Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

You can't deadlift 3 times a week, maybe once a week at most nor can you as effectively train your legs. If your pulling conventional your lower bag will usually fatigue before your legs, where as with a squat your quads should go out first. I disagree thats its easier to learn. Everyone fucks it up by bending they're lower back and not pushing with their legs. Pretty easy to squat, if your doing high bar you just sit down and stand up.

2. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quads going out first? For a very few people. And for a lot of people performing squats with poor form/leverage.

For most people, it'll be somewhere in their posterior chain or core.

But yes, I do agree that you need to both deadlift AND squat.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

3. jbw

jbw Active Member

Okay. yes. thanks. Let me put it another way. As a whole body mass builder the deadlift is in the same category as the squat. Some say it is better then the squat. It is much easier to learn then the squat, less awkward, and much harder to injure yourself with. The argument for the superiority of the squat is in functional training. That's why Rippetoe loves it so much. He trains athletes. His job is to give them something in the weight room which will make them better on the field. But if you're not an athlete, then you don't need that transferability. So you are just using it as a mass builder. So why not use an easier mass builder? Not saying the squat is bad or anything, just wondering why so much genuflecting before it.

4. jbw

jbw Active Member

Certainly wouldn't suggest it 3x a week, maybe 2x a week. I think you can get the basics of the deadlift down from youtube. I think for a squat you need to be trained by someone who actually knows how to squat right. Again, not arguing that the squat sucks or anything, just think the deadlift deserves more airtime then the squat given who participates on this forum. Just an opinion.

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

A lot of people can't. Everybody's seen the guy at the gym doing god knows what with his knees legs and back while pulling, and at low weights it's less an issue, but they think they're boss and will fuck themselves up one day.

6. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Pavel's PTTP has deadlifts 3-4x a week. It seems to work for some people.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

I do hear you talking, but I'm not sure you're drawing the right conclusions. As you say, most would consider the DL to be simpler. Nobody suggests squatting without also dl'ing. Therefor, more airtime is given to the squat as it is on some order more difficult to master.

Case in point, stinger has knee pain with squats, and I don't believe he's been given the correct answer yet. I would put money on - it's your foot angle / knee tracking.

edit: And of course some individuals can DL 3x / week and other individuals can train that capacity and other individuals would crash and burn and yet others could manage it with the appropriate percentiles.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

8. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Can't be, he said his technique is fine... but yes, if the foot is not aligned with the leg that will put unnecessary torque on the knee joint.

9. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Does anybody here actually enjoy doing the squat? I know a lot of people who force themselves to do it because its so good but I don't think I've met anybody that wants to do it.

10. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

You train with the wrong people.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I'm way past the point where I'm lifting for appearance - I do OL because I honestly enjoy it, not because it'll give me a freaky back or whatever. External motivation is good, but it gets one only so far. At least in my case.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

11. fuji

fuji Senior member

Love the squat, I like it significantly less then the deadlift because my deadlift is much stronger, but I still think the squat is an enjoyable lift, much more so then like the press. I think its quite fun belting up, getting under the bar, getting your back tight and your feet in a good solid position. I couldn't pull twice a week, the DOMS from 3x3 already last several days. Squats yeah the next day im sore and tired, but nothing compared to deads.

12. virus646

virus646 Senior member

I can also say I love to squats but prefer box squatting more than conventional which is what I've been doing since the past weeks. But nothing beat a max effort dead lift :slayer:

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

I do box squats too. Could be why I like them as well. I went ass to grass for a couple sets on Tuesday and I hated it.

14. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

When I got up to 320 on my squat I started having achy knees, but then again I was squatting on a smith machine which I think was what caused it. Recently joined a new gym and started at 270 on a legit squat rack without problem. So lesson learned, don't squat on a smith machine.

But yeah I agree knee pain from squats/deadlifts is typically caused by knee tracking or going up on the toes too much. It can also be caused by pushing too much with the knees when going up and not driving with your hips/ass like you should be.

And squatting is one of my favorite lifts, probably because I've gone up 120-130lbs since May, which is insanely motivating progress, I'm now squatting 1.8xbw. :slayer:

I'd probably like deadlifts if I didn't bottleneck on my triceps which makes me keep almost dropping the bar, even on alt grip.

DL is harder IMO. Squat form, once you get it down, is basically an easily memorized movement. Deadlifting I find myself constantly having to check the position of the bar over my feet on each rep, resetting my hands for optimal grip and still feel like I'm using my back too much.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

15. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

lol, ya?