Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jarude

jarude Senior member

toasty man you approach food like the typical dude who "wants to tone." if you are going to go for the "brad pitt in fight club" look which is what every guy looking for "tone" wants to look like, youre going to have to eat more and better foods. like theom said you have to actually build up an appreciable base of muscle before you should even think about recomping. you've been pretty open to advice thus far but as far as diet goes its really annoying hearing "but i eat homecooked meals" ad nauseum; if you want muscle and yes, tone, you are going to have to stop just eating whatever and justifying it with "well im making progress." sooner or later you're going to hit a wall and stop progressing and you wont have the dietary discipline and consistency to help you grind through. i wager you will quit lifting and magically find out you have some genetic reason as to why you cant build muscle. im not trying to be an asshole, im just relating my own personal experiences from when i was starting out. to be perfectly blunt you need to start dialing your diet in if you want this to be a long-term success.

your training is good, spbr is probably the best dumb-proof-stop-thinking-and-lift program for beginners out there. dont get me wrong, being consistent with a diet is damn hard and it wont happen overnight, so try and get into some habits. here are a few guidelines...

www.fitday.com. sign up and log it. this is a pain in the ass at first but will get easier.

protein: eat 40% of your daily calorie total from protein. 1g/lb of bodyweight is also a good guide; however in my experience this leads to just eating your protein and then not quantifying anything else. you should be getting at least 150g of protein every day. not some days, every day. you said you don't tolerate dairy, so stick with eggs, tuna/tilapia or other fish, beef, chicken, lean pork, casein

carbs: try and get 30% of your daily calorie total from complex, low-gi carbs. berries, apples, quinoa (awesome), brown rice, whole grain bread/pasta etc.

fats: try and get 30% of your daily calorie total poly/mono unsaturated fats. cheese, nuts, olive oil, advocado, natural peanut butter (awesome).. whatever.

these foods are just a suggestion. find stuff you like otherwise you will crash and burn. learn how to cook chicken, beef etc. and make it damn tasty otherwise you'll fall off. dont sacrifice quality of life; yeah you'll be eating different stuff but dont torture yourself or you will go nowhere.

now, some people will disagree with this, but this is to find a starting point for your daily calorie total: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. for example, a 5'11" male at 150lbs, it tells you your daily BMR is ~1700 cals. *1.6 for moderate activity = 2700. that means you will eat 2700 cals every day, 40% of which are protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. no, 2700 is not the magic number you will stick to forever: this is a starting point. you need to track your diet, see what happens at 2700 cals. from there, you can see if you are eating too much or too little.

this sounds like a lot of crap and effort but trust me, it gets easier. some people will chime in and say dont count calories, its all bullshit, blah blah, but to be perfectly honest you need to quantify your diet for some period of time before you can afford to wing it. im not saying stop eating "home-cooked meals" but for the love of all things good and holy please stop using that as your dietary justification.

either way, its up to you. if you want it, do it, if you dont, dont. i cant emphasize how important it is to put the work in when it comes to this. you'll get out what you put in; inconsistent dieting = inconsistent results. simple. not trying to be an asshole, i sincerely want you to kick ass at this.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Gettoasty, when you say that you are allergic to dairy, are you really allergic to dairy, or are you lactose intolerant? If it's the latter, you should have no problem with whey protein and Greek yogurt shouldn't be much of an issue. Actually, I'm not sure about this, but in either case whey protein may be okay.

Also, in one post you mentioned eating PB filled pretzels, but in your last post you have whole wheat bread underlined. Is there a reason why you cannot eat t he whole wheat bread, but you can eat the white flour in the pretzels?

Now that you'll be starting your job that means more money for groceries. If you cannot do dairy, I would highly recommend lots of seafood. Shrimps, fish fillets, and canned tuna are great lean proteins. Also, spend money on nuts. Pistachios are actually great in that they have less fat, more fiber, and have the same levels of proteins as other nuts. If you have a Costco membership, nuts are actually a very affordable consistent protein source. Finally, make sure to remove as much white flour from your diet as possible.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

the point of eating nuts is to get the good fats though

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Great advice so far Jarude. Only thing I'd nitpick from your post is replacing peanut butter with almond butter.

Almond butter doesn't get much love around here...

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I understand what you're saying, but I just like to mention pistachios for those who might be looking for a food with a higher protein to fat ratio.

