Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Was the pain muscle burn or just pain?

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

3. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Goals for October:

Drop down to 180lb
    Be able to a front and rear lever.

4. fuji

fuji Senior member

Did dumbbell bench for about a month because my flat bench stalled. Switched back to flat bench and its gone up 7.5kg even after a shit pre workout meal of only 120g of blue berries and 480g of pork.

5. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Q for the O guys here: when you rack your cleans, do you have some fingers slipping from under the bar, and then correct the grip on the rebound if you're jerking the weight?

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I've gotten really shit at chin ups and I figure the best way to get better at them is doing them lots. Will doing 3x5 every day fuck with my recovery?

I really hate training upper body, I just get bored and frustrated because my bench press is so shockingly shit. I got 77.5kg for 5 today. Wish I could just ditch military press and bench press and just deadlift and squat and occasionally row.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Back on 5/3/1. Gonna start up a running program the girl made me. Kettleball stuff was fun, but it turned into a mad grind after a while.

Deadlifted for the first time in a while today. That head rush was so nice :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

I wouldn't mind going back on 5/3/1, it's a great program. IA SPBR is pretty shit. Too much pressing, how am I supposed to Bench press for 3x5, incline press for 3x8 and then over head press for 3x8 in one workout 2 times a week and increase weight. Might just switch to something like this. Its similar, but with less volume. Added some speed work because my bench press is painfully slow even with low weight. I don't have any weak points, I just move the bar really slowly and always rest at the top. Same with my Squat and deadlift, but they're still going up so i'm not as fussed.

1. Squat 5x5
    Romanian deadlift 3x5
    Power Clean 2x5
    Row 3x5

2. Bench press 3x5
    Seated Dumbbell press 3x5
    Light explosive bench press 5x2

3. Deadlift 3x3
    Squat 5x5
    Front squat 3x3 speed reps
    Chin ups 3x5

4. Seated dumbbell press 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Light explosive bench press 5x2

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

i had the best success with the spbr by cutting one set from all the lifts and replacing one of the 3x8 shoulder presses with an upright row or lateral, something wes endorsed in his spbr thread. i think the point of that program is a very simple way of boosting your 3 main lifts by giving you dumb-proof assistance. wes even stated increase weight as you're able, not go for linear progression week to week. ie. if your bench is moving up, no need to fret about a 3x8 db press stalling.

10. fuji

fuji Senior member

Theres stupidly little leg work. He has you doing 2x5 squats. Dropping some of the sets is probably a good idea. I don't like how theres no emphasis on the press as a lift. I'm trying to cut down on assistance, I don't see too much point in the incline press twice a weak either or the tricep iso work, curl work and calf work. I might add some additional assistance work on the bench days, but I don't think I really need to. Considering my press and bench numbers are pretty low I don't think I need to do anything but press and bench.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

but you just said there's too much pressing and all you talk about is doing preacher curl drop sets for bicep size :trollface:

hehe either way im just messing with you. probably a broken record at this point but ex's routine is doing great things for me, give it a try. only 3x a week though

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

12. fuji

fuji Senior member

They worked for a while, but I've dropped them now. Weight on them isn't going up anymore though so im gonna stop doing them for a while and do more back work. I've actually done it for a while now with some modifications to the leg days.

13. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

Yes. I have a narrower grip for the clean than jerk, as I feel a narrower grip allows me to get my elbows up better and make a better platform for the rack, so often it is just the very tips of my fingers keeping it in position on my shoulders. Once I'm racked, I readjust my grip wider for the jerk, and get my hands to more under and around the bar.

14. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

If you aren't just lifting, remember this:

Fast and smart before dumb and slow.

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah, sometimes lose my pinky off the bar, sometimes I don't. At the top, I switch to a little bit wider grip for the jerk and make sure all of my fingers are around the bar.

Btw, cool vid here: