1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Well-Known Member

Anyone have that chart of what you should be lifting at each particular weight for the compound lifts? It was broken down into like... average man, 1 year of weight training, pro, or something like that.

Weightlifting Performance Standards

2. Rikkar501

Rikkar501 Senior member

I'm actually a little surprised by that chart. According to the benchmarks I'm well over the intermediate level for all the lifts for my weight, but it just doesn't feel like I've reached that level. I guess I'm just never satisfied and that's a good thing right?

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I'm actually a little surprised by that chart. According to the benchmarks I'm well over the intermediate level for all the lifts for my weight, but it just doesn't feel like I've reached that level. I guess I'm just never satisfied and that's a good thing right?

Agreed. It seems like it's a feel good chart. I've only been weight training for 8 months and I'm close to or am repping at the intermediate level.

4. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

^agreed that chart is really easy. I pressed at "advanced" in only a year and a half or so.

5. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Yeah, the advanced/elite ratings are set too low, and press numbers are just waaay too low. Would make more sense as a 5 RM effort tho.

6. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Agreed. It seems like it's a feel good chart. I've only been weight training for 8 months and I'm close to or am repping at the intermediate level.

ummm that puts you right where you're meant to be, according to the chart. "up to 2 years". Obviously the further to the end of 2 years, the closer to advanced you'd be.

7. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Pennglock, that was an awesome clip. MAD strength there.

Also reporting a new PR for deads, pulled 330lb for a heavy double, I'm pretty happy - now I'm at more than twice my bw on deads and then some.

8. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

ummm that puts you right where you're meant to be, according to the chart. "up to 2 years". Obviously the further to the end of 2 years, the closer to advanced you'd be.

Novice

A person training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the demands of vigorous recreational activities.

at ONE RM.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

Shit, Wesley died. THE ironaddict of ironaddicts.com.

RIP Wes [​IMG] the king of no-nonsense, no bullshit weight training advice. The world will be a much shittier place without you.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Finally joined a gym so I can stop lifting at home and start doing squats. I don't have any gym clothes though, gonna be a week until I have any. How do people bring their supplements and shakes to the gym? Should I just take them before I leave the house. I don't mind taking pills before I work out, but carrying a shake around and having the powder resolidify sounds pretty rough.

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Just go home and drink your shake. Trust me, the half hour won't make much of a difference.

12. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Damn. I read everything on IA when I was getting started. A shame the site looks to be destroyed?

GraphicNovelty - How long have you been training?

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Just go home and drink your shake. Trust me, the half hour won't make much of a difference.

What about stimulants you take before you work out? Don't really want to take them and have them wear out before I get to the gym.

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

I've been "working out" for a while, but training? Well, since this post in january I've run about 8 weeks of Starting Strength to get my #'s up and basically a couple hypertropy splits built around the big lifts (bench day/squat day/dl day) to fill out a bit more (pushing weight/reps the entire time). Now that I've gotten big enough to be happy in the near future, I've switched to Wendler's. I'm on the 3rd week of my 1st cycle, But I've used calculated, rather than tested 1RM's so I have to raise the #'s a bit for the next cycle. Right now my Bench total max is 245 and my DL max is 285ish (I think i can do 300 but I tired myself out trying to pull 315 yestreday), and I'm gonna try figuring out both Squat and OHP this week.

15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

What about stimulants you take before you work out? Don't really want to take them and have them wear out before I get to the gym.
    How long does it take you to get to the gym? Your stimulants will last long enough unless you live 3 hours away. I think pounding down shakes and popping pills in the gym right before/after working out is douchebaggery. Drink you caffeine or whatever an hour before working out, get to the gym, finish your workout and get the hell out. Go home and drink your shake. You'll be fine.

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Finally joined a gym so I can stop lifting at home and start doing squats. I don't have any gym clothes though, gonna be a week until I have any. How do people bring their supplements and shakes to the gym? Should I just take them before I leave the house. I don't mind taking pills before I work out, but carrying a shake around and having the powder resolidify sounds pretty rough.

I put my powders (BCAA's for pre and during WO) in a shaker and toss it in my gym bag. Then just add water at the gym.

17. A Y

A Y Senior member

Novice, intermediate, and advanced are indicators of your ability to recover from a workout.

A novice can only recruit so much muscle, so their body recovers in about 48 hours, and they can work out again with a little more weight. An intermediate recruits more muscle, and stresses their body enough that they need about a week to recover. An advanced lifter is anything beyond that.

Some people are stronger than others or have better recovery or they're older or younger, or something else, so one person at an intermediate lifting level may move less weight than someone else at a novice level. Those charts are kind of silly because of this.

And because of this, programming changes as you advance. Texas Method, for example, is an intermediate program, and uses weekly cycles: your heavy days are placed a week apart. Starting Strength, being a novice program, uses 48-hour cycles: you squat every other day, adding a bit more weight each time.

--Andre

18. APK

APK Senior member

That chart makes me realize how lacking I am in certain respects. Though to be fair, I've spent most of 2010 focusing on fat-loss type weight training programs (think stuff like the FL programs from the New Rules of Lifting or anything from Romaniello).

Now that I'm doing intermittent fasting, I'm actually sticking to a steady caloric deficit and dropping fat accordingly. I'm going to switch it up to a hypertrophy or strength program once I start a slow, clean bulk later this fall. We'll see if my numbers on those charts rise accordingly.

19. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I've been "working out" for a while, but training?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation that you've been training for 4 months and bench 250 and I've been going 18 months and don't want to say what I bench.

20. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation that you've been training for 4 months and bench 250 and I've been going 18 months and don't want to say what I bench.

If you look at the linked thread, he states hes been working out for 3 years, and other than squats and deadlifts (which were recently added), everything is working his upper body. Given that, its not THAT surprising that he can bench a lot.

Maybe his body is just better built for benching, I dunno, but there are a lot of things to take into account before simply discounting how much you bench after 18 months.

Graphic, do you like Wendler? It's pretty low volume compared to SS.