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Carb source isn't really important, nor is GI.

Nothing wrong with saturated fats, your body needs em.

This, definitely. Once you get your kcal/macro requirements go to the store and construct your diet based around those and those alone. Don't limit yourself to stuff like baked chicken if you don't want to; if it fits your macros, you're good. This is a lifestyle change, after all.

Getting your kcals/macros calc'd and your diet constructed is the hardest part, the rest of the time you're just on auto-pilot and just have to make sure you cook your food and show up to the gym.

Almond butter is delicious.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Look, it doesn't matter that you are not lean, you are still a tiny person. 150lb at like 5'8" or whatever you said means your pretty small. Get to like 170lb and then cut down. At 140lb you won't look like bruce lee or tyler durdan you'll look like a little starved chinese child. Get to like 315 on the dead and at least 225lb on the squat and then cut down. Even at like 110lb bruce lee could still probably squat like triple body weight, his physique wasn't built by starving himself down to 8% bf without putting muscle on. I hate the tyler durdan/ I just want to be toned not big, bum rape fest. You can still put on weight without dairy products, if your still worried about whey you can get casein protein and just eat pounds of chicken breast and fish.

Unrelated note my gym started their first cross fit class today. Tonnes of middle aged house wives and fat balding guys putting 10kg sand bags over there head and doing box jumps interspaced with rowing and kettle balls swings listening to real old dance music in a gym full of power lifters and MMA fighters.

8. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

haha gross. I hate seeing those old fat dudes with trainers that come in for like 2 weeks and the trainers have them doing some ridiculously stupid shit, then I never see again. I also saw this guy deadlifting on a bosu ball last night WTF.

9. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The secret is quite simple.. eat quickly. The faster you eat, the more you'll be able to cram down before your stomach sends a signal to your brain that its full.

And if you're eating hard enough, you WILL puke here and there. There have been countless times when I was gaining from 120 to 195 where I've puked in my mouth and swallowed it back down, and then proceeded to finish the rest of my food.

You've got to want it bad enough.

I just kept thinking "the food in front of me is what's standing in the way of me and my goals."

Oh, and do that shake more than once during the day too, if you can't seem to get enough solid food down.

10. demeis

demeis Senior member

Jarude has great advice toasty. Tracking calories is key. I used fitday for most of my calorie tracking. You will get to a point where you don't have to but it's good to know what your eating and how much your eating. I always see guys say they eat a ton of food. I was like them when I started lifting on and off for my first 6 years. Never got past 160lbs and it was because I thought I ate a lot when I didn't. However you feel you ate a lot but when you put it all down most of the time you aren't eating nearly enough. Especially guys who are skinny cause they feel full they think they ate a lot. One thing to add is I find stick to a calorie number for a week or two. If your weight is going up slightly you are eating above maintenance and you should keep eating that amount. If you find you are stalling in weight gain add another 500 calories. If you are losing weight add another 750-1000. I also recommend eating bigger meals throughout the day. People say eat 6-8 times but when you eating 6-8 smaller meals your metabolism speeds up. You don't want this you. 4 large meals is much more adequate for you.

Also it is winter. You can put a little fat on and you will if you are bulking. There is not way around it. Don't worry about it once you build a nice base of muscle you can cut in the spring.

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Its way more functional bra, works your stabilizers and core hard. I train for real functional strength not size like weak body builders or power lifters who are too pussy to deadlift off a curved, unstable surface.

12. mrchariybrown

Sound advice except the part about meal frequency. Eat 2 meals, eat 12 meals. That doesn't matter whatsoever. It's the macros and total calories matter.

13. mrchariybrown

Hahahaha

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

disagree with the carb source thing; if you're saying theres no difference between eating say white bread and quinoa then i def don't agree with it. something about a study where people ate below maintenance on a nearly pure sugar diet and still managed to lose weight yet get fatter in the process. not that this is my only justification; ever since i started paying attention to what carbs i was taking in i have noticed how much of an effect "bad" carbs have on me. if you're going through all the trouble to actually diet then you may as well keep your sources healthy. just wondering, why do you say so?

and youre right about the saturated, meant to put that in but forgot.

as far as peanut butter goes, just make sure its the natural stuff. tbh ive never tried almond butter but i love almonds so i should try it.

15. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

:uhoh: