Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. demeis

demeis Senior member

Adding weight when you get to a certain point is fine if you want to push yourself. However don't make the mistake of sacrificing form. I can't tell you how hard I laugh at the guys in my gym who pretend to get stronger by adding more weight when the really shouldn't. Example. Guys doing deadlifts this morning. They were doing more weight than they should but they want to think they are strong. There form sucked. Back was curling over as well as each rep was bounced off the floor. These are the same guys who do "curtsy" squats. Where they have 3 plates on the bar and go down about 4 inches, grunt and go back up. Just don't be those guys in your weight progression.

Other than that find what works for you. It is mostly a mental game anyhow. So if you barely get your last rep in why not try next week for a little more. If you don't get it don't worry you tried. Maybe next week you will. If you want to wait a bit longer before trying again great. Maybe add another rep in and have your buddy, if you have one, help you squeeze it out. Sometimes you think you can't get one more by yourself and then all of a sudden you do and you have no idea how but you feel great. So just push a little harder and the progress will come.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm sure it's just water from not sweating due to not working out. The morning cardio will help you lose that water weight everyday if you're feeling self-conscious :)

Side note, I'm thinking about throwing in another cheat day on Wednesdays with about 8000 calories.

So it'd be a total of 3 cheat days and 4 clean days every week.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Thanks for all the input, fellas.

4. virus646

virus646 Senior member

IMO there's certain time when you don't need to be as strict. 1 rep max comes to mind. If it's really a true 1 rep max, I can't see having a perfect form on a dead lift for example (I'm not talking about letting your lower back go wild and getting hurt in the process).

5. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Didn't you mention that your other cheat days are something along the lines of 13k calories for each of those two days?

What in the hell do you eat (details please)?

It's literally a struggle to get my 3k down. :embar:

6. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Proper form isn't just about preventing injury; it's also about hitting the intended muscle groups. If you're doing a 1rm and have poor form, then that's not a true 1rm because you're not hitting the correct muscle groups (for example, using your momentum to do a barbell row at 160lbs isn't a true 1rm when you can only do 140 1rm with proper form).

That's called cheating.

7. mrchariybrown

Yep, I eat about 13-15k on weekends.

Things I eat:
    - Burgers
    - Chinese food take out
    - Pizza
    - Fried thingzzz
    - Cookies
    - You name it

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

So when people do a bench press 1rm in an equipped competition and they're barely using any chest at all thats not a 1rm? When I do a deadlift 1rm and probably use more back then I should be im not doing a 1rm? I understand with a row because they're easy to cheat with even without maximal loads just because of the exercise, but I wouldn't say theres really anyway to cheat a deadlift 1rm other then hitching.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

How do you handle that without gaining fat???

I do my 1rm the same way I lift normally for consistency, so I don't think it's a true 1rm doing it differently.

10. mrchariybrown

I wish I knew.

I've been trying to gain weight like this for the past 2+ months and the scale hasn't moved :( :( :(

Which is why I think I need to add in another cheat day.

Super frustrating.

11. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Bench press is getting really hard at 52.5kg, probably got one more 5lb progression in me before i stall. Squat is 75kg, getting very hard but should be able to keep adding. I've gained about 6-7lb bodyweight in 3.5 weeks, so was hoping bench wouldnt feel so heavy this early. I could barely bench 20kg when i first started lifting, so i guess im genetically pretty weak.

12. mrchariybrown

:brick:

13. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

...too little or too much?

14. mrchariybrown

No, not that at all. Refer to my previous post about my current frustration.

15. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You can say that when you have a good decade or two of real training under your belt. Before that there's no way you're pushing your 'genetic' potential wrt strength. Also, pressing mechanics have a lot to do with your body proportions.. if you're a tall, spindly dude with long arms, you might not be the GOAT at the bench press. Doesn't still mean you can't get to decent poundages in the lift, it just means that there are people out there with better mechanics for it.