Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Interesting find, but why coconut water? Wouldn't a banana suffice?

The crazy ass supps available for str / bb training blow my mind but creatine both seems to work for me and has the data to suggest it has some value. I buy powder and mix a mundane dose in a cup of hot water to fully dissolve it.

2. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Sure, but coconut water has about 3x as much as a banana. And I hate bananas.

Plus I don't have to deal with water retention like I did on creatine. Dropped about 4 lbs after I got off creatine.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

seriously, the amount of time, effort, and money people spend on supps which probably only comprise 5% of the total training equation for most people is amazing. im having much more success busting my ass and eating properly than i ever was when i was blowing my money on supps.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't know why my gym attracts such retards. When your over head pressing 12kg dumbbells for your work sets you do not need to run around in a tiny little circle as your pressing. Guy must have been like 19 or something, I also found it really weird he was wearing inzer wraps on his wrists and elbows, shits expensive. Don't even know where he bought them in the UK. He was wearing jeans and a polo though so its not like he even cared about his workout clothes.

5. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I've had really great experiences with creatine. It makes me look a lot better when i take it--my upper body is bigger, my waist is leaner, and i'm alltogether more defined.

But then again I used the GNC Brand Creatine Mono, which isn't what you'd call expensive.

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just got my order from my protein today. Got cookies and cream impact whey, I think its like 12 quid a kilo. Tastes really good mixed with water, just like coconut milk.

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

I really don't want to use monohydrate as I'm not looking for the excess water weight or size. I would like to use creatine for the atp benefits however. A lttle bloating is alright, but putting on 2-4 pounds during the loading phase is not.

Has anyone here had experience with the creatine hcl or creatine ethyl ester?

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Don't load then. You're just pissing away your money (literally) with anything other than mono.

9. demeis

demeis Senior member

CEE is just over priced creatine and is not as effective. There are lots of studies out there that talk about this. I'm to lazy to find them but google it and I'm sure you can find some more. As for bloating I really believe that diet has everything to do with bloating and little to do with creatine, while yes I know it causes water retention my weight does little to change as well as how bloated I feel/look. However sodium turns me into the state puff marshmellow man. I used to take creatine and honestly I can't tell any difference when on and off. I have read the studies but honestly if I can't see the results or feel the results i'm just pissing money away. Again this is only true for me as others say it works. Also for loading no one loads anymore. If you're going to take it just do 5g a day and your fine as you just need to maintain once you reach saturation. If your looking to blow a lot of money on creatine you could look at COP. I haven't had a chance to try this so I can't comment but would be interested to hear if you did end up taking it.

Have you ever taken creatine? If not just curious as to why you think monohydrate makes you bloated?

10. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

I've never taken creatine which is why I'm asking. I do know that people react differently to it and some see noticeable change in size, while others see none. Some things I read say 2-4 lbs on water in the first few weeks. Any one I've ever talked to who used it says that they've gained size while using it and lost that when they stopped.

As far as I know about creatine increasing strength, its just that the extra mass in the muscle from the water retention causes can help with some strength.

The main reason I want to use it is the added effect of faster ATP synthesis just to help me get through my practice. I don't want to gain mass just from having to take some supplement consistently.

I'll probably just end up using nothing.

12. demeis

demeis Senior member

Honestly give it a try. I would start at monohydrate cause it's the most proven as well as being the cheapest. If it bloats you up just stop and you haven't wasted much money. But again I really think people who experience bloating don't have their diet down. Then they throw in some creatine and it emphasizes there high sodium and/or carbohydrate diet that causes water retention. If you're already eating clean which it sounds like you are you probably won't experience bloating. Everyone is different give it a try and see how it goes you can always stop.

13. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Meh, last time I tested 1RM deadlift I pulled 485lb raw.... and I've never used any supplement or even protein powder in my life. Not even multivitamins or omega-3s.

Real food FTW. Chemical supps are a waste of money, unless you're competing and NEED that last little edge.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

high carb diets cause bloating.. yeah, right. Apropos, ever since I added a shitload of carbs to my diet I've never had any water retention issues or puffiness or shit like that.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

15. APK

APK Senior member

I've tried a lot of supps over the years, but here are the only ones that have stuck:

- Fish oil: I don't eat fish more than once a week, so I find this a good way to get in those good fats. There's also an absurdly long list of benefits that should appeal to everyone, not just lifters.
    - Whey: I like to take a couple of scoops following a lift session, though I long ago dumped the simple carbs such as Gatorade powder. I don't make whey the cornerstone of my diet, but find it necessary if I want to hit my daily protein goal.
    - Multi-vitamin
    - ZMA (or zinc + magnesium separately): Before bed for improved sleep quality.

Other than those, BCAA's are the only other supp I would add if money weren't an issue. I never seemed to respond to creatine.