Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

So I'm certain I'm not doing overhead press properly. I started starting strength recently (pretty much in line with several others in this thread...) and I'm currently on week two.

To start off, I do a proper warmup before lifting. I row for about 10 minutes at various speeds as well as jump rope for about 5 minutes before starting routine. And before I do an lifts that engages the shoulders quite a bit (so bench press/military press), I warm up the rotator cuffs with little 2.5 or 5 lb plates doing various exercises. My point is... I generally take precaution before lifting.

So why is that when I get to my working sets for overhead press, my left arm just gives out? It was really frustrating today. I know it's hard to say without looking at my form, but the problem occurs as I'm bringing the bar down to the chest area... that's when my left shoulder seems to give out (especially odd since I've had problems with right shoulder in past, never left).

From past experience, any reason why this might be? FWIW, I don't really stick my chest out as much during press, could this be the reason?

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

3. Mandrake9072

:fu: I was expecting this answer.

I'll be pressing again Friday and if I have the same problem then, I definitely will have to.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

its hard to see whats wrong if we cant see whats going on. fwiw, taking videos of your lifts can help a hell of a lot even if you dont post them on the internet - ever since i started taping lifts i would see stuff after that i wouldnt even notice when i was lifting.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Mandrake9072

How do you record your lifts? By strategically placing your camera phone somewhere?

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I ask someone to do it for me

7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I prop my phone up and record it. Magic.

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

Fuji,

Deadlift assistance, pick one of each category.

1:
    Power clean
    High Pull
    *Power snatch
    *Front squat with crazy plates (hang plates from resistance bands off of collars)

2:
    Weighted decline sit ups
    * Heavy turkish get-ups
    Weighted Hyper extension

3:
    *RDL
    glute ham raises
    stiff-legged DL
    Good morning
    Deficit DL or Rack Pull

I starred the ones that I like.

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

Also I need rec's for supplements:

What type of creatine should I do? I'd like to stay away from monohydrate, as I'm not a body builder and I'd like to stay as lean as possible because I like my clothes. So its either Creatine ethyl ester
    Creatine HCL or Kre-alkalyn.

Need some recs on brands, preferably as far away from the crazy roided up packaging and shit I see at like GNC.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I'm not on the creatine bandwagon, but from what I gather from my friends' experience there's pretty much no difference whatsoever between your run-of-the-mill cheap-ass mono and the more pricier ones. Solubility might be better but that's something I wouldn't pay the mark-up for.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I can bench 3x5 135lbs decent now after a good month. Going to work on this weight and add slowly.

Shoulder press dumbbell also advancing slowly, 30lb,30lb,35lb

Incline bench was decent at 115,115,115,125 and followed by 40lb dumbbell later on.

Improvement since a month ago on the SPBR route.

In my previous years of lifting, I never even hit 115 on bench. Always staggered on 95lb. I am content for the time, but currently I am also hitting the gym pretty religiously compared to having to go to class/study during school.

I guess one point to make is that anyone can really make improvements if they can dedicate a part of their busy life to lifting weights, 1-2hr at most.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  12. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Consistency is absolutely key in getting the results one is after. As for being busy, I see it as just another dynamic optimization problem - shave some off from other activities (video games, TV, etc.) to put in an hour at the weight room.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  13. fuji

fuji Senior member

You do 3 assistance lifts? I only usually do one.

14. demeis

demeis Senior member

As a power lifter I really feel supplements are over used in the fitness community. I have tried many different supps over my two year span of training and this is what I found works and is worth money. The rest were just companies that offered something they couldn't deliver except for making my wallet lighter.

My supps are as follows

Whey Protein - for after your workout. Don't use it to replace real food unless you're on a cut.
    Multi-vitamin - everyone should be taking one any how.
    Flax Seed Oil - a bit healthier than fish oil but can use Fish Oil as well.

I really believe anything else is a waste IMO. Creatine does bloat some guys up but monohydrate is the way to go as it's the cheapest. Creapure is supposed to be the best monohydrate but honestly when I've taken it I've noticed such a small benefit that it just isn't worth it to me. So avoid all the expensive stuff you see where people say it's so much better blah blah blah blah blah. Just eat right and train hard and you will see some improvements.

15. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

I've found increasing my potassium intake by having a glass of coconut water every day gives the same effect WRT muscle recovery.