Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Enjoying SS but i find a problem with it is that you dont really have time to learn form properly. I've been doing everything except the squat for 6 months ish, so im not as much of a novice as SS is often aimed at, but its still not easy. You're adding weight every workout so you dont have time to stop and analyse form. Squats are leaving me with knee pain, but i cant see anything obvious in my form, having studied all the SS material, dvds etc. Pushing the knees out to the side, sitting back, and using hip drive out of the hole. Im not struggling too much with the weight, but something must be wrong. Also very difficult to stop my lower back tucking down at the bottom of the squat especially if i go a little too low. Dont really know how to correct these things or have time, as im controlling the squat the best that i can and im supposed to just keep adding on the 5lb each day.

2. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

If you feel pain, don't keep adding weight. It's not worth it to keep lifting with improper form and end up herniating a disk, inflaming/irritating your patellofemoral joint, etc etc. Step back with the weight for a few days, try to nail down your form (record yourself and watch it later if unsure), and then continue with the program.

I say this as someone who has suffered knee problems that squatting exacerbated because I was pushing too hard at the time.

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

:slayer: Good to hear, always nice to have more people in the Snatch Fan Club.

Today when working on snatches, I got up to my 185lb mark that I've had trouble hitting lately because I've not been 100% confident in my pulls. So I told myself enough is enough, don't be fucking bitch, and get deep under the bar no matter what. Who cares if I have to dump it, just get under on every try. So then I said a prayer and proceeded to crank out 3 reps at a weight I hadn't been able to hit for a couple weeks. Felt great.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

:rimshot:

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

AS STYLE FORUM'S RESIDENT SNATCH EXPERT, IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT YOUR FAN CLUB MIGHT BE MISLABELED. PLEASE ATTEND TO THIS IMMEDIATELY.

SINCERELY,

MANAGEMENT

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

There is a pull-up bar.

No free weights. There are dumbbells (only up to 50 lbs.) and benches.

7. virus646

virus646 Senior member

:nodding:

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ok, well that's a start. With those, you've got:

dumbbell squats (which I'm not a fan of)
    dumbbell lunges
    dumbbell overhead squats
    dumbbell deadlifts (again, not that much of a fan)
    dumbbell romanian deadlifts (BIG FAN)
    dumbbell split squats

combined with bodyweight exercies and those machines you could knock out some killer workouts there.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Also, JFG posterior pelvic tilt. If you're not stretching out the hamstrings, it can very well be a flexibility issue.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Heard Louie Simmons voice for the first time today. Very much did not expect him to sound like he does. Also wasn't aware he was on gear.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Thanks, Rambo! IYO, which machines will give the biggest bang for the buck? Right now, I do a Stronglifts-esque routine using the chest press, lat pull down, overhead press, leg press, row, and back. Any glaring omissions?

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

take videos already. best thing i found about ss was the ability to squat all the time and constantly evaluate your form. i know you're supposed to go up 5lbs at a time but if you're hurting yourself and you can directly correlate that to squatting then dial it back a bit. seriously, take vids. side angle, 3/4 angle, everything if the squat is giving you that much trouble.

FWIW it took me a damn long time to get comfortable with my squat form and i still question it sometimes.

bands, get bands. bands are awesome. http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com if you only have DBs these open up a lot of new options. ive only been using them for about a month now, but they are great for assistance work and adding difficulty to bigger lifts. working up to a full-depth 1 legged bodyweight squat is good way to bust your butt too.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, I'm an advocate of constantly switching things up. Different angles, grips, techniques, etc. You need core and assistance work in there as well. At least, I think you do.:hide:

14. fuji

fuji Senior member

All of those are perfectly acceptable lifts, but he only has 50lb dumbbells to do them with, which makes pretty much only the lunge and overhead squat really viable for after a couple months at most of training.

BBB on squats might even be harder then BBB on deads.

The 5x10 50% was pretty hard followed by 5x10 good mornings super stetted with back extensions.

Saw quite possibly the most dangerous thing I've ever seen at the gym today. Some guy doing a barbell leg press without any spotters. If the bar rolled off his feet he easily could have died.

15. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Pissed off with a personal trainer at my gym. He's about 6' and 210lb at a guess. Absolutley ripped so im guessing he's on gear. Comes over after my first set of squats and says really loudly "your gonna hurt yourself, your form is terrible." Trying to intimidate me infront of the packed gym, why not just say it quietly? He then goes on to tell me my feet are too far apart, im going too low, and my feet are pointing outwards which "will cause an injury." Apparently i should put on light weight and do 15 reps as "you will still gain size that way." I listen to him then when he walks off finish my sets ignoring his advice. He then confronts me when i go to the bench press, saying why did i ignore his advice, and that my feet should be close together and pointing straight forward as this would work my overall body more.

I realise my form isnt perfect, and would be willing to take advice from someone who actually knows how to squat. However i have the biggest squat ive seen performed in the gym so far at 70kg! If someone can squat 100kg+ with good form then i`ll listen. How did this total douche even manage to get massive if he thinks thats how you squat? I dont really have much of a comeback as im still skinny and obviously everyone assumes he's right and im wrong and i should listen. I dont really have any proof that my way is right, because i have no results (yet.) How am i supposed to deal with this retard without coming off as an asshole myself.