Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

If I recall your pretty strong so just use this website

www.strstd.com

to make your 5/3/1 routine and then choose whatever template you want.

2. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Rambo, I know you like your long workouts. So maybe the 5/3/1 with the body builder assistance work will fit the bill. Has all the main compounds with plenty of isolation work.

3. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Heavy overhead squats work your abs like nothing else. Don't know about the high pulls helping your dead, as in the O's the 1st pull is only a positioning effort to place the bar for an optimal 2nd pull.

Then again, it's your program, so do whatever the fuck you want.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Yeah im not gonna do the high pulls, your right no point really. Might do over head squats for my deadlift assistance, they feel really good. I can't go that heavy on them yet.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So it seems 5/3/1 is the consensus. Can someone break the program down for me? Links/info/etc.? Thanks.

6. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

back all swole :slayer: big traps pump is the best, makes you feel all alpha and stuff.

8. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

No knee pain from yesterdays squats, used a slightly narrower stance, less of a foot angle, seemed to work.

I have to start going away again for work, firstly for 2 weeks, then back for 2, then im away for whole months at a time, although i come home friday afternoons and go again monday morning. I stay at a hotel that has a shit gym, no olympic bars, basically just dumbbells (up to 50lb) an EZ curl bar, and a few machines. Im gonna try and workout monday and friday at home, or maybe friday and sunday, but that still means one of my workouts falls when im at the hotel. Is there anything useful i can do to contribute to/not interfere with starting strength while im away? If i dont workout midweek then i wont be able to keep the bulking diet all week either as there will be like a 5 day gap between workouts.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

If I was in that position (i.e. out of town, no access to an actual gym) I'd just not lift, miss one work out, lower your cals for that time period, and then start off at the same weight when you get back (i.e. don't weight up).

10. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Depending on where you are this might work: If you have a car find a gym near your hotel for a trial workout.

Think my +44 lb deadlift adventure cost me a slipped disk. Intense pain right where my spine meets my pelvis on my right side when i sit in a soft chair for an extended period of time (this happened the last time i slipped a disk on Halloween last year). Anti-inflammatory stuff like tiger balm helps, so i think the bulging is just causing inflammation. Sitting with my wallet in my back pocket helps too (i think it relieves pressure on that side).

Still, i'm anxious. Calling up the orthopedist tomorrow (f'n Columbus day).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

11. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

dont know why i didnt think of that......I just found a grimey powerlifting gym within 10 minute drive, £5 per session. Thats my midweek workout sorted.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

Do you belt your deads? Never had any back problems since I started using a belt on my working sets and my last warm up set.

With 50lb dumbbells you can probably dumbbell bench, dumbbell press and do lunges. Maybe rows too.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Godddamn, back injuries are like the fucking worst. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a disc herniation. feelsbadman.jpg

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I always belt too. But I had put 25 kg's instead of 20's on my last DL day and that extra 44 lbs probably did me in, belt or no. I was also sick that day, which added to the issues.

Though re-reading on belt stuff I should've probably tightened up the belt. Live and learn.

Apparently i herniated my disc when this happened. I took 6 weeks off and just did an push/pull without squats and deads for a while. I'll talk to the doc ASAP and see what he says; who knows, it might be a good time to get my running game up.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

sucks GN. hope it isnt anything serious, like trh said back injuries have got to be the worst.

speaking of back injuries i just moved my gym into the shop from the barn, so after i did my deadlift workout i packed everything up, loaded ~140lbs of plates on my sled and pulled it. uh yeah bad idea after deadlift day; def tweaked my lower back. so stupid.