Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

So i should just pickup some multi-vitman and fish oil at my local costco? those are the only 2 that i agree upon in terms of my sensitive diet.

any recommendations/brands?

2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Higher carb diets tend towards comparatively higher levels of water retention, though not necessarily high. Everyone's different. Plus, this water tends to be stored in the muscle (same with creatine, apparently), though I thought I looked noticeably less flabby after dropping weight from going off creatine.

Get whatever and take them. Don't overthink it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

3. APK

APK Senior member

Fish oil, I just get whatever is on sale that week. The place I go usually has a B1G1 free sale going on with that stuff, so it's not uncommon for me to get a couple hundred caps for like $9.

Multi-vitamin, I use one from NOW. Inexpensive and people seem to have good things to say about it.

Graphic Novelty:

How did they diagnose your disc issue last year? Was it a constant pain or sporadic? What was recovery time like?

I've thought my lower back issue was something like that, but feel that so long as I have trigger points in the glutes and obliques, I can't rule out that my chronic soreness is a result of trigger points.

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

I've heard good things about the Costco Kirkland brand of supplements in general so your best bet is to go with those.

When I was taking Fish Oil supplement, based on glowing reviews here I went with Carlson.

I've since stopped taking Fish Oil supplements since I started to eat tuna/salmon 5 days a week. Easy way to get 25g + protein

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sorry to break up the creatine circle jerk but I need a serious opinion on this:

I've just found out that I've got to take 5 days off starting the 24th. No working out/no sweating/no nothing. Basically, I have to sit on my ass. Now, this normally wouldn't be an issue, but I've just got done taking 2 weeks off because of a strained muscle in my lower back. Now, I was planning on jumping back in tonight but I'm having a second guess, mostly due to the fact that my back isn't healed completely and I'm going to have to stop everything again in 10 days. What do you guys think I should do? Start back now and then take those days off, or keep resting and start back up when I'm done with my thing?

6. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'd just take the time off to completely heal. Training is awesome and everything but it's not "everything."

You'll come back fresher and you'll feel strong with everything completely fixed up.

Training with intensity is important but not as much as training smart.

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I have a quick question on progressing on weights.

Do I want increase the weight when I become comfortable pushing my current number, or do I move up as soon as I crank out the bare minimum of what I'm shooting for?

For example, currently in my squats, 3x5. When I am barely able to hit that fifth one on the third set (as in, dying and form goes out the window barely), do I increase the weight on next squat day, or do I wait another session, maybe two until I can push the current number more easily and then increase?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

8. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Either way is fine. I like to increase once I hit it.

9. Khayembii Communique

Rest. Watch your diet for the 5 days, then get back to it.

I'm currently doing 3 sets per lift, all to failure. If I hit my rep requirement on the first set then I weight up next time I lift.

Weight up, go until you can hit 5, then weight up again. This way is quantifiable, "wait[ing]...until [you] can push the current number more easily" is not.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Blerg. I've already gained like 5 pounds and I feel like a fat mofo. Well, fatter than I normally feel. Plus, since I stopped the creatine, I'm deflating like a balloon. I might start doing morning cardio.

11. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Waiting till you can hit X reps with strict (or whatever you define as strict) form is fine/objective too

12. Khayembii Communique

Your form should always be strict.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

disagree with this, though it depends on the context of what lift i am trying to increase. if i squeaked through my main lift but crushed all of my assistance in good form i'll push it, if everything sucked i'll hold up.

if i felt shaky or just barely made it through last time i'll have no issues repeating the same weight as last time while focusing on what sucked (ie. got folded over in the squat, focus on keeping chest up) and progressing in a different way - shorter rest periods, for example. i especially dont mind this if i'm milking linear progression; 5lb a week is pretty aggressive in the long term so being conservative and repeating the odd week guarantees steady gains and good form.

that being said it took me awhile to find out the difference between pussing out, failure, and "good enough." many times i've felt a lift was bullshit until i saw it on video and it looked decent.

14. Khayembii Communique

"Barely making it through" (i.e. making it through with good form, but pushing the hell out of the last rep) is enough for me to weight up, I'd rather struggle to get the higher weight and push myself that much harder than stay where I'm at, but that sort of goes with my lifting prog. I do 3 sets to failure, but each set is weighted down by a weight of 10% of the first set (100, 90, 80 for example), and try to hit 10 on my first set, if I hit it I'll still go to failure, but I'll weight up next time until I can't hit the 10. All sets to failure.

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I'm no pro but also agree with weighting up. You might just barely make it and then the next workout just destroy the extra +5. A lot of it comes down to eating well and resting well.

If I miss a ton of sleep and miss 1 rep, often times I'll still weight up for the next session knowing the cause of the misstep.