Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

did these today before workout:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

sort of helped, left shoulder still in so much pain. could not do a pullup. hanging is fine but right when i start pulling up there is sharp pain down my arm to my shoulder.

my squat is also absolutely shit. i am considering using the machine until i can strength my lower body.

god this is depressing. i am a little frustrated. especially now that i cannot even do a pullup. damnit

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Yeah, noticed the new Chinese technique as well, remains to be seen whether it'll become the new standard.

I basically have my pinky slipping out on some cleans, my coach prefers lifters to have a good grip with none of that - I guess it's to better prepare for the jerk.. I mean, the less you need to adjust at the top the better, right? I'll just do as he says, it's not like I'm in a position to argue any of his methods.

Probably starting to sound like a broken record here, but if you want to get better at squatting, then squat god damn it. I repeat, do not drop the movement. You need to find the groove and get that stabilization going on, which you won't get on any machines. If absolutely necessary, I guess you could add sets on the leg machines on top of the squats if you feel you really, really need them and are lacking some serious strength in your lower body.

As to the shoulder, it's ice/heat, NSAIDs and stretching/SMR work (foam rollers are a godsend).

3. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

yes i hear you. i think it was my ego speaking earlier. we all have to start somewhere. for me that is right about 85lb (if the bar weighs at 45lb).

my legs wobble and started bending inward today. first time too.

thanks for telling me this, i need the extra confidence boost.

4. jbw

jbw Active Member

^you know, I think you overdid it and hurt your shoulder. Take two weeks off the weights. Go back really light. If it still hurts see a doctor.

And you're a beginner. You can do machines for a while to build some strength and confidence. that's okay. If you are squatting a total of 85lbs and your legs are wobbling and bending inward you will get plenty of benefit from machines. You can come back to the squat in six months or a year. It isn't going anywhere.

5. fuji

fuji Senior member

Or he can keep squatting and reduce the weight......

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Yeah, but good technique isn't magically going to develop if you AVOID the actual lift.

7. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Chad Waterbury (I think) recommended the best way to improve your pullup is to perform one set in the AM and one set in the PM to failure a day. I have done XxY sets for years and never got any better. I am getting better on 1 set to fatigue 3x / week.

8. CodPiece

CodPiece Senior member

Gettoasty, do you squat without the bar? Do you warm up with just the bar? I'm old, so I'm going to be conservative with my warmups.

Using lighter weights, I found that I have to really point my toes out to something like 150 degree angle. My knees stay put and my back is correct. Experiment with foot position rather than adding weight.

Here you can see where I figured out the best foot position around Sept 2:

[​IMG]

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Fuji: Have you tried rotating the stalled lifts? Forgive me if you said you did but sometimes I just can't read. And you're also not supposed to press 2x a week every week. It's a 4 day routine split in 3 days. Press twice one week and legs twice the other week. Bench is not supposed to go as fast as DL and Squats. Try close grip benching, floor presses, rack presses or paused benching for a while and see what it does for you. SPBR is really a good program once you know how to use it properly.Keep lifting bro, it's frustrating sometimes but if this shit was easy, everyone would be big and strong. Just my 2 cents.

gettoasty: Rotator cuffs is good stuff. Keep doing them before workout, you can also do them with cables like ex do. I would suggest you keep squatting even if it's shitty weight, like the others already said, you only learn by doing a thousand of them. So reduce the weight, do them properly, eat like a champ and you'll get results pretty quickly :slayer:

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Right I'm taking a week off or at least until the 1st of October. I usually do my squats around 90kg, srtuggled through 60kg, Romanian deadlift is usually around 110kg, struggled through 80kg and I've had doms in my legs since last saturday. this is my 4th shit workout in a row. When I come back im gonna cut even more volume. I'm not eating 5000 calories a day anymore so I know my lifts aren't gonna be as strong, but this is ridiculous. Might have a light deload too, getting really frustrated. Im starting MMA a couple times a week next month anyway so I won't be able to deal with so much volume anyway.

1. Deadlift 3x3
    Squat 3x8

2. Bench press 3x5
    Chins ups 3 sets to failure

3. Squat 3x5
    Romanian deadlift 3x5

4. Military press 3x5
    Chin ups 3 sets to failure.

11. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

I started squatting last week at 88lb, im at 120lb now. Watch rippetoes videos on form. When i tried squats a while back my legs used to buckle in, but i havent had any problems since starting this time around with a low weight and slowly progressing. Start as low as you need to for the form to be perfect, dont worry what others think.

Also, my shoulders dont like benching. Even doing the movement without weight, they make a click/pop especially the right one. Its on the downward movement when my upper arm goes below shoulder level, something pops. If i put my fingers just past the end of the collarbone i can feel something pop. It doesnt hurt but it feels and sounds pretty nasty. I dont know what to make of it.

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

getting really good macros recently with my cleaned up diet. Probably getting nearly as much protein at around 2500 calories a day as I was at 5000 or more.

1760 calories
    180g of protein
    59g of carbs

Not using any supplements and the only carbs im getting are from yoghurt or berries.

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

So is this something to be proud over? Especially since you're putting in more work with the MMA.

14. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

Tim Ferriss is a massive cunt.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

"oh hay guys did you hear about that book the 4 hour body? yeah youre doing everything wrong and youre stupid for not reading this book. i am better than you. excuse me while i jerk off to tony robbin's voice."

-condensed version of everything ive ever heard about this guy