Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Broke 160 lbs yesterday for the first time, up 20 - 25 pounds since I started the weight gain / gym regiment about two months ago.

Recently decided to start on 5/3/1. Does 5/3/1 work best as a four day a week program (ie hitting the gym every other day) or would I benefit from going through the cycles more frequently and/or adding cardio on rest days?

2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

The only real difference is in satiety and how fast your body processes it; obviously complex carbs are processed much slower in the body, but that's only really relevant if you are diabetic or something like that.

In terms of overall dieting, if you do not have a medical condition or are not a professional bodybuilder then it doesn't matter as long as you are hitting your macros. Doesn't matter if you're getting your carbs from ice cream or brown rice.

Carb sourcing and GI tracking are broscience not relevant to 99% of people that lift.

What effect? In terms of weight loss/gain or overall health? Because all else being equal, it doesn't matter.

And this is coming from someone that dropped 10lbs in a month eating 2-3 tubs of ice cream a week. :slayer:

Eating "clean" is a myth, there is no such thing when it comes to fat loss/muscle gain as long as you are hitting your macros. Health is another factor entirely because then you are getting into micronutrient breakdowns and other effects that food can have on your body that are not relevant to fat loss/muscle gain.

I wish I could find it but there was an article I recently read about the history of clean eating, and how it has changed over the past 50 years based on current fads, basically saying that it's all broscience.

Again, as long as you're hitting your macros you're going to see progress regardless of what you're eating. Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be. Hit your macros, hit your kcals, lift, that's all 99% of people need to do to make progress.

EDIT: FWIW, my current diet is "eating clean" and carb timing, though the former is for convenience/enjoyment and the latter because it works best for me (not in terms of fat loss but rather water retention and muscle recovery).

Meal timing is also largely irrelevant for 99% of the population.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

Haha imagine telling that anecdote to a girl with bulimia. :foo:

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

i will be revisiting the last several pages as i have been this thread.

really appreciate all the suggestions and support. definitely will use theom and jarude general outline.

i underlined wheat bread because some or most bread in general contain milk. my bro bought some loaf for his PB&J diet that he randomly started a week ago and all i read in the bold was wheat. but then when he saw me eating it he said there is milk. i checked...and then for the next days i felt bloated/had the runs! it is more lactose intolerance than allergy. i just don't want dairy in my diet at all. it has been hard to cut it out and i think i have done so pretty consistently now.

as far as places to go shop, costco is probably my #1 place for bulk buy, and then there is the local dollar store and trader joe.

it is going to be difficult i admit at first, especially with a new job and scheduling everything, but i will put in the same time and effort into my diet as i have in going to the gym.

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

^Quite honestly, I love going to the gym after work so that I just crank out the exercises for a while and get my mood back to where I want it to be.

It's funny, often I will go to the gym with my wife. She always tells me that on the way over I drive like a maniac while on the way home I drive very calm and reserved.

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Although a lot of people don't want to hear this, I am going to agree with this guy.

A lot of that good carb/bad carb nonsense is only related to how long you feel full. Take the fullness factor out of the equation and it doesn't really matter if you eat "good" or "bad" carbs as long as you're hitting your macros.

And again, meal timing = irrelevant. If you want to eat every 30 minutes go ahead. If you want to eat everything in one huge meal, that's fine too.

I personally like 2 big meals and one smaller one.

hahaha I have definitely trolled an anorexic girl with my weekend eating feats

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

First O session today that I've totally bombed.. missed every goddamn snatch either in front or behind. It's a good thing my coach then had me do 10 sets of snatch pulls and overhead squats each to make up for the fact that the classic lifts weren't really going great today.

I attribute this failure to an almost complete deficiency of pizza, hamburgers and good 80-proof vodka in my current diet. I'll try to remedy the situation the coming weekend by hitting the sauce hard and going full-on charly in order to produce better lifts next wk.

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

1. I can see how it would matter more for a diabetic, but to say its irrelevant to everyone else isn't quite fair. grossly oversimplified, higher gi = higher insulin response = more fat stored, I don't see how that would be relevant to everyone remotely interested in this stuff. counterpoint: in the grand scheme of things, is stressing out the gi index of your carbs a huge issue? perhaps not, but i cant see an argument for eating ice cream instead of quinoa outside of "it tastes good." satiety is also pretty relevant to this especially if we're talking about somebody dieting while eating ice cream... not everyone is going to put down the spoon full of heavenly hash and say "okay, i hit my macros." not exactly a qualifiable argument, but still realistic

2. i wouldn't call it broscience as there is a ton of empirical data behind it. like i said earlier, is it the single most important thing people should be worried about? maybe not, and i agree that it is far more important to hit your macros. on the flip side, is there any really great benefit to eating high gi carbs other than the fact that they're generally cheaper and tastier?

3. in terms of satiety and how i feel throughout the day. to your credit, i cant qualify if there have been any body comp differences since i only eat high gi stuff on my cheat day. the odd times i have i've noticed mad carb comas and the sugar crash.

4. i wouldn't call it a myth. im the furthest thing from an authority on the topic, but to say gi levels of carbs have absolutely zero impact on fat loss seems off. is it possible to lose weight while having ice cream as your carb source? yes, as you've shown. is it also possible that you could've experienced greater success with other carb sources? quite.

as a whole i don't buy your argument because you are only looking through the lense of "fat loss/muscle gain." this is fair on some level; we're talking about someone who wants those things. however, to sweep "health" under the carpet because of "micronutrient breakdowns" and "irrelevance" doesn't float. i think all of us here are at least somewhat concerned about our physical health and wellbeing; while i may not be able to qualify the exact micronutrient breakdown of a cup of quinoa i think it only requires common sense to determine that quinoa is "better" for you than ice cream, no matter how arbitrary the concept of "better" is. this is long-term stuff; i would much rather eat something with greater health benefits and be able to achieve body comp goals instead of just achieve body comp goals.

even though gi index is of questionable importance when compared to the more important goal of hitting your macros, what is your justification? ice cream tastes better? having carb indulgences may help with dietary adhesion; it may also cause people with no self-control to go overboard. since your argument really only that it is merely possible to modify body comp regardless of gi index, my question to you: what is the downside of eating low-gi carbs?

hope i didnt come across like a jerk, i would love to eat ice cream all the time as much as the next guy. to be honest i never really thought about the issues that you brought up so you opened my mind a little.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

At work now but will find relevant articles for mad pwnage tonight.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

k just make sure to find some justification outside of "ice cream is tasty" :slapfight:

edit: im just not sure you can make an argument against eating low gi carbs outside of the tasty factor... it may be possible to only have to worry about your macros. but is it beneficial? i still think people are better served by eating things that are ***healthy*** lol.

11. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

ever since I got hit by a car on my bike, I've been trying to find other ways to stay fit (need to wait on insurance money for a new bike, blah blah blah). anyone a buddy of mine is really into cross fit/circuit type stuff so I've been working out with him. it's totally kicking my ass. I'm so pathetic at lifting, but I'm having a good time with it :slayer:

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Bro you ever deadlift off a bosu ball? I hear it really helps with functional strength.

13. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

MAKE ME PROUD :D

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

we need some macros of all the memes in this thread, stat.

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Shit how many weeks/months was it before it stopped bothering you?