Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Recomping is just eating better, but not necessarily eating less. Also just read your previous comment about how you would have put on size if you took supplements. People focus on them too much, they're a tiny percentage of what is necessary to get bigger or stronger, people talk about them like they're everything and if you take JACK3D or some NOS thing and creatine your gonna get huge easily.

2. demeis

demeis Senior member

I agree with the second part of this. Supplements don't do much if anything (I am very anti supplements for the most part). In my opinion they add a psychological edge for some people but little else. Maybe some energy from all the 1,3 dymeth and caffeine.

However recomping is more than just eating better (but I guess essentially it is eating better). It would require more work on your part though. Like I read in your previous post your not following a strict diet. Recomping would require you to be much stricter about what your putting into your body. Basically you eat at a surplus on your workout days (300-400 calories) and a slight deficit on your off days (300 or so calories). It is a much slower process but one I feel is often over looked. There are many different variants and some people will do carb cycling or eat just below maintenance. Just search for recomp diet and start reading and see if it appeals to you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. APK

APK Senior member

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

fwiw recomping would be good for someone who has experience dieting and sticking with it. i cant really qualify this but something else i've hear is that is that recomping is far more effective if you have more muscle mass to begin with. also, when i "started" recomping it was the perfect excuse to bulk one day, cut the next, recomp the day after that.

i guess what im trying to say is the last thing toasty needs is to overthink his diet; its really easy to get information overload and bounce from one thing to the next. eat food man, you're 140 lbs.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I just wanted to open some discussion and learn some more. Seems like I am over thinking.

Actually 150lbs currently, fluxuating between 145-150. But am highly considering dropping down to 140...but getting into recomping I may not have to drop that much. My diet currently is sort of a self-contrived recomp as I do notice gym days I eat more during the day, and off days I eat less.

The SPBR routine you all suggested has worked fine and am happy with my progressive so far. :satisfied:

6. demeis

demeis Senior member

I agree with you there. I think recomp would be good for almost anyone who has some experience. It was a bit of a roller coaster when I did it but I found it much easier mentally for me to recomp than to cut simply because I felt like I was losing so much muscle cutting. As far as overthinking it goes I think it is a good thing. I lifted on and off for years and could never break 160lbs until I finally got serious and started to think about my diet. I really started to understand how food works and how it work in conjunction with my body and muscle building. I still do believe a recomp would be more affective as he will be able to build some muscle, but if he cuts he won't be buliding any muscle and will probably be doing the opposite.

But I digress. I believe I have gotten ahead of myself or may have missed it in reading through these posts as there is several topics going on.

Toasty what are your goals? I just read you were thinking about cutting but wanted to be stronger. I am correct that this is your goal? Or have I misread somewhere.

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not everyone.. but some some people are overthinking their diet way too much.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I am on the thin side, and starting the "Strength Power Beginner Routine" since a month ago, my strength has increased more than ever (compared to my prior gym experience in the past). Since I am fairly thin, I am also seeing some definitions in my upper body.

At first I thought about cutting all the way down to 140lb to see more definition/tone, but the recomp may be a better route. And when I say cutting, I just meant adding back cardio 2-3 times a week to my routine. My diet will stay unchanged.

Goals: Lift heavier and have a leaner physique. And if I can stay at 150lb but be more toned (so essentially cutting the fat and putting in muscle) the better.

So here is a sample of my diet from today:

Sandwich with humus and ham (good portion I would say)
    Snacked on peanut butter filled pretzels
    A lot of water
    Currently i have been very hungry since 5ish? So I got some rice crackers, the asian mix, and snacking on that.

Dinner will either be porkchop + rice or noodles.

Squatting tonight

edit: cross-post from random fashion thought, dudes talking health too lol

i feel like i am on the latter side. i consider myself pretty agile and the strength is coming along, i enjoy sports like basketball. i dont have the potential of getting mass as i feel i am naturally skinny.

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

to be completely honest "toning" is bullshit at your body weight and strength level. You will get absolutely nothing out of doing a body mass recomposition. you need to build a better base of just total muscle before you even think about recomping.

dude just listen to what everyone else is telling you. You definitely did not eat enough today and you were just eating processed food. Your diet is too low in protein and unsaturated fats.

EDIT:

Okay so i realize that it isn't helpful tell you you are doing everything wrong, without giving examples of what should you be doing.

Here's an example of what your diet should look like:

Breakfast: 1 cup of greek yogurt, 1 orange, handful of almonds, hard boiled egg.

Lunch: 1 can of tuna, two slices of whole wheat bread, spinach, an avocado

Pre/post workout: Whey protein, milk, a piece of fruit, and a handful of almonds.

Dinner: 2 chicken breasts w/ olive oil, steamed broccoli, brown rice or quinoa, salad.

Should be about 3000 calories, maybe a bit more. around 170 g of protein, a shit ton of fiber, not too many carbs, lots of good fats.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That is not a lot of food - not only to mass up, but to just subsist on. You're going to need a serious influx of protein to build muscle and from there "tone." If you have nothing on your body to start with, you're not going to lean out to anything except "somali victim"

11. sonick

sonick Senior member

[​IMG]

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

jesus spoiler that shit

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I'll fucking reiterate this just for clarity - downing protein shakes or taking 'supplements' is not what builds mass (unless we're talking real AAS, which knowing you , I do not think we are). Eating more is what puts on the muscle.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

How'd you skinny guys go from skinny to beast mode? (Lookin' at you, Charly!) I feel full easily and feel like I'm going to hurl when I eat past satiation.

Example: double double meal from in n out. I can eat it all, but by the last 2 or 3 bites on the burger I'm completely content without even touching the fries. Eat it all and I could throw up walking back to the car too quickly.
    Only way to get past the discomfort is just quit being a bitch and stuff all the time? Even when I was 15 pounds heavier I couldn't get past it. I found liquid way easier to handle, so I'd do a daily protein mix of about 700 calories before bed. (whey, milk, peanut butter, cup of oats, some honey)

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I appreciate the concern, but I assure you I am not starving lol. Today's example was a shitty one ha

Thank you for that example:

So I cannot process dairy, what should i replace the underlined with? Everything else I eat, just not daily i.e. strict diet. FYI, I have eaten all the above at one point, but I get extremely bloated so those are out.

BRO I AM NOT THAT SKINNY :LOL: and please spoil that haha. And I keep mentioning protein shakes because I think it is a crutch, a very good one at that. But it is true, my bro does eat A LOT more than I do, and he has no dairy allergies.

And I am going to be completely honest here, some transparency since I am getting help from you dudes, but ever since graduating I have been spoiled with homecooked meals for the most part. I will start cooking again :embar:

btw i am also going to start working a job next week, so this can either be a good thing and i'll start planning my meals accordingly, or it will all go down hill as my schedule will be totally whack till i get accustomed to it. no more waking up at noon!