. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

:worship2: :slayer: :worship:

That performance is amazing even without such an injury.